Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 753457 times)

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #4020 on: March 28, 2021, 11:02:16 am »

I wanted to take a break from writing code for a bit to learn a new skill, so I installed Blender and have been consuming tutorials. I filed the Blood Angel bits (and all of the textures) off this, nabbed a few textures from cc0 Textures for the room, and spent yesterday building this replacement for the weird necron-looking art on the chapter screen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is it good? No. Is it good relative to a manager/programmer with 0 art ability/experience? I'm going to say yes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: March 28, 2021, 03:07:51 pm »

Completely serviceable considering you have no experience. I'll take acceptable lore-appropriate over place holder jank any day of the week. It really does help me connect with the game. I think part of the reason CM was so successful initially was the styling (and bold if possibly unwise use of quality assets.)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 02:33:23 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Guardsman111

• Bay Watcher
  • 91st Special Action Regiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: March 29, 2021, 12:38:31 pm »

That's an excellent shot! Perfectly Space Mariney!

I know how hard blender is when you have no clue what you're looking at, so it's an excellent first start! Most of my stuff looks blobby :(

Check out Special Space Force, an army management sci-fi strategy game, at www.bitsparkentertainment.co.uk

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: March 29, 2021, 01:20:18 pm »

That's an excellent shot! Perfectly Space Mariney!

I know how hard blender is when you have no clue what you're looking at, so it's an excellent first start! Most of my stuff looks blobby :(

It's a great proving ground of how my brain doesn't work like an artist. When people sculpt in Blender, I just don't get it. For me, it's about taking cubes or circles and trying to move every vertex to a reasonable spot while constantly swapping back and forth between orthographic perspectives.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: March 31, 2021, 08:06:52 pm »

Nice models!  They certainly look fine to me.

Guardsman111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: April 03, 2021, 12:14:47 pm »

The start of player interaction with enemies is going into SSF right now, if you want to see a little about how you're going to interact with the game i made a little video on it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XTYc_Y7ufI

It's brief, but it gives you a little more info about whats gunna happen in the game :) I hope you like it :D
Check out Special Space Force, an army management sci-fi strategy game, at www.bitsparkentertainment.co.uk

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: April 03, 2021, 05:48:54 pm »

Nice!  Short but sweet video (2 minutes)!

Guardsman111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: April 18, 2021, 09:41:16 am »

Another quick video - this time a look at how the xml code works behind the threat system, something that anyone is able to mod! More in depth guides will come later, as well as the xml files will contain much more information, but feel free to leave any feedback on the system currently in place!

Link - https://youtu.be/4KU9EEAbrvQ

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: April 18, 2021, 01:10:10 pm »

Quick note that Only War v0.5.4 is up at https://github.com/ndilday/OnlyWar/releases/tag/v0.5.4
Just a couple of adds this time around, really: the ability for the cults to ambush your Space Marines if they go nosing around a planet they're hidden on. Also, grenade launchers for them, since lasguns aren't known for their ability to break through Marine armor.
I also theoretically added slightly better debug data in the Windows version.

Still in the middle of playtesting, got my Chapter mostly reformed, just have to promote the Scouts.  It saved once, now to see if it saves again!

Guardsman111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: April 19, 2021, 11:16:36 am »

Two posts in one week - Madness!

I'm trying to think up a new name to replace Special Space Force, and have taken some suggestions from the discord server and created a quick poll - if you have a spare moment, please consider voting! Link - https://linkto.run/p/BJOKW1JY

If you have any suggestions, fire away here or on the discord server - https://discord.gg/XP58gxH8wY

Have an awesome day everyone  8)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: April 19, 2021, 11:28:30 am »

I like Special Space Force  :P

Guardsman111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: April 20, 2021, 09:05:15 am »

I also kinda like it, but I also feel like it's a bit... Unprofessional... But we'll see the results of the poll soon!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: April 20, 2021, 12:36:38 pm »

Yes, the completely inappropriate double meaning of "special" is why I liked it.  :P

SirNuke

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: May 09, 2021, 03:20:30 pm »

Hello everyone.

A friend and I decided to begin working on reviving Chapter Master way back in August 2020. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to post about it here and only posted about it on the 40k subreddit.

We're making slow but steady progress, as we've only worked on it in our spare time and had to put it on two long hiatuses due to life stuff.

I had originally intended to follow the old Chapter Master's design document to the letter, but I realized that so much more could be done with the idea so I decided to change and expand upon it.

The roleplaying aspect of the game will be expanded upon greatly, making things like managing your Captains and balancing their loyalties, purging undesirable aspects of culture within your battle-companies and encouraging desirable ones, rivalries between characters, event chains and personal quests, etc. Much of this was inspired by the way characters work in Crusader Kings.

Battles will, unfortunately, have to be reduced in scale, as there will be a visual element to them this time around. Having literally thousands of individuals onscreen at once is a little difficult to achieve, and so instead, battles will be reduced to Dawn of War I-scale battles. Instead of thousands of individuals, you are limited to a couple hundred at most. For now, at least. If we find a way to increase it without destroying performance, we will. They will also be objective-focused, both to simulate the way Space Marines are used in lore (breaching actions, spearheading charges, sabotaging the enemy, etc.) and the fact that killing a few thousand of an enemy won't be enough to stop a planetary invasion.

Planetary campaigns, sector-wide events, and even the ability to play as other races among many other features are planned, to be implemented in the long run.

All of the work thus far has been put into making basic game features such as random sector generation work. There is still a lot of work to be done before we can get to gameplay.

It's ambitious, which is why any and all help is greatly appreciated, be it assistance with programming or the creation of art assets.

Here's the link to our Github repository:
https://github.com/ChapterMasterRestoration/Chapter-Master-Restoration

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: May 09, 2021, 07:22:06 pm »

Wow, another contender enters the ring!

I like how they all are different.  Balancing the loyalties of the command staff is an awesome addition by our newest contender, "Chapter Master Restoration".
No idea if I'll be able to get Restoration to actually work (I suck at compiling).
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 288