Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simultaneous movement helping attacks?  (Read 1178 times)

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Simultaneous movement helping attacks?
« on: August 23, 2014, 12:30:20 am »

Hi there, so been messing around with the new adventure mode (the tracking is nice, and the new spotting system... I havent really figured sneaking out yet)

But I've been having some issues with combat.

Started off a human adventurer, gave myself a few levels in strenght, agility, spatial sense. Sword, shield, armor, observer, and fighter.
Spent the first couple ingame days drowning myself till i learned to swim, then knapped some rocks (bringing ~10 masterfully knapped ones around for ranged weapon) ran around and killed off some woodland critters, and got some armor from a fort.

So I get ambushed by a goblin somewhere in the second ingame week. Try to fight him, not a single attack ever lands.
Even the "simple hit/direct" attacks constantly missed. Tried messing around with precise attacks, the fast attacks. But to no avail. So I ran the hell away.

Later on I got attacked by the boogeymen. These I also couldn't hit to save my life (and actually I died about 8 times trying, but wel I was mad and wanted to figure stuff out).
So to mitigate damage I was taking, I started ordering a simultaneous attack/dodge (usually just far enough away to make sure I was only engaging 1 enemy at a time) suddenly I went from about a 5% hit rate, to a 50% hitrate by doing this.

Has anyone else witnessed anything like this, cause later on trying another adventurer (hacked stats to max and gave 10 in weapon/fighter) though I was landing shots a little more often regularly, I still saw a notable increase in hits when dodging away in the same movement.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simultaneous movement helping attacks?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 03:08:50 pm »

Maybe you dodged into a flanking position of some sort? Creatures actually face a direction now, so that kind of thing can be quite significant.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 03:45:36 pm »

Any way to know what direction a creature is facing?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 05:56:57 pm »

Only way I know of is entering stealth mode... It's a bit clunky, but I think toggling stealth is instantaneos, so it shouldn't get you killed.

newsamsam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 08:40:06 pm »

I've notice when I score a hit it said “you hit enemy from behind”or aside.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 07:12:05 pm »

Also, consider throwing wrestling into the mix. It's hard to dance away from your stabbage when you've got the sucker by the throat! (but this can work against you of course!)

One of my favorite things to do (if I've got the speed) is to do a take-down followed by a fun throat slashing. Usually it's then a matter of keeping my distance until the inevitable occurs.
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!