Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many people are still participating?

Players
Readers
Lurkers
Trolls

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: ☼Choose your own adventure☼ Human Trade center  (Read 13867 times)

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
☼Choose your own adventure☼ Human Trade center
« on: August 22, 2014, 04:53:47 pm »

Welcome to the Choose your own adventure central.

Polls will run for roughly 24 hours before I take the prescribed action. Except weekends. I like my weekends.

As Humans in the Masterwork world we will eventually have almost any possibility open to us. After embark location is settled upon I will begin embark of the Fortress. I will use the first year to get the foundation set up. There will be two styles of actions that can be taken by you, the readers.

First, you can VOTE for fortress directives, and goals that will come up from time to time. Want us to focus on luring out dwarven traders and improving our military? Sure, it may be an option. Want to buy more slaves peasants from the goblins? We can do that as well. Providing we can afford these things.

Second, you can request a minion, who will earn you money based on goods, or services, produced. (Minus tax, of course. I have to make money too you know. Military minions are paid based on skills improved, gear acquired or kills obtained.). Your, ahem, "income" will be tracked by player. Everybody can have only one minion. If you have sufficient funds to purchase a new one after your old one dies (Price dependant on population availability), then great. If not, you forfeit all accumulated wealth to obtain a new one.

What good are minions you ask? Well, the only way to be dwarfed, er, personified, as a human is to save up enough money to afford to bring you to town in person. (There can only be one incarnation of you at any given time) By in person, I mean, you are the Heroes that are for hire in the town tavern. If players save up enough for additional heroes they may be purchased but are considered non-city heroes and must be outfitted at the cost of the player.(See Masterwork manual for details)

In character posts at least 1 paragraph long (5 sentences) will be rewarded with a minimum of 100 gold.

Once your Hero has taken up residence in town your income will be dependant on both your minion output and your Hero kills/services. If you want to improve your hero skills/armor/runes/etc. then you must pay for the upgrades out of your own account. The town itself will sponsor heroes as well, in case player heroes simply do not want to be bothered by certain perils.

Directions can be handled by post.
Suggestions for future polls should be done in Green
Directions for your minion are to be performed in Orange
Actions for your Hero should be requested in Purple

Let's give this a try.

Region information:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Save file after 3 years: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9536

Additional rules may be added or changed at any time. Some rules may be applied retroactively. Or not. Restrictions may apply. Void where prohibited. Except on days that end in a Y. If you mis-post, forget to bold, highlight, provide directives the creater of this work waives any and all responsibility for death, destruction of property or dismemberment that may follow. You have been warned.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:53:23 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Choose your own adventure☼ Human Trade center
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 04:55:20 pm »

Player account information:

In the following format:
Player Name
Account balance
Minion details
Hero details
Items owned

Meph:

Account Balance:
Minion personality:
Minion Inventory and skills:
Hero personality:
Hero Skills and inventory:
Items owned:

Imeka:

Account balance:
Minion personality:
Hero personality:
Hero Inventory and skills:
Owned items:

Shadow of Fate:

Account balance:
Minion personality:
Hero Inventory and skills:
Hero personality:
Owned items:

Bluescreen1988:
Account balance:
Minion personality:
Hero personality:
Hero skills:
Owned items:

Beirus:
Account balance:
Minion personality:
Hero personality:
Hero inventory and skills:
Owned items:

heydude6:
Account balance:
Minion personality:
Minion skills and Inventory:
Hero personality:
Hero skills and Inventory:
Owned items:

Onod Itlud:
Account balance:
Minion personality:
Minion Skills and Inventory:
Hero personality:
Hero Skills and Inventory:
Owned items:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:16:00 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 04:55:47 pm »

Reserved for future use.

;D

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 04:57:12 pm »

Do a very hot biome.

ptw to get a glimpse of masterwork mechanics.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 06:11:35 pm »

I was kind of hoping to vote for a hybrid of the options but I can only choose one very specific thing. Hmmm... What option do you think would best fit a coastal desert bordering mountains? A volcano in a sandy desert with or instead of a mountain biome would be bonus for crazy glass production, but I won't get that picky.

