Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many people are still participating?

Players
Readers
Lurkers
Trolls

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: ☼Choose your own adventure☼ Human Trade center  (Read 13894 times)

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Choose your own adventure☼ Human Trade center
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 12:00:07 pm »

Bluescreen, there is a military opportunity for you. A few pit vipers have managed to get past the crude defenses. (Apparently they are trap-avoid.)

Do you wish to engage them for greater glory?

(I have forged you some copper gear and you may consider it yours if you accept. Otherwise I will draft some other poor unfortunate.  ;))
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

bluescreen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 12:25:27 pm »

Yep. Have him attack.  Nothing ventured nothing gained  :D

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 02:14:44 pm »

Bluescreen:

Below are the results of your attacks:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You were also stationed near the entrance and I forgot to unstation you. You killed a leopard that wandered in. Apparently the animals are not trap-avoid. I was just an idiot and built cages instead of cage traps. Your character sheet is updated.

Imeka, image link fixed.

Shadow, just normal sand. No other types. Human liason only imports normal sand as well.

Kids: (Apparently you emigrated with just your youngest, and then the others came later with your mother)

Also, new round of income added based on recent work. Nearing the end of the year and I have built the Mason guild, and Merchant guild. No extensions yet. Don't have gold for it. Just realized I have a bin full, but whenever it is being moved the gold is unavailable. I have, for some reason, been unable to add north Mason guild extension. I have it built, physically. I select the extension, guy gets gold, licence is made. No option in extension. Am I doing something wrong? Worked for other guild extensions.

Meph, any suggestions?
Also, Meph: Your aunt is the priestess. Since she was an atheist she asked you to consecrate the altar to your deity.
What is the area of influence for harvesting souls?
Remember, directions for your minion, if any, are to be in orange. Otherwise I will use your minion as I see fit.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:08:26 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 04:57:14 pm »

New poll up. Please see previous post for updates and questions I have.

Can't seem to get the north guild extension to work for Mason.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:07:24 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 06:44:12 pm »

Journal of Innu Agruthunni, year 53

I decided I had better write and record recent events before they pass from my memory. It has been an extremely busy and profitable year! Perhaps I shall express my gratitude by giving everyone a bonus.

I feel I deserve one.

After all, due to my planning and our hard work we are now a barony.

I am the baron of course, and my dear San is my consort. Unfortunately we still had to live in that squalid little room by the sea. My office was perpetually damp from the surf pounding against it and the lower portions of the furniture was beginning to get salt rime near the floor. I have re-purposed my office as our official tomb and have added some statuary and displays of some of Shadow's finer carvings to spruce it up. A nice nautilus shell amulet, masterwork of course is on display on the north side, and a pit viper bone hourglass, masterwork also, on the south. It should suit us well should we perish in this sweltering oven.

I have designated the foundation for a new house for us north of the delta, and we have moved in, with new furniture. All moderate quality, except my chair. Meph did a superior job on that piece. It is quite comfortable to sit in.

Our city has also grown in size. Considerably I might add. Our success has inspired migration, and in one wave we jumped from 35 individuals to 62. Granted, many of them were children. Several other traders have joined us and I've permitted them to manage the affairs in regards to the trade stalls and Depot.

I was looking over the numbers and realized that with Shadow's carvings we have been able to afford considerable amenities from the traders. Our own, unfortunately, were quite miserly and would not be content with even a significant trade profit of 5000 gold. They left in a huff after I refused to trade more goods or reduce our desires significantly.

No big loss. The dwarven traders in the fall more than made up for it, and brought some nice exotics. I have been importing cloth and silk from the caravans for trade locally, and the profit has been considerable. It has permitted the creation and expansion of the Masons guild, the Merchant guild and the Engineers guild. We shall endeavor to build to support their full needs. Imeka was insistent that the Masons guild get highest priority. I quite agreed. They have been invaluable since our arrival. I believe Imeka deserves a free membership once available. There are, after all, many more construction projects ongoing and it does not do to irritate those that build the foundations of a city.

Speaking of, I'm afraid our militia captain suffered considerable indignity due to my oversight. Bluescreen valiantly defended our home when a trio of pit vipers made it past our, honestly inadequate, defenses. He stood guard while the defenses were overhauled and slew a leopard.

