Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Why don't dwarves have butts?  (Read 7909 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Why don't dwarves have butts?
« on: August 22, 2014, 10:11:32 am »

Serious question. The game models individual teeth, genetic, hair styles, broken pinky fingernails. It has full lists of rib bones and body fibers and fat layers.

I'm genuinely curious why Toady left out some obvious body parts. Squeamishness? Because of the precious children who might be playing DF (hahaha) and have never heard of a butt??

Yes I know there's been mods that add those but I'm talking about vanilla, and the reason why they weren't included.

In conclusion, I want to cut off a goblin's left buttock and smash it through his brain

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Why don't dwarves have butts?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 10:28:48 am »

No, there isn't squeamishness.  Dwarfs just don't have butts.  Its why you don't need to build toilets.  They have 100% digestive efficiency.

And everybody knows dwarfs reproduce by spores.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 10:31:45 am »

You can mod it if you really want to.  Head on over to the modding section of the forums and try to learn the raws.

And then check out these:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Modding_guide
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Token
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 02:52:05 pm »

I think he's trying to keep it clean to avoid bullshit media controversy. Besides, the butt is kind of just the fatty shock absorbing part of the lower body... no reason to make it its own thing unless you want to shove your sword up one or something, which is probably what he's trying to avoid.

clownwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 05:43:53 pm »

Yeah its so easy to add it. Just copy the format of 'tail', and add the new body part to the Dwarves.

I'm not entirely sure if it can be severed though. My Aardvark Men seems to only get their tails fractured, never severed.

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 05:55:20 pm »

Because it doesn't particularly add anything to the game.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 06:02:55 pm »

Because it doesn't particularly add anything to the game.
While the buttocks themselves dont actually ad to the game, the need to juggle about more 'uncontrolled' resources would be more Fun.

You need some water.  Some magma is nice, but not required.  And you need a way to dispose of excess materials.  If say, physical waste 'refus' was to be made more of a problem then just, throw down a hole into magma (like disease or heavier thoughts) and there was a need for liquid waste (be it actual urine or even something that plays of already present materials, like dust, syndrome powder, etc) it would be cool.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

clownwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 07:21:25 pm »

Ok just adding a Butt body part doesn't work because it will never get targeted. This means that you also need to add it to the tissue layers, on the body detail plan default txt.

I'm not sure if it is the case, but I think the bigger the size of the part, the more chances of it getting hit increases as well (as opposed to small sized eyes, or noses).

I am still curious if it can actually be severed. I have never seen the regular 'cheeks' get severed, so there might be a token hidden for this somewhere.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 07:24:23 pm »

Ok just adding a Butt body part doesn't work because it will never get targeted. This means that you also need to add it to the tissue layers, on the body detail plan default txt.

I'm not sure if it is the case, but I think the bigger the size of the part, the more chances of it getting hit increases as well (as opposed to small sized eyes, or noses).

I am still curious if it can actually be severed. I have never seen the regular 'cheeks' get severed, so there might be a token hidden for this somewhere.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Body_token
PKs DF Mod!

Baskingner

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Power doesnt corrupt people, people corrupt power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 04:36:06 am »

Dwarfs dont need Butts, they already have awesome beards!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 07:26:35 am »

If you consider butts to be upper leg muscle and fat, dwarves already have butts
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 07:29:27 am »

Dwarves are just angry beards on legs. Angry, beer-soaked beards on legs. There is nothing important in between. All that is between the beard and legs is just support structure for the beard  :P
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 07:44:24 am »

I think in Masterwork there are buttocks. Either that or another mod. I DO know that whenever they exist, they exist solely to be cut off or shot with arrows. Once I had a dwarf get hit with I don't know how many arrows (at least eight) and all of them hit his arse. Kinda hilarious when your entire military is running around without butts.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 09:12:18 am »

Dwarves should definitely have butts, but they shouldn't be functional.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 05:25:31 pm »

Dwarves don't need butts, they aren't wasteful, they just digest the whole thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4