Don't really care about good/evil. If it is, fine. If not, fine. So I can eliminate those. A river is cool but no river is also fine. Either way, I don't want it in grasslands, forest, or jungle unless a desert is a decent amount of the territory. So I eliminate that. So that just leaves a scenic coastal site or extreme temperature. An extreme temperature desert isn't necessarily a must, although generally when you think of a desert you think of it as be hot or scorching. But then I don't necessarily need it to be. I want a coastal desert with mountains and/or a volcano. I guess I could consider that a "scenic" coastal area? Well the option doesn't really describe what I want, but it's the closest thing I could come up with and it guarantees the coast part of it. Hopefully my comment clarifies.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 11:15:07 am »

All right, looks like choices are in. I shall begin on finding the embark location. River, coast, sweltering hot, possible desert, maybe mountain.

Final votes were:
Scenic trade capitol by the ocean:3
Bustling River metropolis:4
End of the world (Hot):2
I like ponies and Unicorns!:1
Anywhere evil:0

I deliberately didn't include all possible combinations because I can use the voting to determine combinations rather than have 20 options that have 1 vote on ten of them.

New poll up.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 11:30:25 am »

Good luck.

How about Meph, the carpenter/woodcrafter?  :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Imeka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 12:34:09 pm »

I'd like to request a minion. Someone who has something to do with stones, ores or gems, meaning at least one of the following skills: miner, mason, engraver, stonecrafter, furnace operator, gem cutter, gem setter.

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 05:51:34 pm »

All right, looks like choices are in. I shall begin on finding the embark location. River, coast, sweltering hot, possible desert, maybe mountain.

Final votes were:
Scenic trade capitol by the ocean:3
Bustling River metropolis:4
End of the world (Hot):2
I like ponies and Unicorns!:1
Anywhere evil:0

I deliberately didn't include all possible combinations because I can use the voting to determine combinations rather than have 20 options that have 1 vote on ten of them.

I see. So there's a a method to your madness. Between the comments and the vote you have an embark area. It seems like we have somewhere hot, coastal, with a river, but the biome in flux. Ideally I would like a coastal desert bordering mountains as I stated before. Or at the very least a desert as part of the area. But if a desert is not possible, then hot or scorching coastal plains probably would be the second best.

New poll up.

I was actually hoping for glass making because I wanted a glass maker. That's partly (only partly not the only reason) why I wanted a coastal desert. Guaranteed sand, and hopefully multiple types of sand. I'm going to hold off on requesting one until I see what the embark area looks like. And glass making wasn't something I could vote for so I had to vote for something else.

These are just my personal preferences, but here again was my thought process for voting. Keep in mind that I'm thinking of what would be good early. I don't personally care about leather working or carpentry. Not only am I not interested, but there's no guarantee our embark would support that early. I'm not all that concerned about masonry. It's a solid early industry, but not a focus of mine. And depending on where we are, we may not have access to good early stone. Grasslands and deserts tend to have high sand and/or soil levels. Throw in an aquifer and it could be awhile. Although, that would build the case for embarking in an area at least on the edge of mountains. Almost guaranteed early stone for the masons, and that appear to be very popular so far.

Merchants are very interesting to me. But you need something to sell first, right? So I didn't vote for that. I also like smithing, but it's not always the easiest industry to set up. It's a bit slower, and sometimes metal is more scarce and needs to be saved for other things. Building an industry on that early can be somewhat risky depending on the embark area. Fishing I like and was something I had in mind when I voted for coastal, but it wasn't a priority to me. Early on, just send a guy or two to fish. We'll have the water to do so. And long term, I personally like the idea of fish farms. This is something that would need more time to build an infrastructure for, which is not something that works well early game.

So I voted for engineering. I think it allows us to make mechanisms and such early either to sell or to use for ourselves. This gives us a potential play on the masonry industry early on if we are successful in finding easily accessed stone. And if that isn't feasible because we don't have easily accessible stone, then we have another option to use it with metal supply in conjunction with smithing instead. Or if both those two are bad early, we could use wood in conjunction with a siege workshop to get by until we find good stone and/or metal. The point is that an engineering focus gives us more flexibility early on in case the embark area doesn't work out for a particular industry. It also has benefits for our infrastructure. In particular, I figured engineering could also be useful for utilizing all the water in our embark area, as well as help with fish farms down the road.

bluescreen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 06:12:34 pm »

I'd like to request a military minion if possible.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 07:46:19 pm »

((New Minions added to second post. Rule change added to first post.

