Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (Request) Games which simulate the justice system/ Games where you manipulate  (Read 2902 times)

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Games where you can, ideally, commit crimes and be arrested for them/get other people in trouble. Kind of like the guild 2 but hopefully more polished. I've been playing a lot of LCS lately and getting arrested just made me want to see more of this, it's kind of limited in it's scope but it does a fair job of it there..

I'm really interested in any games with complexish systems like that, simulating certain aspects but also allowing room for you to interact and mess with the simulation.. The reason I liked the guild so much is because it allowed you to get other people into trouble for shit, and you could game the system to make sure they get convicted.

Or maybe even games where you just manipulate people to your own ends, cause people to turn on each other and create outcomes which are favorable to you?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gangsters: Organized crime comes to mind but i'mnot 100% sure about it... it's more of a guess than an actual suggestion.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hm, interesting. Looks more similar to LCS but I don't think it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf

Oh yes, Gangsters. Interesting game, to say the least. As for influencing justice - IIRC you can have your own lawyer or even bribe cops/justice system, but I never came so far to do any of it so I don't actually know what effect that has on actual gameplay. But hey, you are a gangster! You ARE manipulating justice system... in a way. But what you'll probably need is some sort of court simulation game... The Practice: The Game, I guess. *sigh* If only...

There are also Ace Attorney games on GameBoy consoles, but I think they are more of a detective/puzzle games...
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh yes, Gangsters. Interesting game, to say the least. As for influencing justice - IIRC you can have your own lawyer or even bribe cops/justice system, but I never came so far to do any of it so I don't actually know what effect that has on actual gameplay. But hey, you are a gangster! You ARE manipulating justice system... in a way. But what you'll probably need is some sort of court simulation game... The Practice: The Game, I guess. *sigh* If only...

There are also Ace Attorney games on GameBoy consoles, but I think they are more of a detective/puzzle games...

Yeah I considered the ace attorney games but they seem more linear, with a defined end goal. I don't think you can really affect the systems in play that much.. Outside of what continues the story.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile

Hard Time.

* McDonald leaves the thread after being hit by a tomato
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf

Had to search the web for that one, but now I remember I read a Hard Time review once.

It was absolutely, so-bad-it's-good stuff.

Same guy also made an extensive review of MDickie's other game, The making of a Prophet (Hard Time was actually a review inside that review, hehe), but that's a story for another topic.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ace Attorney also doesn't actually resemble the* justice system at all, if you're looking for a reasonably accurate simulation.

* = Not that the world only has one, but it doesn't resemble any innocent-until-proven-guilty ones.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's funny because I was going to suggest LCS, but then that's the one you've already played. I like this kind of theme too, but I don't know of any other similar games  ::). I think in the original Mass Effect there's a trial part, but I know I'm reaching here.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there? I'm failing to remember one. I recall a trial in KOTOR, though (which I played considerably longer ago), although I'll avoid saying where in the game because spoilers even though it's been out for years now.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there? I'm failing to remember one. I recall a trial in KOTOR, though (which I played considerably longer ago), although I'll avoid saying where in the game because spoilers even though it's been out for years now.

Yeah, it was on the flotilla. Tali's people, it had something to do with her dad.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Uplink?
You can  wipe your own crimes (or other people's I guess if you're helpful like that) from the Global Criminal Database, or get people arrested by adding a bunch of fake crimes.
You can also edit logs to create a false trail and make it look like someone else was hacking a government database/bank/large company and get them arrested that way.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

There was a court scene in "Neverwinter Nights 2" but it was of the type where you either win and fight a guy or lose and fight the same guy. There is investigation to do and people to call as witnesses but in the end you or your opponents call for a "trial of arms" to settle the matter.

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uplink?
You can  wipe your own crimes (or other people's I guess if you're helpful like that) from the Global Criminal Database, or get people arrested by adding a bunch of fake crimes.
You can also edit logs to create a false trail and make it look like someone else was hacking a government database/bank/large company and get them arrested that way.

I tried uplink but I couldn't really get the hang of it, seemed like you had to act fast or you're screwed. Also I didn't really figure out how to clean up your tracks.. Didn't seem like you had enough time to do that either.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile

Hmm. If I knew how to program worth a shit, I'd definetely make a Kafka-like absurd trial simulation.
Pages: [1] 2