Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Store stuff ready to trade at Trade Depot  (Read 2202 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Store stuff ready to trade at Trade Depot
« on: August 23, 2014, 02:36:28 am »

Merchants arrive. There is a sudden rush to (g)et everything to the depot in time to actually trade it. Merchants leave before you get rid of half your junk.

Is this a familiar tale to you? Then here's my simple suggestion: Allow stuff to be moved to the Trade Depot stores and marked to trade even when merchants are not there!

1. Items on their way to, or in, the Trade Depot will be 'pending' or 'trading' and not available for starving dwarves to eat. If you change your mind you can cancel the trade status from the Trade Depot (g) menu, or just destroy the Trade Depot to get everything thrown out at once.

2. If this sounds too overpowered, there could be a 'maximum storage capacity' (by weight) for the Trade Depot.

3. If, for example, food items rot in the Trade Depot or on the way there they will automatically be removed from 'trading' or 'pending' status.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Store stuff ready to trade at Trade Depot
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 05:34:49 am »

Personally, I quite like the sound of that idea.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 06:48:45 am »

You can always get everything in there if you put it in bins. 20 bins of junk are more than enough to buy everything in the caravan. I only have this problem once or twice in each embark before I've had time to make bins

You could always have a setting on the depot like a stockpile and order all the useless crap onto it. But I think in the future there will be a use for crafts

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 08:57:17 am »

I dislike using bins to store trade goods - it doesn't seem possible to trade individual items from inside them.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 01:24:22 pm »

It is, they show up in the trade screen. You can select either the whole bin or each individual item

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 08:44:16 am »

This *clearly* makes sense, no reason not to do it that I can think of.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 09:16:33 am »

[EDIT] Nevermind. Pretend this post has been deleted. :P
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:21:36 am by ptb_ptb »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 12:14:08 pm »

100x this. I don't see any reason for my 500 rock mugs to get hauled to the depot, only for me to trade 5 away because all the caravan had was some iron bars or something, and then have the 495 remaining mugs hauled back individually.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 11:05:31 pm »

I suppor this.  It makes me wonder why we aren't allowed to put things there at any time in the first place?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 11:36:31 pm »

You already can store items at the Trade Depot, all you have to do is (d)ump them there or (f)orbid them after they've been moved to the depot for trading once. At that point, one or two dwarves dedicated to "Trade Goods Hauling" and nothing else should take care of it all in short order. :)

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 01:02:21 am »

yeah while there are ways to work around it it really needs to be possible to do it without workarounds
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 06:28:28 am »

Yes please!  Even though this thread is old, I was going to make a suggestion about it.

Sometimes my stockpiles get inundated with crafts!
Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 09:23:36 am »

I still can't see what everyone's problem with bins is. If you have a stockpile for stuff with bins, you can buy out the entire caravan with a few bins. Each bin has a few dozen crafts, hauled as 1 item and when you're trading you can choose each craft, not the whole bin.

I've taken to selling prepared food barrels as is often suggested in these forums and they're even more valuable so that 4 or 5 barrels are worth more than the entire caravan.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 03:21:35 pm »

For "crafts" that serve no purpose other than trading, I already set up a stockpile right next to the depot.  That way, the "trade goods" are just a few tiles away when the caravan shows up.  You'd have to get a lot more micro-managey for other items.  Its not so bad for junk furniture and weapons, as you can set quality levels on stockpiles to only accept qualities below masterwork (ie "junk").  You can also make a small prepared food-only stockpile that takes in 4 or 5 barrels of food.

Now, the OP's suggestion would be preferred as I see no reason we can't haul to depot any time we good and God damn well please.  My suggestion is a nice work-around for the current set-up, though.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 03:46:28 pm »

That got me thinking that maybe the reason you can't store stuff at the depot right now is because then you'd be able to use it as a quantum stockpile. You can already do it, it's just not practical.
Pages: [1] 2