He dutifully went back to work fishing and suffered ridicule and mockery at the hands of his fellows. All for lack of ... pants. Yes, in my efforts to armor him properly I forgot to construct a set of greaves to cover his ... well, you know. He started a few fist fights because of the jeers, which is when I noticed it. To compensate him for my oversight I have given him the mithril greaves we purchased from the dwarven caravan. It's the least I can do.

I hear the fisherwomen are quite grateful. He was distressing them when he bent over to retrieve his catch every time.

Speaking of the fishery workers, all is going well on that front. This place is bountiful. The delta is a perfect place to hunt for fish, shellfish and all sort of other things. A fishery worker that arrived here, though somewhat uninspired, also created an item of interest. I have had it on display in my new office.

We have also had to move the quarry. Unfortunately the original site was inadequate and after significant excavation we had struck an aquifer. It has been moved to the North-west corner and the mining workshops are in process of being moved there as well. That alone will take some time. The old quarry has been re-designated as a temple grounds. Meph's aunt, the priestess constructed an altar and Meph helped her to consecrate it to Kazis. A suitable deity for our town. Fate and loyalty indeed.

Lapip, the priestess has been very devoted, and I have seen fit to let her do so, free of distraction. Except childbirth. Her and Meph both had children just days apart.

Our home progresses, in trade, size and capability. Soon I fear we shall attract unwanted attention and I will need to begin seeing to our defense.

I have included the summary details and a sketch of our home for posterity. May we have many.

(As a side note, apparently humans mature earlier than dwarves. Shadow's son is 10 and married! Scary thought.)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:48:19 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 07:26:51 pm »

New poll up.

Cool. I voted for more guilds as we still don't have a glassmakers guild. Will that be awhile?

Shadow, just normal sand. No other types. Human liason only imports normal sand as well.

Darn. I guess I'll just have to use normal sand to make my glass things. (I know it has no impact on the actual glass goods, but I was hoping for different types of sand for RP purposes. Oh well.) I assume there is no desert then? Also, could you tell me more information about the biomes and such like I had asked? Is there lava or a volcano nearby? Or maybe a mountain? That might explain the vast stone on the surface.

Kids: (Apparently you emigrated with just your youngest, and then the others came later with your mother)
(As a side note, apparently humans mature earlier than dwarves. Shadow's son is 10 and married! Scary thought.)

Thank you for this. And yes, I noticed that. Married at 10, and believe it or not, that's not the craziest part I discovered...

I read all the bios and wow. Just wow. Wow. So many things are just so wrong here. I keep being reminded that these are HUMANS and not dwarfs. First of all, the ages. My oldest kid is 10? And he is married! At TEN years old? WHAT? I know it was mentioned earlier, but I just have to reiterate it again because of my reaction. And that means at 16, Shadow must have been 6 when she had her first kid! SIX YEARS OLD WITH A CHILD!!!!!!! And Shadow's youngest daughter at 6 likes to consume bloodworm wine? And then it says "This woman is a member of the farmers guild..." Apparently, these humans haven't been programmed to follow even semi-realistic age patterns.

Also, the ten year old worries me. First of all, he is married at 10! He also somehow has a "very long mustache" and a "very long beard" at only ten years old. Clearly he must be some kind of mutant. That aside, I wonder if he is an addict. It says he "prefers to consume vaporous blood wraith and medicine medicine." Temporarily ignoring the fact that vaporous blood wraith is a terrifying thing to like to eat, the medicine is listed twice in a row. Apparently, he really likes to consume medicine?  That sounds like an addict to me! Attribute wise, he seems like a champ. He's incredibly tough, quick to heal, slow to tire, and has a sharp intellect. But he also has poor empathy and is quick to anger. Don't let him tantrum. Then there is the bizarre combination of not liking to lead and being put off by authority. So he prefers anarchy? He is a terrifying combination.

Apparently, Zangur Iroana is a sociopathic anarchist with a temper and terrifying tastes who has full facial hair and is married at ten years old. Oh, and he may just be a medicine addict. I don't see what could possibly go wrong...

Remember, directions for your minion, if any, are to be in orange. Otherwise I will use your minion as I see fit.

