Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

You must have tea and cake with a vicar or you die! (placeholder poll)

Cake
- 9 (64.3%)
Or death
- 5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Necromancer Succession Fort  (Read 4532 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromancer Succession Fort
« on: August 20, 2014, 11:26:23 am »

'Come in.... so glad.... you could.... make it.'

I shuddered as the commander's voice broke the silence of the gloomy halls. He sat hunched in a throne carved from black stone, his cold eyes staring at me with a dark hunger.

'Do you... know why I.... have called you here?' he said hollowly.

I shook my head in reply. Those damned eyes always unnerved me, made it hard to speak. I'd only ever seen eyes like that on the mindless undead roaming outside our borders and laying siege to our walls. But the commander was no brainless monster. He was the pinnacle of dark alchemy, part magic and part science defying the will of death itself.

'You are being.... given... a special task.... Captain Carnifex. A historic task.

You are.... to leave our home.... and never.... to return
.'

I blinked in surprise, 'What do you mean? Where am I to go?'

The commander chuckled darkly.

'We have learned.... that there is more.... beyond our borders.... than the shambling dead.... left behind.... by the alchemists.... failed experiments.

There are lands.... vibrant.... alive.... vulnerable.... you are.... to join an.... expedition.... to these lands
.'

He rose to his full height, towering above me.

'Our people cannot.... remain here.... trapped by our.... past mistakes.

The alchemists.... have chosen.... Talakin to lead.... their new efforts.... you will guard.... the alchemist in.... far off lands.

Others.... have been chosen.... supplies gathered.... go.... bring our hand to foes that.... can yet bleed
.'

He handed me a scroll, bearing my instructions. News of lands far away, learned of by interrogating a strange green creature found in the Deadlands. We were to leave our home, travel through the Deadlands to find what lay beyond, make a fresh start for our kinfolk. No matter what opposes us.

The premise of the game is that we are playing a modded human civ with access to various drinks that can turn humans into horribly powerful undead monsters and grant spell like abilities. In theory we should be trying to reserve these for personifications and such, but accidents will happen so I expect to see some randomly altered no-names wandering around.

The rules:
1)Two days to pick up your turn when it comes up.
2)Two weeks to finish your turn.
3)Try not to kill the fort out of malice. Killing it out of incompetence is fine. Especially if it's amusing.
4)Feel free to build things according to your own designs, but try to avoid putting a whole lot of stuff below the ground.

The turn list is as follows at the moment:
1)Grim Portent
2)Zlob
3)CaptainArchmage
4)Linthar
5)Leonkr9
6)4maskwolf
7)YAHG
8)Moon Label

Personifications:

Founders
1) Carnifex - Warrior (Grim Portent)
2) Splint - Warrior (Splint)
3) Talakin - Alchemist/Doctor (Linthar)
4) Moon Label - Crafter (Moon Label)
5) Python - Farmer/Butcher/Tanner (Monitor Lisard)
6) Libitina - Smith - (Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum)
7) Hawke - Woodcutter/Carpenter (Leonkr9)

Migrants
1) Maskwolf - Smith (4maskwolf) - needs to be dorfed
2) Senshuken - Alchemist (Senshucken) - needs to be dorfed
3) Asmoth - Alchemist (Deus Asmoth) - needs to be dorfed

Original text of post:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:21:52 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Succession Fort
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 11:34:45 am »

Yay, something new.
I am interested!
error: 'long long long' is too long

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 02:23:27 pm »

I’d be interested too, sign me up! Voted for Necromancy Humans just to have something different.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 03:05:10 pm »

I’d be interested too, sign me up! Voted for Necromancy Humans just to have something different.

Decided to do some work on necromancer/alchemist/undead human RAWs in case that was the most popular choice.

An example undead so far is the Death Knight. A syndrome, much like vampirism, that turns a living creature into a mega-husk. Faster, stronger, unable to become weaker, be stunned, paralyzed, nauseated and so on. Resistant to mortal weapons and unable to bleed out.

