Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks  (Read 37559 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 12:19:43 am »

Leave the thread here ;)

Most scripts in the mdf dfhack are not standard.

Sorry if this seems a bit overaggressive, but unless you wrote the scripts yourself, it doesn't belong here.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 06:02:14 am »

It isn't really about who wrote them though is it? It's about how they interact with this mod.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 06:29:32 am »

I never wanted to take any credit for the scripts and plugins, I only want the players to know how to use the tools that are included in this pack.

I would understand if I was presenting it as a MW product, or claiming any part in it other that fiddling with things to figure out how they work, but as it stands, it's a tutorial of sorts on how to make the best use of all the scripts included in Masterwork v6.
This means that some parts of it are only relevant if you have all the scripts, plugins and key bindings with the same versions.

Oh well, not my intention to create polemic, I just wanted to ease the learning for other people, but sounds like putnam doesn't like that, sad coming from a modder.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 07:53:08 am »

Putnam what is going on with you lately? He just wanted to share tips on how to use scripts for other players, something so helpful I even want to add to the mdf manual when I am back. Coming by to post a link without any comment is a lot less helpful. I get that you dislike the sideeffects of MDFs popularity, but he is just helping other players by writing a small manual on how to use included features. Its like saying that writing on a wiki is wrong, just because you are not the author of the item you write about.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 11:13:37 am »

If the DFHack stuff is not totally exclusive to Masterwork, it does not belong in the Masterwork sub board. Posting it here gives a sort of exclusivity vibe. The people in the secret Masterwork club get this guide! People who never come here won't see it. It belongs in the DFHack subforum because it talks about DFHack and it does not talk about Masterwork. The Masterwork subforum is not where DFHack should be discussed or given guidance on, as Masterwork is not DFHack. That Masterwork contains DFHack does not make them the same thing, so putting a DFHack guide in the Masterwork subforum does not help people who don't actually play Masterwork but do use DFHack, of which there are many due to the Starter pack, which is not part of Masterwork. Masterwork does not hold exclusive rights to DFHack, thus the place where people discuss DFHack is more appropriate for DFHack guides than the place where people discuss Masterwork.

The fact that this was posted here before it was posted in the subforum dedicated specifically to DFHack or in the DF general discussion forum is exactly the side effects of MDF's popularity. It seems like... people just don't consider that not everyone plays Masterwork and that not everyone should. It's not that they think that everyone does or everyone should, it's that they don't think about it, so you end up with something that can be entirely separated from Masterwork in the Masterwork subforum.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:21:38 am by Putnam »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 11:40:09 am »

There you go, Putnam, but I will shut not be nice to anyone ranting about dfhack/plugin/script versions.

(I still don't agree, but now, get out, unless you actually have anything constructive to add to the actual topic, thank you.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:51:38 am by slay_mithos »
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 01:50:27 pm »

Posting it here gives a sort of exclusivity vibe. The people in the secret Masterwork club get this guide! People who never come here won't see it.
It seems like... people just don't consider that not everyone plays Masterwork and that not everyone should. It's not that they think that everyone does or everyone should, it's that they don't think about it

No one ever thinks like this.

ancient_vampire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 02:26:15 pm »

can somebody plz tell me the keybinding command for the "job material ui" for dfhack.init?

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 02:39:45 pm »

# workshop job details
keybinding add Alt-A@dwarfmode/QueryBuilding/Some/Workshop/Job gui/workshop-job

And for completion's sake (I doubt Meph will mind, but it's his config, so credits to him, not me)

Spoiler: dfhack.ini (click to show/hide)

ancient_vampire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 02:53:22 pm »

awesome, no more "cannot produce" worklfow messages

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 05:02:22 pm »

Posting it here gives a sort of exclusivity vibe. The people in the secret Masterwork club get this guide! People who never come here won't see it.
It seems like... people just don't consider that not everyone plays Masterwork and that not everyone should. It's not that they think that everyone does or everyone should, it's that they don't think about it

No one ever thinks like this.

I explicitly said that nobody thinks like this, in the quote you just gave. I said they don't think at all about it, which is a bit worse but not worth blaming anybody over. Basically, this topic is helpful and I'm glad it's around, but I think that it should be where it is now (the utilities section) instead of where it was before (the Masterwork subforum) because not everyone goes to the Masterwork subforum and this topic is entirely about DFHack in the first place.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 07:13:05 pm »

I don't really understand the issues here, since I have no idea what about a given DFHack tip is masterwork related and what isn't, but I'd appreciate it if people tried to be a bit more calm about things.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2014, 06:16:01 am »

Toady One: Dfhack for Df40.x use different scripts than the old version still included in MDF.
 It also includes custom scripts that the normal dfhack does not.

Putnam: The best guide for using AdvFort is in the new Genesis manual, written by deon for the players of his mod. I have never seen anyone outright demanding that he posts it here, unless he wants to keep the "precious information to his exclusive Genesis club" which in itself is a ridiculous thing to say. I honestly dont see the issue, with the same reasoning people could argue that I post things from my manual in the forum, for example the readmes I wrote about utilities or the wallpapers I collected. I commend slay_mithos for keeping his chill composure, as the toad would say.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 01:18:48 pm »

This was imposed by Putnam, and I don't want further stupid arguments over this.

so that means I'm gone, since it's pretty clear that I'm being cast as a villain here

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2014, 04:26:30 pm »

So, back on the actual topic (if we can)

I was reading the dfhack.ini, and I found a few key bindings that might have some very interesting functions.

As mentionned by Meph near the start, Ctrl+q(line 639) quicksaves the fort.
While it is not that usefull in itself, it still saves a bit of time, compared to saving then loading, when you are going to test something.
Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a "quick load" to go with it (maybe it would be too easy to save scum).

Ctrl+O, when 'q'uerying a building that has an owner (bed, table, chair used to create a room and assigned) will give you a list of all the rooms of the same owner. Usefull when you want to reassign rooms (nobles).

Ctrl+M when 'q'uerying a lever (or any building) will show all linked mechanisms. Very good when taking an old fort, or for succession forts, especially when some lever is linked to deadly contraptions.

To Putnam: It's not about being good, bad or anything, I just don't want the thread to go into flames, when it should be a place where knowledgeable people can take a few seconds to share a small trick that could potentially be very usefull to many players.
Many of the plugins don't explain themselves too well, even in their own threads, and it is not always easy to figure out how to make the most of everything.

I personally raged a lot on workflows, because it seemed superb, but I couldn't get it to do what I wanted, and most result with google were about how to add entries via the console, as well as a short video explaining only the very basic uses of the GUI.

If you want to discuss ethics, ownership, percepted ownership, and other similar topics, I would be more than happy to take part in it, but this is simply not the place.
You were offensive in your request of moving the thread, I reacted a bit less calmly than I should have, but the fact that I moved it is mainly because I want the thread to remain on the topic.
You are more than welcome to stay here, and I am pretty sure that, as the author of quite a few scripts/plugins used in Masterwork, you have quite a few tips that could benefit the players.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 04:28:43 pm by slay_mithos »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4