Shadow, embark was in scorching coastal/river delta. I didn't expect any vegetation but was pleasantly surprised by some trees. We do have sand. Plenty of it. We even got a glassmaker and her daughter as our first two migrants.

In regards to selling items, I will be running the fortress as the 'Master trader' (Go easy on me, I apparently just got married.)

))

Journal of Innu Agthruni - Merchant guild member, founder of Luritakkar (Spotflares in the new tongue)

It has been a harrowing journey. Our home lies to the far east. Far, far east. The guild has been unhappy that trade hasn't been going well. Not much has, to be honest. What with beast attacks and poor trade routes.

A reward, and significant prestige were offered to anyone that could establish an overland trade route to the Western ocean, and establish a trade post to boot.

To be honest, I mostly just wanted to get out from under the oppressive thumb of my father, and my girlfriend thought it a fabulous idea. She has some background in Archaeology, and we met at the University. Her more rugged personality won me over quickly, though, to be honest, I'm not completely sure I know what she saw in me back then. I was young, naive, poorly skilled, and more interested in song and dance than I was in my academic studies.

My father said no, of course.

So I made a rash decision. I organized the trip anyways, and *ahem* borrowed the funds at the last minute from his not-so-secret stash.

I'd say I miss my family, but honestly, it's mostly my mama and little sis. to which I regret not saying properly good bye. It's a good thing that San is good with maps. I've have gotten us hopelessly lost for sure. We still overshot a little to the north, which was almost disastrous, as the land north of us is said to be haunted. What in it's right mind would haunt those scorched wastes I do not know. We did not stay long enough to find out.

In the end we simply travelled south until we hit the river, then followed it to the sea. And the site itself seemed like a good place to stop. Freshwater. Saltwater. There were even some palm trees, which we didn't expect. The survey maps said the area was entirely devoid of vegetation.

For that reason we didn't even bring an axe. Or any weapon, for that matter.

Ah, well. We arrived safe enough.

We stopped the wagon as close to the ocean as possible, the refreshing spray of the sea stinging our faces. It was the only cool thing in this sun-baked area. And the water was warm. Comfortably so, in fact.

We came well prepared. Some food and water, Nature shall provide I hope. Most of the fruit and such was eaten on the way and all that was left were the seeds, meticulously saved.

We did have some lumber, expecting to find none.

And most of the rest of the space was filled with granite. Good solid bedrock material.

If one is to build a place of refuge by the ocean, it is almost without peer. Solid and dependable, just like my dear San.

Work began at once, cutting the stone into block and fashioning our perimeter. All of us pitched in to help with the construction, San working alongside me with Imeka and the others.

There was some wildlife, but it did not bother us. Eagles, golden eagles, crabs. The dingoes were a little disturbing and as we were finishing the perimeter we saw several lions slinking around.

I managed to collect some webs of local spiders to weave into thread and make some excellent rare silk cloth, but unfortunately we must have disturbed them enough that they have not returned.

Come summer I thought I was about to faint with heat, and the sun was making me crazy but we received not one but two human caravans. One from the guild, which we traded the cloth with, and the other from further north, which we had nothing worth trading. A pity, since we were running short on food and drink since everyone was pitching in to complete the perimeter still.

Our first migrants were Shadow, and her daughter. Meph and her family joined us in the fall, and some of her cousins came later. One of them was even a priest. We shall have to see what we can do to provide him a proper place to pray.

Fall brought the dwarves, and with them a bounty of meat. The lions that roam this area apparently posed a threat and their caravan guards attacked them, killing three. Good meat for us.

A shame for me for my neglect though. Most of it rotted in the sun before it could be properly stored.

At our year mark we celebrated, briefly. San and I were married shortly thereafter, now comfortable in the new home we have provided and excited at the prospects we have in this new place. Merchants are beginning to set up stalls in the building we are working on, a quarry has begun in the southeast. Farms, of a sort are growing, but the salty air is not ideal.

We are even working on building housing on the perimeter of the wall. People will want quiet, away from the bustling center of our town.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 07:47:56 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 09:33:00 pm »

((New Minions added to second post. Rule change added to first post.

Shadow, embark was in scorching coastal/river delta. I didn't expect any vegetation but was pleasantly surprised by some trees. We do have sand. Plenty of it. We even got a glassmaker and her daughter as our first two migrants.