Also 50% taller.

Because of the way I'm trying to code the way to become one (via syndrome drink made via a reaction, if I can't get the drink to be made them I'll default to the good old fashioned evaporating syndrome rock) to be exorbitantly expensive. I have reactions to make tallow candles, use them and body parts to transmute coins into more valuable coins at a 5:1 ratio (think black magic transmuting) and then, if I can make it work, use the coins, more body parts, candles and whatever else I decide to throw in as a requirement, to create a single drink of what is essentially the Elixir of Death. I may call it that in fact...

Lesser syndromes to do things like temporarily be able to animate/resurrect the dead, become weaker undead, maybe fling some nasty syndromes and interactions around will be cheaper of course, though the ingredients would be fundamentally the same.

Pretty much all of this would make it possible to have super powered immortal humans who can be brought back from the dead by sacrificing dead goblin bits.

Which reminds me, I still need to remake the reaction to incinerate dead enemies in a smelter.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Kydrasz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 03:43:12 pm »

You know if Necromancy Humans is happening someone should build a dungeon and stuff undead into it.

Also this seems like a neat idea so I'm going to watch for now.
Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Spoiler: Inspirational words (click to show/hide)

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 05:07:53 am »

An example undead so far is the Death Knight. A syndrome, much like vampirism, that turns a living creature into a mega-husk. Faster, stronger, unable to become weaker, be stunned, paralyzed, nauseated and so on. Resistant to mortal weapons and unable to bleed out.
Also 50% taller.

If we are to have that, what are we fighting then?  :o

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 08:20:21 am »

Also 50% taller.

If we are to have that, what are we fighting then?  :o

There are numerous mods that introduce new and dangerous enemies. I'm a fan of Fortress Defense myself, some of the enemies in that are really hard to fight. It's simply a matter of picking one.

At the same time though I wouldn't make the Death Knight easy to create. I think a suitable price would be the equivalent of 500 gold bars and 50 dead enemies for each to ascend to that dark majesty, with various weaker things being cheaper.

Ultimately the undead syndromes would serve to balance out humans inability to make steel. Superior armaments would be replaced by potent shocktroopers created very infrequently and at great expense.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 09:09:01 am »

I came up with an idea:
7 starting humans are necromancers.
No migrants, just the mindless golems you create of flesh and bone of fallen enemies.
They cannot learn, but you can make better and better ones as you grow richer and more powerful.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 10:21:48 am »

I came up with an idea:
7 starting humans are necromancers.
No migrants, just the mindless golems you create of flesh and bone of fallen enemies.
They cannot learn, but you can make better and better ones as you grow richer and more powerful.

There's a few problems with that concept that would make it work better as a non succession game.

Firstly the low character count would make it difficult to dorf people.
Secondly the golems wouldn't be controllable.

I think the warlocks from Masterwork are a bit like that though, I know they have an emphasis on a few warlocks and large numbers of undead minions and creating monsters via transforming things but I haven't really looked into Masterwork.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 12:19:03 pm »

You have my interest as well. Sign me up to take a turn.

Leonkr9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 12:11:14 pm »

I like the sound of this sign me up

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 12:35:11 pm »

Sign me up  :D

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 09:08:12 pm »

get the drink to be made

For the cause:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:BREW_DRINK_SPECIAL]
[NAME:this is the name of your reaction as a string]
[BUILDING:STILL:CUSTOM_S]
[REAGENT:Ingredient1:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[REACTION_CLASS:SPECIAL_VAMPIRISM_THINGY] Name this what you want but your ingredient would need it if you use this
[REAGENT:barrel/pot:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[EMPTY]
[FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER] barrel or any non-absorbing tool with FOOD_STORAGE
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:DRINK:NONE:(your syndrome material here)]
[PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:barrel/pot]
[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:BREWING]

I am interested in a turn (my computer isn't the fastest), is there gonna be a theme? Like our goal in this world or whatever or what type of people our imaginary overseers will be drawn from?

