Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 753493 times)

BP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #4230 on: January 04, 2022, 03:03:54 pm »

Awesome! I just finished my little testing and was gonna report it was something with the empty scout squads! Unfortunately the save function stopped working for me after a while so time to start over, I'm gonna jump on v0.6.1 now and see what else i can break!

Some questions for ya!
Anything special to fulfill a governors request right now? I noticed alot of them when i land troops nothing happens, which is line with what you said about them jumping at shadows! I've been fighting genestealer cutlists on a planet for quite a few turns, are the battles eternal right now?

Can only one battle happen a turn in the current build? I have troops on three different worlds with Governors asking for assistance and only one is engaging in battle.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: January 04, 2022, 03:41:07 pm »

Anything special to fulfill a governors request right now? I noticed alot of them when i land troops nothing happens, which is line with what you said about them jumping at shadows!
A lot of this is intentionally vague. Your soldiers aren't the best at investigating underground cults, and how does one go about proving the absence of a cult? Really, this was a stopgap way of mixing things up a bit until I got some more content in. There's a chance, depending on how large the GC is on a planet, that your forces can be ambushed. It requires the squads to be marked active (to represent them being the ones wandering around trying to find evidence of xenos).

I've been fighting genestealer cutlists on a planet for quite a few turns, are the battles eternal right now?
You know, I thought I implemented some logic that, if you land on an enemy-controlled planet and win the combat, the enemy faction size would be diminished. But checking the code, it looks like I only did that for the case of a GC uprising on an imperial world. So yeah, they're either eternal, or you wipe out the armies and are then just sitting on an enemy world that no longer has any forces to throw at you... either way, not ideal. I've started to implement the new strategic logic today, since it's been a quiet day at work, and cleaning this up will happen naturally as part of implementing that.

Can only one battle happen a turn in the current build? I have troops on three different worlds with Governors asking for assistance and only one is engaging in battle.
There shouldn't be anything limiting it to a single battle a turn; I'd say check your player log to see if there was an exception causing it to bail out; otherwise, it's just the luck of the RNG.
EDIT: I'm pretty sure there are still some exceptions that can happen in the battle logic, too, so check the logs after a battle to see if there's anything amiss I should take a look at, in general. Though the RNG nature of battles can make reproducing the bugs way harder.... I may end up implementing some sort of RNG-seed setting during this alpha phase to try and ensure consistent results when sharing a save like that.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 03:45:48 pm by ndkid »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: January 04, 2022, 03:44:31 pm »

Obviously, you should just dump one Scout Squad on each planet, then when one gets wiped out, you know where to send the rest of the Chapter.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: January 04, 2022, 03:51:18 pm »

Obviously, you should just dump one Scout Squad on each planet, then when one gets wiped out, you know where to send the rest of the Chapter.
You raise a whole concept here that I haven't gotten to yet, which is: if you send a squad to some far off planet and they just stop reporting in, how much information should I give the player about what happened? Right now, that only occurs via battle, and the player gets a birds-eye view of every battle their marines are in all across the sector. In my quest for greater verisimilitude, I've pondered having the battles run behind the scenes, and only displaying them to the player if there are survivors... if not, then, once I have more of the mission system in, a squad disappearing would generate a mission to go find out what happened to them, which can lead to finding their helmet cam footage or some such, letting the player view the battle results. (Though it'd probably be more trouble to code up that way than it's worth, compared to just some text that says "you find Brother Marvelius's corpse and bring it back to the Battle Barge. Apothecary Sophistus and Techmarine Barthus examine the armor and vox recordings, and are able to confirm hat Marvelius died from an attack by genestealers".)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: January 04, 2022, 06:31:58 pm »

If I send a force to investigate a missing squad, do I get gene seed?
My biggest complaint about Duke's Chapter Master is that it is so swingy. 
You either crushed everything leading to no deaths and no gene seed OR every dies and nobody lives to collect the gene seed.

Unfortunately, lore-wise gene seed is only pure if obtained off someone you see die. 
Otherwise Chaos invariably corrupts the gene seed the very second it leaves your sight.

What if instead of finding a dead squad, the player finds a small band of survivors?  Scout Marines are trained to survive if they are outnumbered and outgunned rather than needlessly confront and die.  Their job is to report back if able, or hide until friendlies arrive so they can share intel.

My biggest complaint about Space Marines is that they're supposed to be smarter than the humans playing them, yet the humans are playing them, and the poor Space Marines are dumber because of it.

The advantage of this approach is that it creates a ticking clock: Each turn probably means one less survivor, so that eventually the Genestealers will probably pick them all off.  If you want the gene seed and combat veteran survivors, you better hurry!

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: January 04, 2022, 06:52:15 pm »

Assuming you find a body, my answer would be yes. Of course, in most circumstances, why would they leave a body around for you to find? So I think it'd depend on the context.

You either crushed everything leading to no deaths and no gene seed OR every dies and nobody lives to collect the gene seed.

I'm definitely thinking about this as part of the strategic layer. My current design thinking for this iteration is that planetary invasion looks something like this:
Stage 1: Planetfall, complete with drop pods, to form an airhead/lodgment.
Stage 2: Player has two sliders: one that's wall->spearhead for defining how concentrated your forces are, and one from "Make them pay for every inch you give" to "push them back at all costs".

