Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

>.<

?
!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Caravans of Tar Rabin ~Now serving: The Hands of God (Turn 8)~  (Read 6563 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Goal of the game: Be the most prosperous Merchant Guild in the world
Each Player chooses an unclaimed civilization from the list below as "their" civilization.

Game Turns:
Each Sunday by noon (forum time), the next Player in line will be allowed to upload the "latest save file" from the link at the bottom of the page.  Once someone posts a link to their save file, the next Player in line can choose to begin their turn early, but if a Player has not been able to post the link of their turn to the board before noon on Sunday of that week, that turn is skipped.

On a Player's first turn, they will have a year counted from the beginnings of the next four seasons to set up their "home base".  Players are encouraged to embark with as much stuff as they want, but with the understanding that all non-player caravans during fortress mode are to be ignored.  The only caravans that will exist in this game are the ones Players create by traveling in Adventure Mode.
Every new embark (including the first) requires one of the starting seven to have at least a novice level of the "Appraiser" skill and be appointed as the "broker".
In this game, dwarven currency takes the form of crafted gemstone rings.  The relative worth and rarity of these rings made from single gems make wealth easily transportable.  The relative values of these rings are in units called "dorfbucks"

At any time, a Player may choose to Place a bid for a Caravan
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

During their turn, a Player may choose to do one of the following:

1) Create or unretire an adventurer for fourteen (in-game) nights

2) Create a new embark, then immediately retire it.

3) Unretire a single previously retired embark and play it until the next season begins.
[/spoiler]

Civilizations: (Available / Claimed)
The Permanent Construct
The Fierce Furnaces
The Violent Anvil Zlob
The Barricade of Naming
The Paddles of Cresting
The Past Guilds Megaman_zx
The Blue Artifact Timeless Bob
The Fierce Furnaces
The Sorcerous Papers
The Greatest Fences
The Labyrinthine Earth
The Tongs of Murder

Turn List                                                                                                                                     
           Player.............................Guild Name.....................................Total Wealth
Round 1: (Winner = Fishnation)
   1) Timeless Bob....................The.Charm.of.Trading................Headquarters:   6,556db
   2) Zlob................................The.Hands.of.Gods....................Headquarters:   8,316db
   3) Megaman_zx....................Fishnation................................Headquarters: 12,690db

Round 2: (Winner = The Hands of Gods)
   4) Timeless Bob...................The.Charm.of.Trading.................New Embark:    6,556db
   5) Zlob................................The.Hands.of.Gods....................Headquarters: 26,200db
   6) Megaman_zx....................Fishnation................................Skipped turn

Round 3:
   7) Timeless Bob...................The.Charm.of.Trading................Headquarters 7,051db

Retired Embark Sites:
............Guild....................................Site Name......................................Site.Wealth
The.Charm.of.Trading.....................Guildhouse.of.Charm...........................6,440db.(+611)
The.Hands.of.Gods.........................Steelwalled.......................................26,200db (+0)
Fishnation.....................................Tradepost.the.Deification.of.Fishes.......12,600db.(+90)

Bids

Latest save file: Territory maps
      Year 2:

Year 5:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 07:42:31 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
Re: The Caravans of Tar Rabin (DF2014)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 07:34:31 pm »

*edit because i'm not in the turn list yet*

sounds awesome i'm in for the avalanche of pearls... guild name.... Fishnation (or something similar)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 11:36:29 pm by Megaman_zx »
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 12:12:14 am »

*edit because i'm not in the turn list yet*

sounds awesome i'm in for the avalanche of pearls... guild name.... Fishnation (or something similar)

Why don't you just take your turn now and upload the save on the 24th?  The first turn is pretty much just setting yourself up for an embark next turn anyway.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 01:04:10 am »

okay, reread the rules, so i basically just embark (prepare carefully) then retire. to complete my turn... since these first turns shoudl be relatively fast (if i'm reading this right) then you could probably move up the due date.

lolz, figured it out.... (wow i'm dumb)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:24:58 am by Megaman_zx »

