Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chiptunes Station  (Read 2103 times)

Noyemi K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Delmun Soft
Chiptunes Station
« on: May 14, 2016, 07:17:33 am »

That's right folks, this thread's the Chiptunes Station, meaning you come here and dump your chiptunes! Although, it's best to post one or two at a time so that there's plenty of room to discuss things. I don't think music threads usually do too well here, but I'm sure there's a couple of you that make stuff with FamiTracker, VortexTracker, FL Studio + emulator VSTs, and even fakebit.

My personal preference is creating music for PC-88 and PC-98 by compiling MML programs:
YM2203:
In the Line of Duty
Kekoha's Lover
EVENT_1.M
The Professor

YM2608:
NK1 OPNA ver. (SSGPCM)
Introduction OPNA ver. (SSGPCM)
Still Sleepy (Speak Board)

Additionally, I do game and anime arrangements from time to time as well. These are fairly time consuming thanks to the method I need to use to transcribe these, but the end results are nice and crunchy:
Trauma Center: Under the Knife - Routine
Gundam F91 Opening (Kimi wo Mitsumete)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trial (Speak Board)
PASSPORT.MID

I'm working on a quick guide for using PMD MML and compiling it for PC-98 like I do! So far, it's a work in progress.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: Chiptunes Station
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 01:41:57 pm »

I've always wanted to do chiptune, but the demand people place in terms of 'authenticity' irks me a little as a generic outsider to pretty much everything else as well. I do some sounds that qualify as fakebit I guess? I mostly just really like the raw feel of simple waveforms in subtractive synthesis, especially anything with the grit/distortion of detuned square. I feel like I'd miss the power of FL too much to avoid it altogether, but you mention emulator VSTs and it had never even occurred to me that might exist haha. Will have to check some out tonight. If you have any you can recommend/any that seem popular, I'm game =3
3xOsc Invasion is probably closest to actual chip, but the smooth tempo changes probably instantly disqualifies it or something

I love that you did PASSPORT. I was trying to drum up enthusiasm for a CANYON remix thing in the furry music chat I'm in, but no dice. Your tutorial is intriguing too - PMD seems close to ABC for ease of directly writing compositions, with the power of FM synthesis instead of midi. I really want to find something like this that has more conventional programming features too, like flow control with conditionals and functions - Supercollider sort of clicked for me, but it was too low-level to get started composing quickly.

(man, the bots are out in force today on Botcloud. Got like three while typing this)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 01:44:33 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Noyemi K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Delmun Soft
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 04:10:22 pm »

PMD I believe does have conditionals, but the use is very... well, conditional. KOLIN2 includes other program flow features and is a little more assembly-like in some respects, especially with what you have to do to get a song started. It's one of the reasons my KOLIN2 demos seem a little rudimentary compared to the wealth of richer PMD work I've done.

I would recommend ymVST, NES VST, YM2612 VST, VOPM, and any of the C64 SID VSTs that catch your fancy if you want to inject some emulator stuff in your fakebit work or make chiptunes in your DAW.

I don't judge here, so as long as you believe it's got some chip quality to the sound it's totally welcome, particularly stuff like the one you showed. It's simple but it would still sound good in a platformer.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 07:15:05 pm »

Alright =3
Dank Shadows - all ymVST, with Ambience (a reverb plugin) and a delay bank on the growly bass at the beginning. Just messing around for now, nothing crazy complex. I like how buzzy the 'sound' part can make things, is that just an impulse from the window at the top? and that it lets you detune different parts of it differently.
(I realize this is probably way more polyphony for an Atari ST than is reasonable, but to hell with it! x3)
I'll just update this post as I make more. This is kind of interesting :D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 09:03:12 pm by Eagleon »
Music, Ballpoint

Noyemi K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Delmun Soft
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 08:11:54 am »

Still doing great work, I admit I don't normally go for fakebit but the heart in it is tangible! I did a couple more game covers since my last post, definitely more into alternative arrangement territory than just pure transcription:

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons - Windmill (PC-8801)
Pokemon G/S - Lucky Number Channel (PC-8801)
Undertale - Dating Tense! (PC-8801)

Sim City SNES - Disaster! (PC-98 Speak Board)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 04:21:54 pm »

I've always wanted to do chiptune, but the demand people place in terms of 'authenticity' irks me a little as a generic outsider to pretty much everything else as well. I do some sounds that qualify as fakebit I guess?
Whaaaat? Chiptines = WIN is the largest community I know off, and the people there are really accepting of basically everything. You should check it out, the Facebook group is awesome (even if it does tend to be pretty LSDJ-focused at times). Ignore the haters c:

I dont make chiptune myself. I want to, but I have no musical talent at all, and no discipline :P
So i usually just end up listening to the aural ambrosia other people make.

(Followed both of you on soundcloud, I'm always looking for people to follow :v)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 04:23:39 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 10:43:10 am »

Still doing great work, I admit I don't normally go for fakebit but the heart in it is tangible! I did a couple more game covers since my last post, definitely more into alternative arrangement territory than just pure transcription:

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons - Windmill (PC-8801)
Pokemon G/S - Lucky Number Channel (PC-8801)
Undertale - Dating Tense! (PC-8801)

Sim City SNES - Disaster! (PC-98 Speak Board)
Man... I think the main reason I never caught with the chip movement is we didn't even have more than onboard sound on our computer until like 1994. It was all Doom and other such PC games after that, with occasional consoles that broke very quickly because my bigger brothers had an aura of technological destruction. Midi is probably more my thing as a result, but I did play pokemon up to G/S at least, so the Lucky Number Channel was cool to hear.

Also reminded me that this horror exists: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46645289/pokecenter%208D.mp3

We did have Genesis for a long time - I'm getting the feeling that I should be piping that YM2612 through a cabinet or EQ, and a very narrow frequency-gated rattling sample to get the feel of a big tube-style television with crappy built-in speakers vibrating with all the screws and bits of plastic that have broken loose inside of it. Atmosphereee ;V I remember Ecco having really nice sound, so maybe I'll play through it some today.
Whaaaat? Chiptines = WIN is the largest community I know off, and the people there are really accepting of basically everything. You should check it out, the Facebook group is awesome (even if it does tend to be pretty LSDJ-focused at times). Ignore the haters c:
Will do, although I'm always really nervous about putting my stuff down in front of big communities of musicians. I don't have as thin a skin as I used to, but still feels bad man when I get a generic "I don't like it" response, or worse, dead silence - usually all you can get out of people for critique.
(Followed both of you on soundcloud, I'm always looking for people to follow :v)
Thanks haha. It's almost impossible to tell real users from bots on there, good to know actual human beings are still using it for its intended purpose =3
Music, Ballpoint

Noyemi K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Delmun Soft
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 12:48:08 pm »

I did some compositions for PC-9801-86. 86 is similar to Speak Board in that it uses a YM2608, but it has less ESF RAM (<=128kB vs 256kB) and the sample channel is 8 bit PCM instead of 4 bit ADPCM. The Chibi Oto addon would make PC-9801-86 compatible with Speak Board music.

Sleeper Agent
Stakeout

Noyemi K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Delmun Soft
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 05:21:22 pm »