Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rift (Now Free to Play!)  (Read 5889 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Rift (Now Free to Play!)
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 09:23:37 pm »

Well, I'd like to see you pick out all 4 bytes of all 4 possible colours by eye.
Since, that's what's leading me to this conclusion, it's not that these small details are similar, they're the exact same.
I... wouldn't do it by eye. Take screenshot, sample color, done. Not entirely sure that's all there is to it (I'm not really proficient with anything more complicated than mspaint... not really proficient with that, either.), but there wouldn't be much more involved. PlagiarizingCopying art assets is a cinch, really. We've got really good tools for that nowadays, and by and large they're getting better.

... regarding the game itself. I think I started downloading it at one point... wish I could remember why I stopped part way and went on to other things :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 12:34:48 am »

I played on release and I found it pretty boring, but I was already bored with WoW years before that, this didnt add anything for me.
I got nothing

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 12:48:40 am »

It's a "WoW clone" to be sure, but it's one of the best F2P ones right now, IMO.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 01:50:56 am »

...I was never planning on charging.

:o
Well, that's good to know! (Though you might make more money if you did... Depending on context of course.)

I... wouldn't do it by eye. Take screenshot, sample color, done. Not entirely sure that's all there is to it (I'm not really proficient with anything more complicated than mspaint... not really proficient with that, either.)
Well, this is why I quite spesificly specified there were 4 bytes required. It's where the difficulty in copying the colour would come in.
MSPaint, and most other basic imaging software will only build a colour out of 3 bytes. Red, Green, Blue. More advanced ones use an extra byte. Alpha. The Alpha byte allows the colour to be partially translucent, which means if you then try to grab the regular three bytes saved in a screenshot (keeping in mind, no matter how good your software, you're always going to have to blindly guess the alpha value), you'll almost always get a different colour each time anyway, as whatever is behind that text interferes with the colour of the text itself. (Even an untextured background, to a degree.)
Assuming that I'm wrong and that there's no common ancestral code between them which hard coded these values, that means someone, somewhere has spent at least one entire working day just trying to findplagiarize a couple of text colours.

Though, I was pretty much done with this subject before, I just wanted to illuminate the colour issue. (Pun not intended.)
Now I'm going to drop this subject and try and get the topic back on track. I probably won't even mention World of Warcraft again without very good reason. (Here's hoping I just don't have to.)

*snip*-wish I could remember why I stopped part way and went on to other things-*snip*
Well, here's hoping this topic actually gives you a reason to try and download it again, rather than put you off it for life.

I played on release and I found it pretty boring, but I was already bored with WoW years before that, this didnt add anything for me.
It all depends on what you're looking for in an MMO. I was fairly unhappy with my previous experiences, and I was looking for something a little more laid back when leveling, something I can easily socialize in and preferably with a super challenging twist to it every now and then.
Rift's delivered that perfectly for me, but I can completely understand that it's not what everyone's looking for.
Though, to expand a previous point a little:
RIFT does have events, but personally like GW2 events way more.
I've heard someone say the opposite of that, and not having played GW2 myself, I can't really compare them.
If my memory serves me right (and it may not), Rift's events are slightly more deadly.
This has to be the case when three or four invasion forces accidentally pathfind down the same road and become an unstoppable killing force of 20 to 100 mobs.
Taking on these super kill squads (that are probably some sort of bug) has been the most enjoyable and rewarding thing I've ever done in any MMO ever.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 04:22:26 pm »

Figured I'd dig up the less-long-dead of the two threads.

Saw a little webm a few days ago with the double-layer ocean, figured I'd boot up the game & go on a little adventure to find it.
Problem is, I'd like to use a Storm Legion soul, and their cash shop conveniently doesn't have a demarcation to get that. (3250/20$, & they want 3500  >:().
What's the most frugal way to get access to this if I don't want to spend more than 20$ on what could be a very short visit to the game?

Hopefully someone around here still plays...

-e
Heh, their reddit's dead, and you need a minimum level 10 character to post on their forums. So I tried contacting their customer support to see if there were any other avenues for me to give them my money, (but not that much), and got a flat 'no'.
Looks like this plan is scrapped.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:37:02 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 07:58:11 pm »

So is end-game dungeon and raid content in this game actually challenging? Or is it "my first mmo" difficulty like world of warcraft? My friend and I dick around in free to play MMOs all the time but we've never found anything even remotely challenging or interesting.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 09:45:20 pm »

Is this game related to the Tabletop setting?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 09:50:17 pm »

Nope. There's some fairly minor conceptual similarities, if you squint at it hard enough, but if you're talking like related franchises or whatev', no.

... a Rifts MMO would have probably been considerably more interesting, really.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:52:53 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 04:35:59 am »

Yah, the only relation this has to KS' game is that there was a lawsuit involving both parties, so that Trion could create a history of protecting their IP.  It was a bad Idea though, Kevin is seriously unreasonable, and even forced them to change the name slightly in the out of court settlement.  And there is no doubt that an MMO based on Rifts would be vastly more interesting  (as long as KS isn't allowed to touch it).
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 [2]