Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 763715 times)

Blogaugis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #4260 on: December 10, 2022, 06:08:53 am »

My use-or-lose vacation time for the year means I have three-day weekends for the next several weeks and no plans for them other than playing games and seeing if I can't actually move a ticket on the Trello board to done for the first time in over a year. Fingers crossed but, as always, no promises.
Post the link(s) here as well, so that folks would know where to look.

At this point it may be better to create a separate thread with pinned links (or, links on the 1st page).

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: December 10, 2022, 01:15:04 pm »

But there's so much tradition now to unfinished SM Chapter Management games living in this thread! :-)

(If, say, two other folks say they want me to start a new thread, I will.)

In the interim, links that I haven't posted in a while.
The trello board where I track what I'm working on (One day, I may do the sensible thing and move this into the github project): https://trello.com/b/9fv5Endv/onlywar
The github project where the code and releases live: https://github.com/ndilday/OnlyWar
And, if any coders, artists, or sound/music folks are interested in getting involved in the project, my DMs are always open. (I've had authors reach out in the past... I'm not quite ready for that collab work yet, but one day.)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: December 10, 2022, 01:24:22 pm »

Yeah, I only played enough CM to see what all the fuss was about, but it was a lot of fun.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: December 10, 2022, 10:32:42 pm »

Hm, I wonder how this plays on my !!NEW!! laptop.  I never got far without crashing on my old one.

I hereby petition as one "other folk" requesting a new thread for ndkid CM. If there is no secondary supporting motion, I hereby retro-acto reserve the ability to create a thread on my own self-appointed authority for NdKid ChapterMaster Game - OnlyWar.

Good news: I was able to reform part of my chapter and lead it into battle!
Bad news: I was unable to save after the first battle.  Things were plugging along pretty well until I tried to help out a Planetary Governor by dropping troops and setting them on Front Line.  Then it crashed.

Thoughts: Besides the crashing, the biggest improvement that I would like is to be able to do stuff with less clicks.
Reforming your Chapter: Each Marine requires one click to move them, then one/two clicks to return to the squad from which the Marine left.
Loading your Marines is by squad.  So the battle barge, with a capacity of 350 marines and a maximum squad number of 10, requires 35 clicks to load and 35 clicks to unload, minimum.
Promoting Neophytes requires a click to the Conquistatorium, memorizing all the people you want to promote (scrap paper is an alternative), then going back to the Chapter tab.  Like, maybe my Neophytes could be color-coded based upon how ready they are for promotion?  Or symbols added to their name? Something so I don't have to refer to two different menus...

Quality of life additions:
The ability to promote a master to the Forge/Apothecary/Librarium.
Actual Veteran Equipment for First Company.
Being able to divide the Apothacarium and other Support units.

Well, it was fun.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: December 11, 2022, 03:23:08 pm »

Huh boy its been an age and a half since i looked into this particular thread. So question, because i probably missed something completely obvious but how do i use ndkids github version? I downloaded the zip but there is no exe or anything to...you know start the game?

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: December 11, 2022, 04:55:32 pm »

Huh boy its been an age and a half since i looked into this particular thread. So question, because i probably missed something completely obvious but how do i use ndkids github version? I downloaded the zip but there is no exe or anything to...you know start the game?
If you downloaded https://github.com/ndilday/OnlyWar/releases/download/v0.6.2.1/OnlyWar-0.6.2.1.zip , I see an exe at the top level, Only War The Next Chapter.exe. If you downloaded one of the source code zips, then you'd need to compile it in Unity, but it sounds like that's not what you want.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: December 12, 2022, 10:59:44 am »

...shit.

Thank you very much and i need to read better what i am downloading :P

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: December 12, 2022, 01:19:35 pm »

...shit.

Thank you very much and i need to read better what i am downloading :P
No no, thank you for giving my half-assed alpha a whirl. Hopefully you have at least a few moments of fun before it crashes on you! :-D

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: December 17, 2022, 05:47:20 pm »

I'm definitely not close to a new release, but I'm definitely getting closer. It'd be cool if I have something ready before the end of the holiday season. I had a fun bittersweet moment this week, as I was struggling with how to make the strategic system work, which is a problem I've been facing for a year, basically, and I was getting frustrated trying to find the right way to wireframe the UI, and doing research... and then, immediately after I came up with a design that felt like it hung together reasonably well, I found my notes from a year ago outlining an almost, but not quite, identical approach. I guess I can take solace in the fact that I came to basically the same conclusion twice, independently, so it's probably the right one? Or I'm so unimaginative that I can't come up with more than one solution to the problem, even if I take a year off and forget that solution? :-D

Blogaugis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: December 18, 2022, 04:59:32 am »

I guess I can take solace in the fact that I came to basically the same conclusion twice, independently, so it's probably the right one? Or I'm so unimaginative that I can't come up with more than one solution to the problem, even if I take a year off and forget that solution? :-D
Considering that people's outlook on things tend to change when they grow older, at least slightly, I'd say it is the right conclusion if You came to the same one later.
It's a bit like writing a book - you write a first draft - then often end up finding better ways to write that all down. As look at my old writings, I often end up thinking: "I could write this in a better way..."

Still, theory is one thing - but seeing how it works in practise is another - let us know, how is it going trying to implement it.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: December 18, 2022, 02:00:23 pm »

Last night's pseudo-fever-dream, which was definitely not on the roadmap, was a sudden interest in drawing subsectors, which felt like it wanted to be solved via clustering, which led me down an internet rabbit hole of machine-learning related algorithms and some rapid prototyping. Around 4am (which is about five hours after my bedtime, because lockdown basically turned me into an old person) I had a working proof of concept that was performant enough to cluster planetary systems in a 100x100 grid in under 2 seconds. This will lead, down the road, to drawing nifty little shaders for subsector borders and probably some transit lines to differentiate ultra-well-trodden warp paths from going off-script (and the resulting likely slower travel time... I probably won't be implementing arriving before you left though, sorry.) But, for now, I'm just basking in quickly learning and implementing some fun algorithms. Now that I had a brief trip to funtown, I'll probably return to building out the new planetary details screen today.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: December 18, 2022, 05:30:14 pm »

A couple more trips into the Warp, and you'll be ready for a release that honors Slannesh!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: December 20, 2022, 03:52:41 pm »

Sometimes this thread feels like sisyphus' task but i am always glad to hear from it
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: December 20, 2022, 04:19:50 pm »

Sometimes this thread feels like sisyphus' task but i am always glad to hear from it
I agree entirely. One of the reasons I post to talk about progress (And one of the reasons I made the project open-source) is to not be the stereotypical creative on this thread, who says "Imma remake Chapter Master", spends a few months popping off at people who express skepticism, and then disappears. I may never get to the vision of a game I have in my head, but whatever I do produce, y'all will have access to. Basically, this thread is a form of commitment device for me. (Without it becoming a big negative that I grow to resent, because boy, have I been on the receiving end of plenty of those Kickstarter "I didn't want to make an update saying there had been no progress so I just went silent" posts, so I know that way lies madness.)

I am still working on turning battles from "land, one single battle, all done, world conquered" into something with more decision making and pieces to it. I wanted that subsystem to be moddable from the start, but I've convinced myself that I need to implement it in bespoke code first, and then come back later, see what I've wrought, and figure out how I can reshape it into something that makes sense in a text/xml file as part of game initialization.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: December 20, 2022, 11:14:07 pm »

Basically, this thread is a form of commitment device for me.

Your Oath of the Moment pinned at the Shrine of St. Duke.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 288