Shadow needs to start making glass thing out of the boring, ordinary sand. At this point, I don't care what glass thing you make or what kind of glass you make it out of. (Probably just green glass to start.) I just want to get it started and get Shadow's glassmaking skills up. The only problem is that you need to fuel it and we don't have many trees.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 08:05:45 pm »

Less of a problem than you realize for fuel. We have compacted peat, in fact the first layer above the temple grounds was almost entirely compacted peat. I have about 100 bars of fuel still from that layer and haven't had to excavate more yet. Keep in mind that we can also just trade for wood. It is 1000 gold for 15 wood. I think each wood makes 3 coke but I haven't tried it yet.

Green glass is likely, but I'd like to try some clear glass. I've never really made it before so I think it would be a good stretch goal for me. I'll see about the glassmakers guild. The guilds are all ridiculously large. I knew that in advance which is why my walled area is so large, but still. Each guild is essentially an 11 x 11 square fully upgraded.

I'll try to post biomes and more details soon. Didn't get around to it today.

Your kids all like fishing, incidentally. I hope your son finds it relaxing. He hasn't taken his medicine medicine recently. And yes, your 4 year old daughter was a member of the farmers guild when she migrated in. Maybe her grandmother signed her up...

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 11:50:33 pm »

Less of a problem than you realize for fuel. We have compacted peat, in fact the first layer above the temple grounds was almost entirely compacted peat. I have about 100 bars of fuel still from that layer and haven't had to excavate more yet. Keep in mind that we can also just trade for wood. It is 1000 gold for 15 wood. I think each wood makes 3 coke but I haven't tried it yet.

Huh. So there is a bunch of compacted peat in the ground. That explains a lot. I wonder how it got there. It's certainly a blessing, though. I'm glad we have enough fuel for now.

Green glass is likely, but I'd like to try some clear glass. I've never really made it before so I think it would be a good stretch goal for me. I'll see about the glassmakers guild. The guilds are all ridiculously large. I knew that in advance which is why my walled area is so large, but still. Each guild is essentially an 11 x 11 square fully upgraded.

Yeah, I thought green glass was pretty good to start because it's basic. I would like to upgrade to clear glass eventually, but I don't really care short term. Just want to get the ball rolling.

And thank you for seeing about a glassmaker's guild. I think it would be easier for my minion if there was a guild to accommodate her profession.

I'll try to post biomes and more details soon. Didn't get around to it today.

Alright. Thanks.

Your kids all like fishing, incidentally. I hope your son finds it relaxing. He hasn't taken his medicine medicine recently. And yes, your 4 year old daughter was a member of the farmers guild when she migrated in. Maybe her grandmother signed her up...

The fishing thing is interesting. And yeah, I worry about that boy. Either he is an addict, has some mental condition that requires medication, or both. My youngest daughter was 6 not 4, but other than that you are correct. I guess that farmer's guild must be like the dwarf fortress version of summer camp and/or daycare?

Imeka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 12:54:14 am »

Imeka would be happy to encrust some furniture or trade goods with cut glass, her gem skills need some practice.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 10:55:23 am »

New poll up. Please see previous post for updates and questions I have.

Can't seem to get the north guild extension to work for Mason.
Brick oven needs a grate. Its not just the licence, upgrading the extensions also costs buildmats, like building a new workshop.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 12:17:13 pm »

Opening post modified with uploaded save file and embark region details.

Shadow, we are just south and bordering the Brutal Wastes, which is a sand desert. That is probably why we have sand here. The grassland is compacted peat and sand. Mostly sand. The coast is the ocean biome, which, despite the abundance of sand on the land, is mostly composed of shale and shale pebbles.

Also, character updates and pay day. I will get to work on recent requests, including glass, gemcutting, mason guild details and whatnot.

Thanks for the insight Meph. I didn't see a grate listed as required but I will check. I probably just missed it.

Legends now available from save in the OP. Bonus gold available to in-character posts per OP, within reason. Anyone wishing to do a little research into Legends of our world may do a write up as well and I will summarize/link them in the third thread. Posts and histories will earn additional gold.

Oh, and we have had our first surprise visitor!

Any takers?

bluescreen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 12:28:05 pm »

Bluescreen rushes foolishly valiantly to the defense! If you can provide him with some meatshields allies that would be nice. :D

Also have him focus a bit more on training if he survives if you aren't already.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:39:46 pm by bluescreen1988 »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 03:48:04 pm »

Bluescreen rushes valiantly towards the gates upon hearing the fell cries of the enraged giant. Alas, when he gets there he is too late.

