Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Player, New Adventures  (Read 673 times)

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Player, New Adventures
« on: August 21, 2014, 12:29:12 pm »

After failing repeatedly to play Dwarf Fortress over the past few years (even before the NYT article) I recently discovered the book on how to play.  It made a world of difference.

In all those years that I failed to play I always admired the stories I read from people playing and was envious of all the fun they were having losing.  So, with my new book in hand, I made certain to document my dwarves as they tried to gain a stronghold.  I think I've played for a total of about six hours.  I was thinking they would be dead by now, but they are hanging on.  If they make it through the winter, I plan to try and grow food for them.

The webpage for my adventures: http://schlake.us/df/

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Player, New Adventures
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 10:10:39 am »

Sooooooo I played another six hours last night, doubling my time.  I told my dwarves to dig an up/down staircase straight down.  I encountered not one but two cavern complexes down there.  One of them cause me to have to reroute my staircase because apparently dwarves can't build one downwards from the ceiling to the floor.  Eventually, I hit hot rock.  So I did the obvious this, and I told them to dig anyway.

So now I have a staircase leading to a lake a magma that passes through two cavern complexes.  Those caverns have been open for quite a while, and nothing has crawled up my staircases to kill my dwarves.  Is that normal?  From everything I had read, I was certain that digging straight down would be disaster.

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 11:48:54 am »

I'd say it's quite normal, same as it is normal for monsters to crawl in.
Especially in current version, when cave fliers are hovering over the same tile all their life, preventing other creatures from spawning.
error: 'long long long' is too long

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 02:48:31 pm »

So, if anyone is reading my meager stories, I'm up to my third fortress...  Admittedly, I didn't play the first two from start to lose, but I think I went far enough.