As your forces expand from their initial lodgment, protecting their gains will require spreading thinner,  making them more vulnerable, and while pushing aggressively forward might be able to wrest control of the planet faster, it'll almost certainly come with more casualties. Whereas taking some time to thin out the enemy forces in advantageous engagements can make future advances far less risky.

Your point does have me thinking about whether I should implement some form of "leave no man behind" when I start working on retreats... of course, once I actually implement apothecaries properly, that won't be quite as necessary (though leaving behind a mostly intact suit of power armor still just seems wasteful).

Unfortunately, lore-wise gene seed is only pure if obtained off someone you see die. 
Otherwise Chaos invariably corrupts the gene seed the very second it leaves your sight.
I have been idly contemplating how I want to handle the concept of gene seed taint down the road. My initial inclination is for mutation, if I want to include it, to be a pretty slow, subtle thing, and certainly not as drastic as you describe.

What if instead of finding a dead squad, the player finds a small band of survivors?  Scout Marines are trained to survive if they are outnumbered and outgunned rather than needlessly confront and die.  Their job is to report back if able, or hide until friendlies arrive so they can share intel.
I may change my mind later, but I think the way I'd handle this scenario is that it'd just be a battle with survivors... I'm currently hand-waving all squads having the technology to communicate with you within the week that a turn represents, so I'm not currently building in a situation where a force would "go dark" and have to be searched for and found alive later. I'll consider it, though... though the idea of anyone taking a Space Marine prisoner seems like such a bad idea...

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: January 04, 2022, 07:00:03 pm »

Assuming you find a body, my answer would be yes. Of course, in most circumstances, why would they leave a body around for you to find? So I think it'd depend on the context.

I'm definitely thinking about this as part of the strategic layer. My current design thinking for this iteration is that planetary invasion looks something like this:
Stage 1: Planetfall, complete with drop pods, to form an airhead/lodgment.
Stage 2: Player has two sliders: one that's wall->spearhead for defining how concentrated your forces are, and one from "Make them pay for every inch you give" to "push them back at all costs".

As your forces expand from their initial lodgment, protecting their gains will require spreading thinner,  making them more vulnerable, and while pushing aggressively forward might be able to wrest control of the planet faster, it'll almost certainly come with more casualties. Whereas taking some time to thin out the enemy forces in advantageous engagements can make future advances far less risky.

Your point does have me thinking about whether I should implement some form of "leave no man behind" when I start working on retreats... of course, once I actually implement apothecaries properly, that won't be quite as necessary (though leaving behind a mostly intact suit of power armor still just seems wasteful).
In any case, I think it's true that the current combat system has a lot more range between no casualties and TPK!

I have been idly contemplating how I want to handle the concept of gene seed taint down the road. My initial inclination is for mutation, if I want to include it, to be a pretty slow, subtle thing, and certainly not as drastic as you describe.

I may change my mind later, but I think the way I'd handle this scenario is that it'd just be a battle with survivors... I'm currently hand-waving all squads having the technology to communicate with you within the week that a turn represents, so I'm not currently building in a situation where a force would "go dark" and have to be searched for and found alive later. I'll consider it, though... though the idea of anyone taking a Space Marine prisoner seems like such a bad idea...

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: January 04, 2022, 09:12:08 pm »

Alright, another couple of problematic bugs knocked out and v0.6.2 available: https://github.com/ndilday/OnlyWar/releases/tag/v0.6.2

- scout squads should be automatically deleted when the last member is moved out of the squad, since at this stage of development, it doesn't add any value keeping them around, and they were causing some bugs elsewhere (though hopefully I fixed that problem, as well)
- kill tracking was causing a bug that I think was corrupting saves, so I've put in a fix for that

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: January 04, 2022, 09:41:26 pm »

Hmm... getting there too late, geneseed already got some "bad" handy mutations in it, just stow that away "for disposal", yes. We definitely don't like those nasty mad mutations around here.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: January 04, 2022, 09:57:06 pm »

Hm, but what if I need more Scout Squads?
-EJ intentionally breaking it.

EDIT: Posted a couple bug reports.  I also noticed another folder "Only War_ The Next Chapter" with additional info.
EDIT1: Did you know that one Assault Squad with no Sargent always starts with an Assault Trooper?
EDIT2: Got a combat bug for some variety.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: January 05, 2022, 12:15:32 pm »

Alright, new pseudo-release up at https://github.com/ndilday/OnlyWar/releases/tag/v0.6.2.1
This is really just a release to try and help diagnose what's going wrong with saves, though there is one other bugfix in there, as well.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: January 09, 2022, 04:57:57 am »

There isn't any file to get it going...
Ok, the newest release is only Source Code, nothing compiled.  I can't figure out how to compile, so not much I can do here.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: January 09, 2022, 09:06:34 am »

Whoops, forgot to attach the windows build, added now.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: January 09, 2022, 02:55:17 pm »

Thanks!

BP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: January 31, 2022, 12:10:39 am »

I thought i was just a big dummy and didn't know how to use it haha
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 288