The giant lies imprisoned in a cage trap.

That being said, new poll is up. (3 votes for Deon's tavern, 3 for Garrison, 3 for upgrade guilds, 1 for workout bench (need 1 more lead bar))

Progress on the guilds continues. I'm almost fully upgraded with the mason guild and merchant guild. The Engineers guild is in progress and I've got the building in place for the Glassmakers guild but haven't started licensing. I forgot how expensive the permitting process and upgrade process is for each guild. But I'm working on it. Deon's tavern is built. No garrison yet, but I've got plans for it.

I purchased a turret from the dwarves. Not sure how to use them and set them up yet, but that is in the works.

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 06:40:01 pm »

Opening post modified with uploaded save file and embark region details.

Thank you. I hope I'm not too much of a slave driver with all my requests. Anyway, checking those out...

Shadow, we are just south and bordering the Brutal Wastes, which is a sand desert. That is probably why we have sand here. The grassland is compacted peat and sand. Mostly sand. The coast is the ocean biome, which, despite the abundance of sand on the land, is mostly composed of shale and shale pebbles.
Region information:

Holy crap. That is an awesome surrounding area. I'll start with our embark area. Apparently, we live in a hot grasslands named The Great Steppes. We live in wilderness so it's average danger. We have shallow clay, very deep soil, deep and shallow metals, and an aquifer. Out if curiosity, do we know if the aquifer is freshwater or saltwater? I assume the river is tropical freshwater? It was mentioned we have both freshwater and freshwater in our embark area, and the ocean would be saltwater. Speaking of ocean, the ocean biome is more or less what I expected. A tropical ocean. The "Ocean of Skunks" is a bizarre name. I wonder if it smells? It is Untamed Wilds, which means it is a savage area. We probably have some especially dangerous creatures there, as well as some giant things we might be able to catch. Interestingly, the ocean has both deep and shallow metals. So the ocean also has resources.

The Brutal Wastes is especially interesting to me. This desert has black sand instead of the white sand we seem to have in our biome. So it is hard to tell if our sand really came from proximity to the desert or just the ocean. It does not surprise me that it is haunted. Based on a lot of the likes an dislikes I saw from the bios of my family, I figured an evil biome of some sort was nearby. I guess it is the desert. I'm glad it wasn't the ocean. Interestingly enough, it is a desert with an aquifer. If it is freshwater, then it might be a little more hospitable. But if it was saltwater due to the proximity of the ocean, then it would be really rough early on. Like all the other biomes near us, it seems to have deep and shallow metals.

The one thing I want to clear up is do we have any portion of the Brutal Wastes in our embark area? Or did we leave it out? And if we left it out, is it because the river delta was too far away (despite bordering the desert) or is it because you chose to leave it out? It looks like we left it out, but with all the black on the map I can't tell for 100% certain if maybe a southern end of the sand from the desert might be poking in our embark area? That would be enough for me, but it is likely wishful thinking. I had originally asked that a desert be included if possible, and considering we are bordering one I would hate to think we missed out on it if distance from the river wasn't an issue. But due to it being haunted, I could understand why you might not want to include it. It's hard or me to justify due to their being no actual benefit from it, but if possible, I would like to find a way to get black sand from there at some point in the distant future, whether there is any of it in the embark area or not. (I'm assuming not?) This would not be anything done soon. It is more something to try in the distant future.

Also, character updates and pay day. I will get to work on recent requests, including glass, gemcutting, mason guild details and whatnot.
Shadow of Fate:

Account balance:

Still in the gold lead. Apparently, I'm raking in the dough.

Progress on the guilds continues. I'm almost fully upgraded with the mason guild and merchant guild. The Engineers guild is in progress and I've got the building in place for the Glassmakers guild but haven't started licensing. I forgot how expensive the permitting process and upgrade process is for each guild. But I'm working on it. Deon's tavern is built. No garrison yet, but I've got plans for it.

Good to hear that is coming along. Due to all our fishing opportunities in the area, it might be a good idea to eventually build a fishing guild if we don't have one. I also need something to occupy my kids, particularly my problem child Zanger (rhymes with ANGER) Iroana. You did say they all liked fishing. And if we don't have a farmer's guild, I know my youngest daughter Mos Jestrituco needs her daycare. And in a more practical sense, she's already a member so I don't think you would have to pay for her to be a part of it. I want to be clear that these are not priorities for me. Finish what you are doing first and the guilds you are working on like engineering guild and the glassmaker guild are more important. But at some point down the road when you are finished with that and have more money to spend on guilds, these guilds would be good to add.

