Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: General HYPE Thread: EXCITEMENT CENTRAL  (Read 18217 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: General HYPE Thread: EXCITEMENT CENTRAL
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2014, 11:33:55 am »

Does anyone even buy physical CDs anymore? With the advent of steam and origin, it seems that discs are a thing of the past
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2014, 12:24:08 pm »

Does anyone even buy physical CDs anymore? With the advent of steam and origin, it seems that discs are a thing of the past
The very fact that I have a job says yes, people love their CDs. In fact, there was tremendous outcry when MS talked about going all digital.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2014, 01:39:37 pm »

As someone without Steam (and with third-world internet), yes people still do buy discs. I am not going to be making any downloads more than two hundred megs, tops, on this line.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2014, 01:58:02 pm »

The very fact that I have a job says yes, people love their CDs. In fact, there was tremendous outcry when MS talked about going all digital.
I love physical discs (for much the same reason I love physical books over e-readers), but when they're charging twice what the game is going for on Steam? lolfuckno

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2014, 02:59:09 pm »

Yes! It doesn't feel like a real game if it doesn't come with a box and manual to read while instaling it. That I'm in same situation as Arx is totaly irrelevant, honest.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2014, 03:09:27 pm »

I love physical discs (for much the same reason I love physical books over e-readers), but when they're charging twice what the game is going for on Steam? lolfuckno
I can't drop my digital copy shiny side down while trying to jam it into my computer. Heck I don't even need a working disc drive.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2014, 03:26:25 pm »

Heck I don't even need a working disc drive.
There's also this. As I discovered when trying to install my venerable old copy of Star Wars: Battlefront II, and discovered that my laptop doesn't actually have a CD/DVD drive.  :'(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2014, 08:15:10 pm »

Heck I don't even need a working disc drive.
There's also this. As I discovered when trying to install my venerable old copy of Star Wars: Battlefront II, and discovered that my laptop doesn't actually have a CD/DVD drive.  :'(

That was a pretty good game, and it's actually on Steam, though I totally get not wanting to pay for it all over again.

Anyway, I might get some flak but I am super excited about The Battle of Five Armies. The others shoehorned in other random stuff, and I suspect this one will too, but even if the movie itself shits all over the source material, they will probably do lots of shots around Erebor and Dale, and that would almost be worth going out to see by itself.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2014, 08:33:58 pm »

Does anyone even buy physical disks anymore? With the advent of steam and origin, it seems that discs are a thing of the past

I would since I am fucking pissed that most game companies cant even optimize there code to where it wont take at least a few hours to download then install.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2014, 05:48:41 pm »

Does anyone even buy physical disks anymore? With the advent of steam and origin, it seems that discs are a thing of the past

I would since I am fucking pissed that most game companies cant even optimize there code to where it wont take at least a few hours to download then install.
The way the game is coded or optimized has no bearing whatsoever to how fast you download it. That's problem with your internet, computer and/or the server from which you download the game from. Plus the installation is pretty much always faster when you have downloaded it as opposed to installing from disc, since file transfer works faster from within your hardrive than from disc. (Although the difference isn't probably that huge.)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2014, 05:54:34 pm »

That Which Sleeps. It has a thread in other games and it's basically the only thing I've been hyped for in years.
Apart from getting Samurai Jack collection in a few months.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2014, 07:21:16 pm »

The way the game is coded or optimized has no bearing whatsoever to how fast you download it. That's problem with your internet, computer and/or the server from which you download the game from. Plus the installation is pretty much always faster when you have downloaded it as opposed to installing from disc, since file transfer works faster from within your hardrive than from disc. (Although the difference isn't probably that huge.)

There are quite a few modern games with more code that is needed. Also if you want to install a game you want to play that you just bought but cant since the connection to said service is either down or bad.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2014, 03:39:08 am »

There are quite a few modern games with more code that is needed. Also if you want to install a game you want to play that you just bought but cant since the connection to said service is either down or bad.
Excess code would have little effect on the install time. Packaging and compressing assets improves install times, however. Most games released today don't unpack into a series of loose files (AOE3's loose dialogue files spring to mind).

E:
Yes! It doesn't feel like a real game if it doesn't come with a box and manual to read while installing it.
What games have you been playing? The last couple of games I bought had a small booklet with the controls and a seizure warning if I was lucky.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 03:42:18 am by NobodyPro »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2014, 03:57:49 am »

The actual code part of a game in regards to storage size is tiny, in the megabytes. 95%+ of a game's size is art assets.

Music, audio, video, 8k*8k textures (multiple per model too (albedo, normal, glow etc)), 3d models, animations etc.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2014, 01:28:20 pm »

Smash bros broke street date in Japan.

It's out in the wild, and full roster is revealed
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*