Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 763235 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #3840 on: September 04, 2020, 08:48:42 pm »

Uh, how do I get it to work?  I used the SVN checkout of the Github page, but I can't see anything to start the game.  Are you sure you included Unity?  Maybe I didn't see the right version?

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: September 04, 2020, 09:24:26 pm »

Apologies, github stuck the release in a different place than I expected.
If you go to https://github.com/ndilday/CMTest/releases and expand the "assets" attached to the release, you'll see a zip that you should be able to just toss onto any 64-bit PC and run. (Down the road, I'll fiddle with a UNIX build.)
Or, you download the code, you can run it within Unity.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: September 06, 2020, 04:51:41 pm »

Thanks, it loads fine.

EDIT: The writing is quite small, could it be enlarged or made able to be enlarged?
It's a nice demo, but I can't seem to figure out how to do anything.  Once I enter a menu, I seem trapped with the only way out to exit the program.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: September 06, 2020, 06:44:13 pm »

Thanks, it loads fine.

EDIT: The writing is quite small, could it be enlarged or made able to be enlarged?
It's a nice demo, but I can't seem to figure out how to do anything.  Once I enter a menu, I seem trapped with the only way out to exit the program.

It's also blurry text, which makes it worse. It's something I'll work on. I can pump the size in the next version in the interim.
Escape will take you out of a menu.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: September 12, 2020, 10:16:15 am »

This release took me a little longer than I anticipated due to getting mired in refactoring hell (no promises that it won't happen again). v0.1.2 has improved modeling of ranged combat (with rate of fire, weapon recoil, the ability to run-n'-gun, and weapon accuracy taken into account), unit movement in battle improved, and melee combat actually happening now. (To try and highlight that, the termagant squads have been replaced with hormagaunt squads.)
https://github.com/ndilday/CMTest/releases/tag/v0.1.2
Theoretically, I was going to do terrain and cover and then call this 0.2.0... I'm rethinking that a little now. I may leave the battle view this basic, for now, and focus on some of the management pieces of the game for a bit, in part because everything about terrain and cover feel like they'd require a dive into visuals/tiles/etc, pathfinding, and more unit AI, and I sort of want to break out of that section of the code for a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: September 12, 2020, 10:40:45 am »

Hm, I've never played the tabletop game, but I thought one advantage of Space Marines is their ability to generally ignore cover and terrain.  So you can certainly ignore it as long as it doesn't seem very interesting.

I like the idea of a newly-formed Space Marine Chapter that still have some growing to do.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: September 12, 2020, 11:56:36 am »

Hm, I've never played the tabletop game, but I thought one advantage of Space Marines is their ability to generally ignore cover and terrain.  So you can certainly ignore it as long as it doesn't seem very interesting.

I like the idea of a newly-formed Space Marine Chapter that still have some growing to do.
Hm. I'm trying to think to what aspect of the lore you'd've gotten that impression from. Certainly, being good at both ranged and close combat means Marines are comfortable whether the battle gets in close or stays far away, so they don't need to push forward the way Orks or Tyranids do. But most of their weapons are still direct fire, so it's not as though they can sit behind a hill or don't care if the enemy is behind a wall. (Of course, this is lore following gameplay, because there's not a great reason why, in the distant future, there aren't more indirect/seeking weapons, other than it not being fun in a tactical boardgame to have all your units sit behind mountains lobbing seeker missiles and mortars.)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: September 12, 2020, 12:56:42 pm »

Could also make the argument that being tough and armored means they don't need to worry about cover so much, because they can take some fire in the open.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: September 12, 2020, 01:10:57 pm »

It's probably the same as the reason given in lore for why frontline spess mehreens don't wear camouflage instead of their bright heraldic colours: they're armoured enough to ignore much of small-arms fire, and walking out into combat so openly terrifies the enemy. It's better to compare them to real life tanks than infantrymen in this aspect. Of course, real life tanks do still use camouflage and certain forms of cover, so some rule of cool is in play.

For the actual project, consider this a PTW. I'll definitely want to see what it'll become once development progresses a bit.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: September 22, 2020, 11:38:12 am »

I was totally right, got mired in refactor hell again over the weekend, so it took me a couple of more days than I desired to get this build ready.
https://github.com/ndilday/CMTest/releases/tag/v0.2.0
Soldiers gain experience, you can check out their injuries/recovery time, and transfer/promote them.

I'm anticipating a v0.3.0 release with some minor cleanup/improvement in some of the dialogs; as always, you can check out the roadmap: https://trello.com/b/9fv5Endv/cmtest

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: September 24, 2020, 08:49:16 pm »

A smaller release that I could get out relatively quickly to make up for the slowness in getting out the previous one. Bigger text, some icons and color to help tell the state of your squads, and other small quality of life improvements. Available at https://github.com/ndilday/CMTest/releases/tag/v0.3.0

Looking at the project roadmap, I'm predicting one more tech demo release, and then, hopefully, v0.5.0 will be the first official alpha release. At that point, I should have the features in place for a basic game of swatting down bugs as they appear at planets in a pitched battle style similar to IAM. I am anticipating dealing with solider/squad assignment to transports to be a visual nightmare, so I don't have any predicts on the next two releases, other than I'd be shocked if they each only take a week. I'm hoping for alpha by the end of October, but we'll see how it goes.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: September 24, 2020, 09:38:47 pm »

Wow.  Keep up the good work!

BP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: September 24, 2020, 11:24:11 pm »

Love the potential! Keeping an eye on your Trello and GitHub!

I tried out 0.3, pretty cool.

Hope you keep having fun with it and look forward to giving the alpha a try!

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: October 01, 2020, 08:24:30 pm »

I wanted to get this out yesterday, but the day of bugfixing did some good, I think it's mostly playable now.

https://github.com/ndilday/CMTest/releases/tag/v0.4.0

Additions this time around:
- ugly blue squad rectangles replaced with slightly-less-ugly man-circles that you can hover over.
- your fleet actually functions now, with the ability to move squads or whole units onto given ships, and send sets of ships off around the sector. No more bugs on your home planet... now there are bug units on the pink planets.
- There's a little more variety in the bugs now, with Primes, Broodlords, and Hive Tyrants. I found I could take out the warrior company with my half-strength 2nd company. Leave the melee lads at home, for now, would be my strategic advice.

This should be the last pre-alpha release, unless y'all find bugs in the basic game loop that I missed. Next up will an alpha release, v0.5.0, that will mostly be about save/load logic, but that I might throw some little battle tweaks in, too, or get your apothecaries able to slap cybernetics onto the soldiers who have gotten their arms or legs blown off. (Or, more realistically, given the weapons the Tyranids use, eaten through by maggots or acid or acid maggots.)

I should probably also come up with a better name for the project than "CMTest" then, too; suggestions welcome. "Only War: The New Chapter" is my current thought, as it pays homage to what came before while also fulfilling my desire for wordplay.

BP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: October 01, 2020, 08:50:15 pm »

Awesome stuff! Looking forward to trying it out, acid maggots and all!

Only War is a pretty cool name, I’m into it for sure
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 288