Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

You must have tea and cake with a vicar or you die! (placeholder poll)

Cake
- 9 (64.3%)
Or death
- 5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Necromancer Succession Fort  (Read 4525 times)

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
Re: New Succession Fort
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 11:02:52 pm »

Is pre-dorfing (or pre-humaninsation, maybe?) available, by the way?

If yes, I'd like to have a guy/gal bent on scaly critters. Name him/her "Python", please.

As for the job, anything useful (or not that useful) may do.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

Re: Necromancer Succession Fort
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 11:25:44 pm »

Hey, could I be personified? As a smith or engraver please?
Name her Libitina. It should fit well here...

Leonkr9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2014, 03:36:56 am »

Would love to be dorfed as a wood chopper/carpenter or an axeman Name Em Hawke if you would

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 10:08:42 am »

Would like to be dwarfed as a forgemaster named Maskwolf.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2014, 01:09:54 pm »

Right, going in order of requests I've added people to the dorfing list.

Since the number of requests for reclaiming a lost city have shot through the roof I guess we'll be doing that instead of living on the coast. I'll try to pick a place near the necromancer towers in the middle of the continent. I like the idea of a bit of mass scale undead mooks vs undead elite if possible.

EDIT: Scratch that, it seems there are no lost cities to reclaim. Odd, in 260 years there's normally a few to reclaim.  ???

Back to the coast embark I guess.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 01:14:12 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2014, 02:40:07 pm »

You missed putting me under the migrants, if you've started on that list yet.

Looking forward to this.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2014, 03:22:30 pm »

Sometimes I feel like a complete idiot.

Firstly I misspell an entry in the entity file, easily fixed but annoying.

Then I embark as the wrong civ and have to force crash the game after a few hours of not noticing so I can go back and re-embark properly.

Now I realize that we don't have an anvil (no access to iron as a civ). Annoying, but not insurmountable. Still feel like a bit of a daft bugger though.

In any case, I'll have a post to make tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:58:48 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2014, 05:34:00 pm »

It is the fifteenth of Granite. We have spent the last two weeks skulking through the mountains infested with the dead and with goblin scum, trying to herd what little livestock we were given safely across the dead lands. I decided to keep a journal in order to have someone to speak to who wasn't already plotting to usurp Talakin as leader of the expedition, or Talakin for that matter. Insufferable alchemist.

I do not know where we shall finally stop, but I must admit that the lands beyond our home have proven pleasant so far. We are following a river, maybe there's a town somewhere along the way we can rest at? I hear something making noise in the distance.

I don't know how to describe what I'm seeing. An endless expanse of water, foaming up onto the white sands beneath our feet before withdrawing back into itself. I've never seen so much water before. Perhaps this place is special somehow?

Python tried drinking a handful, but says it tastes foul. Good thing the river water is clean, I'd rather not have to drink this unpleasant water.

We've started to haul our stuff off the wagon and set it out on the grasses at the edge of the sand. I think we'll stay here, for now at least.

16th Granite
I was standing in the waters as they lapped at my ankles and spotted a huge school of fish swimming in the waters. If only one of us knew how to fish we could have caught some.

Hawke has been clearing trees around out campsite. I plan to explore with Splint and make sure things are safe here.

21st Slate
Splint and I spotted some tall towers in the far distance while exploring. Something about them reminded me of the mountains back home. It was both comforting and unsettling. Like something walked over my grave.

Talakin has Hawke building a room where he can document his experiments and keep track of our supplies. I'd rather we have something to sleep in, but the alchemist is supposed to be our main concern. For now at least, I'm sure a few more will be among the first people sent to join us.

11th Felsite
A rough hall is taking shape next to the sands. It will do as a temporary sleeping space until we can get a proper architect to build us some real buildings, we're just seven people after all, building a city is a bit beyond us at this point.

Still, maybe we can start on the base of something more sturdy. We have stone with us, perhaps we could build something like those towers Splint and I saw.

Ah well, that's something to do later. For now, Splint and I need to keep our skills sharp, Python is working hard to keep out food stocks decent,  Talakin is doing... whatever he does. Moon Label has been whittling cups out of spare wood. When I asked why Moon said it was to trade with any locals we might meet, damn fool if you ask me. We're more likely to meet a band of goblins or some monster than we are to see something friendly. Building a city in a land of unknown demons is actually pretty stupid now that I think about it. Who knows what lives in those endless waters or roams these pleasant lands?

I think I know what we'll call this place now. Urbanas Daemon. The City of Demons, for I daresay demons are all we'll meet out here.

My first impression of the embark site is that a) more of it is covered in water than I had intended, b) there's plenty to eat provided we like fish, c) pigs are apparently scared of ravens ??? , d) unless we get lucky and manage to buy an anvil from a caravan we'll either be using scavenged gear or have to cheat to get ourselves an anvil.

