Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Moving to Washington!  (Read 4138 times)

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to Canada?
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 07:04:27 am »

Sneak across the border... Higher an eskimo to get you past the canadian border patrol. Bring thermal underwear.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 07:48:48 am »

Oh, white western english is also britain, ireland, australia and new zealand. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 12:07:12 pm »

I doubt SalmonGod is at all racist, but coming from Fucking Indiana to Canada could be a bit of a culture shock, just thought I'd bring it up.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 07:41:50 pm »

I don't think I'd have too much trouble with culture shock.

We're definitely set on Seattle area at this point, anyway.  We have two potential roommates (one preferred but the other more likely) to help out with cost of living, I've found viable work in the area without much effort, we know a couple people there who work at a game studio, and another whose job is helping other people find jobs.  After having more time to study the financial aspect, we wouldn't be able to afford the leap to Canada now anyway.

I'd still like to get out of the U.S. someday, because many of my gripes with this country are present in all states... but the opportunity, natural features, and culture there should still make a huge difference compared to Indiana, and distance won't be much obstacle if (after plenty of visiting) I still decide that I want to move up to B.C.

Really excited right now, and hoping to get this all settled within the next three months. 

The sooner, the better.  Getting away from Fedex was really, really good for me, but I'm getting fed up with where I'm working right now.  There are some really exploitive behaviors from management, and some issues that are turning the environment really tense and hostile right now... one of my co-workers recently made two mistakes totaling $4 million in penalties and it's not a happy place to be.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Aeax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2014, 07:16:09 am »

Moving to BC

Come on to British Columbia if you're willing to pay the sunshine tax!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to Washington!
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2014, 12:32:58 am »

Bewarned that rent in/near Seattle is awfully high. Also, don't go to Renton or Monroe if you can help it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2014, 01:54:35 am »

Yarr... it's at least 50% more than rent in the Indianapolis suburbs.  But I should be able to get more pay to offset that, and we're trying to get a roommate as well.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2014, 12:22:21 pm »

Oh sweet, Washington is a pretty cool state. Good luck with the move! Take it from an Olympian, the rain isn't half as bad as people say. It just rains when normally it should snow.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2014, 03:19:13 pm »

It could rain every day and I would be happy.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2014, 08:27:12 pm »

I moved to Washington a little over a year ago. It's a good place.

Of course, I have to live in a house with six other people to afford rent (I live in Bellevue, right outside Seattle), but other than that it's an awesome place to live.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.
Pages: 1 2 [3]