The giant lies imprisoned in a cage trap.

That being said, new poll is up. (3 votes for Deon's tavern, 3 for Garrison, 3 for upgrade guilds, 1 for workout bench (need 1 more lead bar))

The answer is obviously the bottom one. Do nothing for now. We can't just release it. We must wait until the time is right!

You see, it's really quite straightforward. The only real solid course of action to take here is to wait until we get our first major siege, and THEN release the giant out of our gates so that the two forces clash. After that, we can send in Bluescreen to clean up the mess of whatever is left. At least, that is what I am pulling for.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 01:20:49 pm »

Journal of Innu Agruthunni, year 54

Ah, another quiet productive year here. Our population continues to well and we now have nearly ninety people living here. It that light we have been promoted to a county, and as such I have ensured that our accomodations are upgraded. Our basic living quarters are still quite primitive, however, my house is not complete, and the vast majority of the people wind up sleeping in the crude dormitory against the seawall. I shall have to rectify that in the near future. The south-west corner of the city shall be designated as residential quarters. The south-east shall be food production and temple. The eastern entrance has our Depot, the new city Garrison and merchant stalls as well as a workshop, temporarily empty.

We even had an enterprising bartender, Deon, establish a fine tavern over the river overlooking the estuary. A fine place for adventurers to congregate and I've occasionally heard music that I found quite envigorating.

The North-east quadrant has been devoted to the guildhalls. The Masons guild is fully established, much to the joy of my dear wife. She, herself, has studied archaeology for a number of years and has a significant interest in this area. It was, after all, at her insistence that we settle here. Something about potential ruins buried underground by a cataclysmic storm before recorded history.

The Engineers guild is fully established, and the Merchant guild nearly so. At the request of both Shadow and Imeka, for different reasons, I have prioritized the Jewlers guild and it too is nearly fully established so that they can do both glassworks and gemworks. Shadow requested permission to found our glassworks industry, and, of course, I granted her permission. The first few items were green glass boxes and pots. Not particularly stunning, but she has been away from the trade for some time. I have re-allocated some of our youngsters to the bone and shell carving trades to compensate for her absence. It will be some time before they are up to her par, but everyone has to start somewhere. I have also requested materials for clear glass from the caravans.

Trade goes excellently, though we do suffer somewhat from a one-sided export industry. I am working on diversifying. Fish and shell goods will only go so far. Glass will help. And our mining operation shows promise as well.

In that vein, our animal trainer has been quite helpful. We've captured both lions and leopards and have begun training them. The pit vipers we have caught were intractible and the Golden eagle, though a magnificent specimen, have proven unsuitable for higher level training for now. A new generation of lions and leopards have been born and the kits are fun to play with.

It is disconcerting that we have had a number of thieves begin to infiltrate our city. We have caught goblins, orcs, corsairs, drow and kobolds now. And two of our children that were playing outside the walls are missing, presumed dead or stolen.

The caged giant we shall keep as such for now. It has been deemed too dangerous to release in any fashion. Perhaps I shall have to entice some heroes to migrate here in the near future.

Ah well, back to overseeing construction projects and checking inventories.

((Shadow, there was no portion of the Wastes that were included in our embark. Initial poll requested good, not evil biome, so it was excluded. That and it was too far from the estuary region of both river and ocean. With all the water features I didn't want a large embark area to prevent FPS death. I will see if I can import black sand from the caravans. I've had trade liasons from the humans, dwarves and this year, the gnomes.

Imeka, please choose your guild of choice, Masons or Jewelers for your minion. You already received a guild bonus for pay since I assumed you are technically a guild member already. And guilds do negotiate higher wages for members.

Bluescreen, not really any combat action for you but you are now officially a guard and member of the melee guild. Your combat skill learning rate will be increased, and you will draw higher military pay.

Meph, I have been importing specialty woods with the caravans for you to play with. Once the carpenters guild is established I will provide you free membership. It's on my list of guilds to make, along with Cooks, Tanners, Farmers and Smiths.

New round of income provided. I will try to update the skills and personality pages today or tomorrow.))
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13