Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks  (Read 37581 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2014, 06:35:55 pm »

Ctrl+O, when 'q'uerying a building that has an owner (bed, table, chair used to create a room and assigned) will give you a list of all the rooms of the same owner. Usefull when you want to reassign rooms (nobles).

Ctrl+M when 'q'uerying a lever (or any building) will show all linked mechanisms. Very good when taking an old fort, or for succession forts, especially when some lever is linked to deadly contraptions.

Oh, I like these :D  thanks

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2014, 07:34:46 pm »

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a "quick load" to go with it (maybe it would be too easy to save scum).
What would a "quick load" accomplish, exactly? "quicksave" triggers an autosave of sorts, eliminating the need to reload a game after saving, but I don't understand what a parallel feature for loading would be.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2014, 08:04:01 pm »

I think I misunderstood quick save, then.
In my mind, it would be saving the current world in the current world directory (like "region1"), not create a new one.
If it is the case, then it would mean loading the world in the state it was last saved in, without the need to kill the process (die command), launch the game, and load again.

I tend to do quite a few experiments, but I don't like that it often leads to the death of my forts, so I save scum quite a bit until I get it right, or I abandon the experiment (either with having the data I need, or because I can't figure it out).

For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2014, 08:14:16 pm »

I think loading the game while playing (something DF doesn't do) might be more difficult than saving the game while playing (something DF does do).

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2014, 08:15:47 pm »

Ah, you mean a way to "revert" changes to the current save while keeping it open. Unfortunately, DF doesn't have a built-in way of doing that (ninja'd), and implementing it would only eliminate the time it takes to quit and reopen DF (which isn't very significant compared to load time, at least in my experience), since the only safe method is to load the world from scratch. It's a good idea, though. (It could be possible to restart DF without saving, which would be slightly more convenient, although I'm not sure how to implement it in a cross-platform way.)
Edit: Actually, there is a "save_on_exit" global, which is set to 'true' when a game is loaded - setting it to false (at least in 0.34.11) allows returning to the main menu without saving, if I understand correctly. Unfortunately, it's not automatically findable (yet), and is missing from most 0.40.xx versions of DFHack.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 08:18:24 pm by lethosor »

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2014, 05:39:29 am »

DFHack documentation ranges from terrible to nonexistent, so thanks for writing this. We're aware of the problem, but we don't really have a solution yet.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2014, 03:55:21 am »

Thx for this, better documentation is very helpful.
I'd go to suggestion land, and propose to make a nice shiny PDF so it can be bundled with the packs for those who need it in offline form.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2014, 07:43:31 am »

I think we are still missing on quite a few things before we can write an offline guide.

I expected to see more people add what they found, so that we can ask the dfhack team to add it to their documentation (where it belongs, really).
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2014, 09:01:15 am »

...  to make a nice shiny PDF so it can be bundled with the packs for those who need it in offline form.

... I think we are still missing on quite a few things before we can write an offline guide.

To be honest, I think that's the wrong approach. Online guides like http://dwarffortresswiki.org/ are way more useful, because it's much easier to compile information and keep it up-to-date. Also, dfhack has a readme.html right inside the project where (theoretically) all this could be assembled. Of course, eventually this would grow too big for one file, assuming that 'everybody' can add a couple screenshots and examples... but hey, that's kinda exactly what html was invented for... and what wikis were invented for a while later.

There should either be a dfhack section on the df wiki, or alternatively somebody might feel inspired enough by this thread to create a proper dfhack wiki, who knows?

I would very much prefer to keep it 'online' to facilitate collaboration and updates.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2014, 09:12:08 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Utility:DFHack

There's also http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Utility:DFHack/createitem, which isn't exactly complete yet, but it goes into much more detail than the DFHack documentation.

(Creating an offline version of DFHack wiki pages should be pretty easy, in case anyone's wondering.)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:15:49 am by lethosor »

Abadrausar

• Bay Watcher
  • empowering ideas
    • View Profile
    • ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2014, 06:21:08 pm »

I don't really understand the issues here ... but I'd appreciate it if people tried to be a bit more calm about things.
::: Humble Dwarf Fortress Publishing System ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫ Mods Push Published in DFFD are auto updated in local Players Catalog :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2014, 02:56:43 am »

It's 1:00 AM, so a bit late, but I may just write a guide on gm-editor at some point soon enough (once I'm done updating one of my older mods), just as a hope of reviving this topic (which believe it or not I do consider a good thing).

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2016, 04:24:44 pm »

Some interesting tips – thanks, I only just found this thread while doing a related search.  One that ‘sorta’ works for me is changeitem : with gems, for example, changeitem m <id> works but for only single words and every possible combination I can think of for the others fails.  RED BERYL has an unusual color in the default plus Ironhand tileset and is quite rare; what’s the command to change any other rough gem into red beryl? 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2016, 06:20:02 pm »

Some interesting tips – thanks, I only just found this thread while doing a related search.  One that ‘sorta’ works for me is changeitem : with gems, for example, changeitem m <id> works but for only single words and every possible combination I can think of for the others fails.  RED BERYL has an unusual color in the default plus Ironhand tileset and is quite rare; what’s the command to change any other rough gem into red beryl?
Does changeitem m "RED BERYL" work?

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2016, 07:55:43 pm »

Nope. 
Perhaps I should have elaborated, didn’t want the post wordy so much as moved up top.  Changeitem m RED BERYL, changeitem m RED_BERYL, changeitem m INORGANIC:RED BERYL (the material id), any other combo I’ve tried, same.  But for turquoise or ruby or sapphire or any gem with only one word names, no problem: just changeitem m TURQUOISE, for example.  Changeitem info just reads, “INORGANIC:RED BERYL.”  The Wiki page gives example as “changeitem m <gem>" so, no help there as yet.  If the answer is posted here, I’ll edit the page.  I do like that color ... 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4