Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Five Nights at Freddy's: Chuck E. Cheese nocturnal surveilance simulator  (Read 86616 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

Soooooo, you guys probably already know of this game, since it became hugely popular after its release some time ago, but it has yet to get its own thread here, so here it is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Five Nights at Freddy's is a point and click resource management survival horror game. The premise is that you got a job as a night watchman at Freddy's, a chuck e cheese style junk food and games center thats been on decline and will close at the end of the year for several reasons, the main one being that the iconic animatronic characters that are hugely popular among kids have been acting... Odd for quite a while now, as in they start roaming around at night and do terrible things with anyone they find that isn't one of them.

As the sole guard watching the place during the night, your job is to sit in your special surveilance room and monitor the cuddly animal people through a system consisting of several cameras and two lights outside each of the entrances to your room, which you must manualy activate and deactivate. But dont worry, each entrance is equipped with an electronic steel reinforced door that will close at a button's push. The problem is, you have a limited power supply each night, and using each of your devices (cameras, lights and doors that somehow consume energy by being closed but not while open) will cause your constantly depleting electricity to deplete even faster, and you dont want to run out of power in a night at Freddy's. Really.
You have to work (read: survive) for five days to get your meager paychek by getting to 6 AM every day.

So yea, like I said before, the characters (at least most of them) will roam around at night, going through the several rooms at different paces. Each of them has a different behavior, and that behavior will change as the week goes on. Each night you will be greeted by a phone recording of a previous watchman, giving you instructions regarding your job and suggestions on how to proceed. Some of his advices are valuable, others not so much, so its up to you wether to trust him or not. The game has a backstory to it, but you have to find it out for yourself by picking at the scraps of info the game gives you, all while trying to not meet your cuddly night companions.

This game is very interesting in the way it transmits horror to the player. You have a completely passive role, while the things that are out to get you are the ones that actualy go to places and do things, which is refreshing take on horror games of late, that usualy make (or force) you to perform certain actions and go to different places. The game is very simple, yet has a a richness in detail to it, in both gameplay and presentation. You really do have to think about what you're doing and how the characters are behaving to survive, and as the game progresses the game starts changing things up to keep you on your toes. There's no "artificial difficulty" here, just the game changing the mechanics and frequency of things to make you think and try to counter them.

It does, however, use jump scares whenever you lose, however, this is not the reason this game is scary. The frantic surveilance and resource management, all while trying to find out where the hell each character is and how close they are is what creates tension and fear in the player. After a while you'll not care for the jump scares, but the tension will still get you, the atmosphere is really well done.

So anyway, I'll post more info some tips later, under spoilers to not ruin anyone's fun.

The game is currently avaliable on steam through steam greenlight and desura.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:48:06 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf

Huh. So this popped up on Steam just as I logged in few minutes ago. Was wondering what's the deal with it because I couldn't quite decide where to place it. Low price and screenshots made me think this is some cheap survival horror wannabe and I didn't bother to read the actual description. I was in the wrong it seems. Thanks for this topic, it sounds really interesting, might wanna keep an eye on it.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wasn't expecting much out of it either, I got a desura copy and played with it for a bit, and it felt oddly addictive. Its hard to pay attention to things while you're tense trying to watch the characters roaming around, but there's a surprising amount of detail to it. There are sound cues for different characters while they do different things, but it subtle and hard to catch most of the time. This makes you play the game with headphones, which also make you more vulnerable to the jumpscares, but its either that or risk missing the sound cues.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

does, however, use jump scares whenever you lose, however, this is not the reason this game is scary

Ehhh Jump Scares are still scary, no matter what people say. The fact that they exist in the game creates extra tension not to see one.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

That first screenshot almost made me nope out. I'm interested.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can deal with almost any type of horror except jump scares. Because I hate hate hate hate hate being startled. When something startles me like that, it makes me extremely paranoid and jump at everything and my heart rate spikes and it's terrible feeling. So looks neat, but nopenopenopenope.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile

I also hate jumpscares. I have seen so many that I'm desensitized to them. When the bunny dude screamed in my face, I didn't even flinch very much, just became deaf for a few seconds because I like full volume. Although the scariest part of this game is the atmosphere and going "ERMAHGERD WHERE DID HE GO". 9 outta 10 for this game.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Going to post some info and tips on the different characters and their behavior as the week progresses. Whoever hasn't played the game yet should prob not read any of it because it might spoil a few surprises.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:44:59 am by TempAcc »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why is it that so many games are making "People who are given too little resources to do their job" a thing?

What next a game where you are a cop but you are only given 6 bullets?

Note: Not a complaint, I am poking fun.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why is it that so many games are making "People who are given too little resources to do their job" a thing?

I think it's because companies are really happy to cut corners to the point of endangering their employees. This game's aspect is just making that a little more supernatural/horror-based.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Five Nights at Freddy's: Chuck E. Cheese nocturnal surveilance simulator
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 11:49:59 am »

Hm. Question is though, will there be free content updates? I myself don't own it, but while it is interesting, I don't think the current content would be something to keep me encapsulated like something like tf2, which I have 100 hours in apparently :P

Spoiler: Funsies (click to show/hide)

I think it's because companies are really happy to cut corners to the point of endangering their employees. This game's aspect is just making that a little more supernatural/horror-based.

I myself imagine it as a sort of alternate universe where safety regulations aren't the best compared to our world :3

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 02:13:29 pm »

Well someone made fanart already.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 02:18:29 pm »

The Bear can teleport into the room? Huh.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 04:33:36 pm »

The Bear can teleport into the room? Huh.
There are 2 bears. Normal brown and golden. From what i understand the golden one can.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 06:45:55 pm »

Yea, spoilers and etc. But yea, there are two bears, regular freddy that goes batshit insane after the first few days and a hidden golden version of him thats more of an easter egg ghost enemy thing that can actualy teleport inside the room and kill you unless you manage to unsummon him.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15