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 01:42:33 am »

okay, reread the rules, so i basically just embark (prepare carefully) then retire. to complete my turn... since these first turns shoudl be relatively fast (if i'm reading this right) then you could probably move up the due date.

lolz, figured it out.... (wow i'm dumb)
Be sure that you're using your civ, changing the group name for your embark to "Fishnation" and that your new embark is in a Region square that touches one that your civ claims already,

Sundays are the latest that any Player has to to submit a turn link to the board - I suspect the adventurer's caravan turns, with a re-embark and a year's worth of carefully managing a fortress to produce its maximum yield might take a bit longer, but we'll see what happens.  I'll edit the first entry to clarify.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:55:41 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 01:55:54 am »

ok, did my embark, spent 1236 points (is that how we're calculating base cost, or do we need to appoint a broker?)

a quick question, then an idea/question/thing...

If we decide to spend our turn playing a year, do we have to play till spring, or can we retire early if we get scared by a siege or some such (haven't played the newest version enough to know how retiring works) or do we have to wait till spring?

Once the trade deals start being made i am assuming that there will be quite a few failed runs with dead adventurers and such, is there going to be a cost to "hiring adventurers" with demigods being expensive, heroes being costly and peasants being cheap?
i suggest that hiring a demigod is the equivelant of owning a baron, a hero is the same as owning a sherif, and a peasant is the same price as a married couple

here's my save so far
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:06:18 am by Megaman_zx »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 02:17:24 am »

ok, did my embark, spent 1236 points (is that how we're calculating base cost, or do we need to appoint a broker?)
I'm actually using the "imported wealth" amount on the "z" screen when you have an appraiser, but I can re-embark using no points at all but with one of the dwarves being an appraiser and find out what the embark cost is pretty easily.  I'll be subtracting the cost of the clothes my dwarves are wearing and my new wagon from what I find on the "z" screen to make the account fair.

a quick question, then an idea/question/thing...

If we decide to spend our turn playing a year, do we have to play till spring, or can we retire early if we get scared by a siege or some such (haven't played the newest version enough to know how retiring works) or do we have to wait till spring?  If you attempt to retire during a seige, your site is conquered, but you can retire to avoid tantrum spirals or titan/megabeast attacks.  I see no problem with retiring a fortress before Spring arrives - that will just give the next Player a reason to play their adventurer first until after Spring arrives and retiring them somewhere for awhile before taking their fortress turn through to the following Spring, or however long they choose to go.

Once the trade deals start being made i am assuming that there will be quite a few failed runs with dead adventurers and such, is there going to be a cost to "hiring adventurers" with demigods being expensive, heroes being costly and peasants being cheap?
I thought about that, but I'm thinking the real cost will be in lost trade-goods or lost dorfbuck reserves.  So my thought was that if we had a bunch of heroic demigods leading groups of basically pack-animals and caravan guards all over the place, the game would become just that much more fun and challenging.  If a Player wished to hire a Player-made peasant adventurer as a companion, it might be interesting seeing them eventually become Caravan leaders in their own right.  To be perfectly clear, adventuring caravans might take several turns to reach their destinations, "resting for awhile" in intermediate stops between turns.

here's my save so far
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:23:08 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 03:00:28 am »

I thought about that, but I'm thinking the real cost will be in lost trade-goods or lost dorfbuck reserves.  So my thought was that if we had a bunch of heroic demigods leading groups of basically pack-animals and caravan guards all over the place, the game would become just that much more fun and challenging.  If a Player wished to hire a Player-made peasant adventurer as a companion, it might be interesting seeing them eventually become Caravan leaders in their own right.  To be perfectly clear, adventuring caravans might take several turns to reach their destinations, "resting for awhile" in intermediate stops between turns.

grumble grumble i guess my df adventure mode elitism and hardcore purist stance of only playing peasant adventurers will be a handicap grumble grumble