I'm not really going to get much construction done during this year, so I'll try to focus on the basics, simple lockable buildings to store food and beds in.

I may cheat/raw edit to get us some sort of undead before the year is out if people think it's a good idea to do so rather than fend off goblins with two copper long swords, 2 copper battle axes and a copper pick. (Our armaments are little better than pointed sticks really.)
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Moon Label

• Bay Watcher
  • Cannot write post: creature occupying site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2014, 11:39:25 pm »

Someone's gotta be the breadwinner for this fort. :)  Any screenshots of the embark?
Quote from: Toady One on May 10, 2007, 10:59:00 pm
I've moved out of the office and turned in my keys.

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2014, 08:59:37 am »

Let's just use cages for now. They work just as well as metal weapons and do not involve risk. We need goblinite anyway, if we want our metal industry to prosper. :P
Luckily, the caged goblin bug has been fixed so we may safely dispose them in death chamber.
error: 'long long long' is too long

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 10:09:10 am »

I would like to be... Dorf'ed doesn't really work... Put in the game maybe?... As a Migrant Nercomancer or whatever they start off as. I have plans for Lichdom.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2014, 10:43:02 am »

I would like to be... Dorf'ed doesn't really work... Put in the game maybe?... As a Migrant Nercomancer or whatever they start off as. I have plans for Lichdom.

The traditional term when I run games like this is 'Humanized', though I like the word being used in the Masterwork Humans thread: Personified.

The necromancers are essentially just alchemists who make undeadification potions at the moment. I left a pair of blank reactions and unsyndromed non-appearing plants to use as spare mod fodder if people want to be able to become more 'traditional' DF necromancers. It'd be but a moment's work to slip in a new elixer that makes normal necromancers.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2014, 11:10:49 am »

This seems interesting, and so I am interested. Put me down for a turn, please, and embody me as an alchemist named Asmoth. If none arrive in the early migrant waves, pretty much any form of person is fine.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2014, 07:07:33 pm »

A message from Moon Label reminded me that I need to keep people informed about this.

I've got some notes to write up, but due to a bought of sickness and the commencement of my university course I've not had the time or energy to focus on this. I'll post tomorrow, I got into mid Autumn before I started to feel unwell so I should be able to get my turn finished by the end of the week.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2014, 06:54:55 pm »

7th Hematite
Spring has passed into Summer, and still we sleep in the grass. I hope Hawke finishes the hut soon.

Libitina is fashioning mechanisms so that we can set up traps. It will be a sparse defense, but it will be better than what few weapons we have.

13th Hematite
The mechanisms are finished, I have asked Libitina, still the only one of us with no immediate tasks, to dig into the ground for rock and ore.We will need it to have any hope of building a proper shelter and to equip ourselves for battle.

15th Hematite
Libitina found a layer of clay beneath us. We're setting up some kilns so we can make bricks and various crafts. We're also setting up furnaces to make use of the plentiful sand found here.

19th Hematite
A pair of our people arrived today. A farmer and a ranger. Apparently they were sent out to bolster our numbers, though I'd hardly call two people bolstering. I guess it must be too difficult for large numbers of migrants to pass through the dead lands.

25th Galena
Our pigs and chickens have been panicking lately. I suspect it to have something to do with the buzzard flock nearby, though why the pigs are concerned is beyond me.

1st Limestone
Splint and I have lain our weapons down for a short while to craft cloth bags to gather sand in. It's quick work, and more restful than I had expected.

Moon Label is filling bags with sand as fast as we can make them, even with occasional breaks to work the pottery. If we ever see any traders we'll have plenty to offer them.

3rd Limestone
Moon Label was accosted by a...
thing while working in the pottery today. One of the dogs chased the creature to the beach and savagely mauled it before being injured in return. The creature was bleeding out onto the sand when Splint and I reached it. He clove it's skull with two blows to the head.

It was a short, rather ugly beast. I can only assume it was no animal, for it wore clothes and carried a large knife of dark, heavy metal. Splint has claimed it for himself and wields it along with his sword. Talakin says that the metal is mentioned in some of our old records as iron, a substance we have not had access to for centuries supposedly. It seems harder and sharper than our copper weapons, maybe we can find a few more iron weapons somehow.

And perhaps we could find some more of these little creatures, it was most pleasant to stand above it's broken body and watch the last breath rattle from it's chest. I rather want to see it happen again.

16th Limestone
We have a place to rest our heads at least. Hawke has finished our sleeping hall and installed a few beds. There is little privacy, but it keeps the sun, rain and wind off us.

22nd Sandstone
A band of travelers, or pilgrims I suppose... perhaps refugees is a better term?

Regardless, a group of eight has come to join us.

We have plenty of supplies, room to spare for newcomers and a great deal need for more hands to work. Regrettably none of the newcomers are of much use for building, mining or fighting, not that we have the equipment for them to fight anyway.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4