I don't really care if I am dwarfed etc. I like to pretend I am the will behind the mysterious orders form the heavens anyways. Kind of more part of the general state of psychosis of the typical expedition leader/mayor :)).

Having some sort of rule about building above ground, or not being allowed to designate dug stairs (not skilled miners :)) ) would also be pretty cool.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 08:55:46 am »

I am interested in a turn (my computer isn't the fastest), is there gonna be a theme? Like our goal in this world or whatever or what type of people our imaginary overseers will be drawn from?

I don't really care if I am dwarfed etc. I like to pretend I am the will behind the mysterious orders form the heavens anyways. Kind of more part of the general state of psychosis of the typical expedition leader/mayor :)).

Having some sort of rule about building above ground, or not being allowed to designate dug stairs (not skilled miners :)) ) would also be pretty cool.

Thanks for the reaction, I've been trying to make a copy+paste of the one for brewing from plants work and I keep missing out part of the definition for the product. I'll see if this works after being edited.

Also my candle reaction is currently making them out of soap, so I may need to change the reagent to fat rather than tallow. My transmuting reactions work fine though and I've got the entity and creature files done. So all I really need to do is get the various syndrome source reactions done.

As for themes and rules:

I'm thinking that a necropolis feel would be appropriate, but I'll leave it up to each player to decide how best to represent their image of necromancers, be it towers, mausoleums, pyramids, shallow graves as bedrooms, mortals cowering in wooden shacks in the shadow of a castle etc.

The civs values are
Code: [Select]
[VALUE:LAW:25]
[VALUE:LOYALTY:15]
[VALUE:FAMILY:-30]
[VALUE:FRIENDSHIP:-30]
[VALUE:POWER:50]
[VALUE:TRUTH:-40]
[VALUE:CUNNING:50]
[VALUE:ELOQUENCE:30]
[VALUE:FAIRNESS:-15]
[VALUE:DECORUM:25]
[VALUE:TRADITION:50]
[VALUE:ARTWORK:10]
[VALUE:COOPERATION:-10]
[VALUE:INDEPENDENCE:25]
[VALUE:STOICISM:30]
[VALUE:INTROSPECTION:-10]
[VALUE:SELF_CONTROL:15]
[VALUE:TRANQUILITY:-10]
[VALUE:HARMONY:-10]
[VALUE:MERRIMENT:-15]
[VALUE:CRAFTSMANSHIP:15]
[VALUE:MARTIAL_PROWESS:40]
[VALUE:SKILL:15]
[VALUE:HARD_WORK:5]
[VALUE:SACRIFICE:-20]
[VALUE:COMPETITION:50]
[VALUE:PERSEVERANCE:25]
[VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:-15]
[VALUE:COMMERCE:15]
[VALUE:ROMANCE:-5]
[VALUE:NATURE:-10]
[VALUE:PEACE:-20]
so there's encouragement for individualism, power plays and militarism among the people. The civ is warlike, unfriendly and values power above all else. As such I was thinking of the backstory of the fort could be a settlement created to guard a flank from other civs, or to find something spoken of by dwarves as being buried (either clowns or candy) and so on.

I'll leave it up to each person what their overseer was before arriving. Warriors, alchemists, workers all have the ability to rise up if they have the drive and perseverance.

EDIT: I'm thinking the undead syndromes will shake out a bit like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The differences in tiers will mostly be a matter of getting the ingredients to make the undead, rather than one of tech level. I'll make a custom workshop for this. Maybe an alchemists workbench made out of a mortar, pestle, table and an alembic. Probably make it look like a table when built.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:25:43 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 07:08:00 am »

In the interest of keeping people informed about my plans for the fort, I was hoping to start it today, but the previous two days have been taken up by family events (celebrating a wedding and a birthday) so I haven't gotten the mod finished yet. I should have it done tomorrow or the day after, so hopefully we can get the game started soon.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: [1] 2 3 4