Spoiler: guild charter (click to show/hide)

nother small question... and part of the reason i asked the first question... what is your stance on theft? my thinking was that adventurers would cost money, and you could shell out the big bucks for a really good adventurer to get the job done right (and relatively fast), or hire a bunch of disposable meatbags and scrounge together a caravan from local markets, peasants, and rival guild forts, and depending on your play style, and skill one may be more profitable than the other (of course those are only two strategies on a broad spectrum of dwarven morality)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:19:29 am by Megaman_zx »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 03:34:01 am »

nother small question... and part of the reason i asked the first question... what is your stance on theft? my thinking was that adventurers would cost money, and you could shell out the big bucks for a really good adventurer to get the job done right (and relatively fast), or hire a bunch of disposable meatbags and scrounge together a caravan from local markets, peasants, and rival guild forts, and depending on your play style, and skill one may be more profitable than the other (of course those are only two strategies on a broad spectrum of dwarven morality)

My stance on theft, kidnapping, blackmail, undercutting, sabotage, resource monopolies and outright murder is that all are viable strategies for the less principled Guild leader, but when a Player decides to go that route, that they invite retribution and possible trade sanctions from other Players.  (Not to mention that since we're all from different civs, an offended one could conceivably also send an invasion to attack the offending one, causing a "retired" embark to be conquered which then would cause the affected guild to lose quite a substantial sum when all has been revealed at the end of the next turn.)  I imagine Guild sanctioned wars over resources and trade routes will probably be part of this game too.  All in fun.

---

OK, so re-embarking on a site doesn't add a new wagon to the mix, it just uses the population already there - so your lack of an appraiser becomes a bit more problematic.  Instead I reverse - engineered the results of ten, zero point embarks and averaged the results: 1 point on the embark screen is worth roughly 5 db so I'll just use that when calculating a new embark without an appraiser handy.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:32:39 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 05:22:39 am »

i recreated my embark goods from memory and got 5504 db cost, but seeing as i forgot to put an appraiser in my starting 7, i'm fine with what you have right now... we can just assume that the current broker has been lining his pockets or something

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 09:21:03 am »

Do I get the rules right?

During 1st turn I can create a first embark and then retire it.
Every another turn, I can unretire ONE site I created earlier and create ONE new embark?
Also, the way to interrupt caravan from safely reaching its destination would be, for example, to murder the other player's adventurer in a site he retired in?

If it's correct, may I ask for a turn? :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:47:17 pm by zlob »
error: 'long long long' is too long

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 02:30:25 pm »

Zlob:
Before first turn: Claim an available civ and post your claim plus your Guild's name to the group

First turn: Embark on a site (with an appraiser!).  Embark must be in or next to territory your civ claims (has a little dwarf icon in) in the "Region" map (The middle one during embark). Make sure to change the "Group name" to your Guild's name.

Second to infinity turns:
Can choose to do any of the options once before saving the turn and posting it to the group.

Interrupt another caravan could be to find where one is camped out and either murder its leader, or hire off some of the companions (who might be carrying trade-goods.  No delivery in full, no payment), or knocking the leader unconscious and stealing his stuff.  (This last option might also work for stealing the payment, but why stop there?  You could steal his shoes, weapon/s and armor and put them on display in one of your embarks too.)

I know I'll be putting a bounty on the heads of anybody who decides to kill any of my caravan leaders, which I'm sure the other Players would gleefully collect.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:38:25 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 03:26:07 pm »

I'm glad I understood everything right (took me some time though :D )
Can I grab the save now?
I'll claim The Armored Palisade (it sounds threatening :P ).

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 03:27:31 pm »

OK, The Armored Palisade is your civ, What will your guild name be?

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 03:30:59 pm »

I was going to say it when I grab the save. It's going to be a random dwarfy name I'll generate when making my first embark. Wait a few minutes and I'll post it.
Should I grab the one from your post or from megaman's?
EDIT: The one from Megaman has the later creation hour. I'm assuming it's the right one.
EDIT2: My guild is "The Hands of Gods". Imported wealth is 5470 db.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:04:25 pm by zlob »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5