In regards to selling items, I will be running the fortress as the 'Master trader' (Go easy on me, I apparently just got married.)

I see. That's good news. We got plenty of sand, stone, and water (salt and fresh) to work with. A few trees to work with is also good, although I can't say it would be good for a big carpentry industry. But overall, it seems like we can do most of what we want.

By the way, could you tell me what kinds of sands there are? I'm looking to know every kind of sand we have available.

We stopped the wagon as close to the ocean as possible, the refreshing spray of the sea stinging our faces. It was the only cool thing in this sun-baked area. And the water was warm. Comfortably so, in fact.

We came well prepared. Some food and water, Nature shall provide I hope. Most of the fruit and such was eaten on the way and all that was left were the seeds, meticulously saved.

We did have some lumber, expecting to find none.

And most of the rest of the space was filled with granite. Good solid bedrock material.
We are even working on building housing on the perimeter of the wall. People will want quiet, away from the bustling center of our town.

What a strange looking embark area. Could you please better explain the biomes in the area to me? I know that there's a plain of some sort on the green. I don't know if it's a grassland, savanna, or what. I can see the river and ocean. I assume the ocean is tropical saltwater and the river is tropical freshwater? Is that right? I can't tell what the blackened area is. Is that the stone that was mentioned? What biome is that? Are we near a mountain or desert? I don't see any. And the stuff on the coast appears to be some sort of mix between stone and sand. But I can't tell what kinds.

Our first migrants were Shadow, and her daughter. Meph and her family joined us in the fall, and some of her cousins came later. One of them was even a priest. We shall have to see what we can do to provide him a proper place to pray.

That's great. It looks like I got a head start. To be honest, I was expecting not to have someone quite this early because I thought I would have time to see if the embark area would support a glass maker. But since that's not an issue, this works out well. I would have made up a name other than Shadow if I had known when I was going to get my minion, but I think I'll just keep it now. It fits well enough.

As for my daughter, could you show the specs on her? I'm curious. On another note, I find it somewhat disturbing that I would have one at 16. It makes me wonder how old the daughter is... OMG. Just read the bio again. Apparently she is married with 3 kids! At 16! Dang...

Shadow of Fate:

Account balance:
Minion personality:
Owned items:

Wow. Looks like I got quite the head start indeed. I'm ahead in the gold race. And apparently, she is especially handy at bone carving. Huh... Pretty strange for a glassmaker. My migrant looks very handy, if not a bit strange.

How is it she can be both unassertive and not like to compromise with others? And I never can get over the names of these groups generated by the random code. The Homely Kingdoms? The Puzzling League? Lol. Oh Dwarf Fortress, how you entertain me.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 12:06:28 am »

I can easily rename your minion if you would like me to Shadow. No name was stated so I just went with a fitting one.

I'll look tomorrow for what types of sand we have. Only one that I know of. And I'll look at the embark regions again to get a better idea.

Let's just say that when we started you only had glassmaking skills. The smelter and bonecarving skills were to utilize available resources since everyone else was working on walls. After the first three caravans passed and I had no trade goods I realized I needed to change that. The caravans had slaughtered some lions and a whole bunch of dingoes, so I had plenty of bone for you to work with. Now we are essentially out.

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 01:51:13 am »

I can easily rename your minion if you would like me to Shadow. No name was stated so I just went with a fitting one.

Thanks, but don't worry about it. Shadow fits well enough where I don't really feel like bothering to come up with an actual name anymore. I'm just curious on her daughter's bio and age.

I'll look tomorrow for what types of sand we have. Only one that I know of. And I'll look at the embark regions again to get a better idea

Thank you. It will be very helpful to me to know my surroundings.

Let's just say that when we started you only had glassmaking skills. The smelter and bonecarving skills were to utilize available resources since everyone else was working on walls. After the first three caravans passed and I had no trade goods I realized I needed to change that. The caravans had slaughtered some lions and a whole bunch of dingoes, so I had plenty of bone for you to work with. Now we are essentially out.

I see. That would explain a lot.

Imeka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 02:00:13 am »

I'm suprised my minion had time to make a friend, judging by the size of the wall he and the other masons were very busy.

Can you give some details about the two gods my minion is worshipping? Who is his friend?
Btw, instead of his skills his personality is linked a second time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13