Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Quinnspiracy Scandal  (Read 16226 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quinnspiracy Scandal
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 01:03:03 pm »

The more I hear about this, the more it sounds like petty attempts at 'slut shaming' with an undercurrent of 'women aren't allowed to want sex.' What? She cheated on her boyfriend? She had sex with several people? The nerve of her! Whatever is she doing outside of her man's kitchen! It all very much smacks of a lowest common denominator smear campaign.
I really reccomend reading her boyfriend's blogpost on the topic. It's enlightening.
His main complaint about the cheating scandal was that
she maintained [infidelity] is inherently wrong even if the person who was cheated on never finds out, because (aside from willfully endangering their partner by way of increased STD risk) if the unfaithful party then has sex with their partner, they are doing so under false pretenses, and therefore without their partner’s consent. That is, sex with a partner who doesn’t know you’ve cheated on them is sex without consent.
and then had
unprotected sex with me like 12 freaking hours after cheating on me with her boss.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 01:11:02 pm »

The more I hear about this, the more it sounds like petty attempts at 'slut shaming' with an undercurrent of 'women aren't allowed to want sex.' What? She cheated on her boyfriend? She had sex with several people? The nerve of her! Whatever is she doing outside of her man's kitchen! It all very much smacks of a lowest common denominator smear campaign.

Not the fact that the people she had sex with did not delineate between a personal and professional life, and that those people did not give any sort of disclosure on this fact?

I'm angrier at the journalists and their sites, more than anything else. I can't be angry at a person for using whatever they can in life to claw their way to the top, but a breach of what little journalistic ethical integrity they had on this level is disgraceful.
As someone in the game industry: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
but no seriously "journalistic integrity" BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHAHAH
dude, that shit doesn't exist in games journalism; never has, never will. Game reviewers get free games, early access, and swag from developers, so they always have been and always will be paid by the developers in that way. And above all else, they're fans. They are predisposed to like video games. Trying to hold up "journalistic integrity" as a point here is ridiculous in the extreme. This is an industry where, just last month there was the paid youtubers thing where youtubers were getting massive sums of money and revenue shares to review a game. Having sex with people is not how you pay off journalists, and so the entire fact that it is a talking point here reveals the entire thing to be precisely the sort of disingenuous smear campaign I pointed it to be. I know people at Microsoft having sexual relations with people at Google; that doesn't mean I'm going to go out and file an antitrust lawsuit. Having sex is just what people do.

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 01:13:34 pm »

As someone in the game industry: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
but no seriously "journalistic integrity" BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAAHAHAH
dude, that shit doesn't exist in games journalism; never has, never will. Game reviewers get free games, early access, and swag from developers, so they always have been and always will be paid by the developers in that way. And above all else, they're fans. They are predisposed to like video games. Trying to hold up "journalistic integrity" as a point here is ridiculous in the extreme. This is an industry where, just last month there was the paid youtubers thing where youtubers were getting massive sums of money and revenue shares to review a game. Having sex with people is not how you pay off journalists, and so the entire fact that it is a talking point here reveals the entire thing to be precisely the sort of disingenuous smear campaign I pointed it to be. I know people at Microsoft having sexual relations with people at Google; that doesn't mean I'm going to go out and file an antitrust lawsuit. Having sex is just what people do.

I Love Bacon

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 01:15:08 pm »

This thread is already going places.
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 01:17:17 pm »

I sense imminent entertainment. Time to start rubbernecking.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 01:22:46 pm »

I don't understand how people can't want to improve the world, and are instead happy dealing with it as it is.
I Love Bacon

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 01:24:59 pm »

Having sex with people is not how you pay off journalists, and so the entire fact that it is a talking point here reveals the entire thing to be precisely the sort of disingenuous smear campaign I pointed it to be. I know people at Microsoft having sexual relations with people at Google; that doesn't mean I'm going to go out and file an antitrust lawsuit. Having sex is just what people do.

This part of the accusations is also the part that many find inherently misogynistic. A woman's sexual relations are immediately thought to be some kind of social status exchange instead of wanting sex for sex's sake, and the same accusations of using sex for advancement don't seem to be directed at the reporters. I'd already gone over the only examples of "positive reviews" this relation seems to have produced in the previous thread, and it hardly seems a major scoop in terms of journalistic integrity.

What she did was pretty unfair to her partner but it's not news... it's parading of somebody's personal life in an event that has absolutely no broader social implications. That's distasteful even in the realm of politics where people might conceivably make their voting decisions based on a person's character.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 01:31:19 pm »

This part of the accusations is also the part that many find inherently misogynistic. A woman's sexual relations are immediately thought to be some kind of social status exchange instead of wanting sex for sex's sake, and the same accusations of using sex for advancement don't seem to be directed at the reporters. I'd already gone over the only examples of "positive reviews" this relation seems to have produced in the previous thread, and it hardly seems a major scoop in terms of journalistic integrity.

What she did was pretty unfair to her partner but it's not news... it's parading of somebody's personal life in an event that has absolutely no broader social implications. That's distasteful even in the realm of politics where people might conceivably make their voting decisions based on a person's character.

I just want to cut this up.

the same accusations of using sex for advancement don't seem to be directed at the reporters.

Yes, they are. In terms of Nathan Grayson getting his clickbait scoop, at the very least. In a certain video that I don't want to link because it is relatively sensationalist, Nathan Grayson is attacked as much as Zoe Quinn is.

I'd already gone over the only examples of "positive reviews" this relation seems to have produced in the previous thread, and it hardly seems a major scoop in terms of journalistic integrity.

Please read the final paragraph in my spoiler in the first post. There are accusations that she has used her influence to shut down an inclusive game jam simply because it would compete with her own game jam.

The real scoop is a combination of the media blackout about this information (when similar in the past was paraded across gaming sites), the accusation that she tried to shut down a game jam with her influence and the simple reality that people are heavily disillusioned with the gaming press.

EDIT: Also, 4chan has donated over $5k to an inclusive game jam, and this is getting no press either.
I Love Bacon

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 01:57:07 pm »

Can't we all agree that gaming 'media' was and always has been a joke?

I remember the whole gamespot that guy for the bad review of Kane and Lynch
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 02:06:41 pm »

* LordSlowpoke waves

hi guys

* LordSlowpoke pulls up chair

watching to post

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 02:07:41 pm »

*waves to LSP.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 02:17:52 pm »

the same accusations of using sex for advancement don't seem to be directed at the reporters.

Yes, they are. In terms of Nathan Grayson getting his clickbait scoop, at the very least. In a certain video that I don't want to link because it is relatively sensationalist, Nathan Grayson is attacked as much as Zoe Quinn is.

I said that he doesn't seem to be being attacked as using the sex itself for advancement and this doesn't serve as a rebuttal to anything I said.

I'd already gone over the only examples of "positive reviews" this relation seems to have produced in the previous thread, and it hardly seems a major scoop in terms of journalistic integrity.

Please read the final paragraph in my spoiler in the first post. There are accusations that she has used her influence to shut down an inclusive game jam simply because it would compete with her own game jam.

After reading this account of GAME_JAM I have little regard for your claims. What they did was pretty shitty and it looks to me far more like she wanted to try and do the idea right rather than the event being some kind of bizarre manipulation to obtain all teh glorehs.

The real scoop is a combination of the media blackout about this information (when similar in the past was paraded across gaming sites), the accusation that she tried to shut down a game jam with her influence and the simple reality that people are heavily disillusioned with the gaming press.

I highly doubt that the "blackout" is due to anything besides the way these campaigners have conducted themselves as well as the nature of the intrusion itself. I think the worst thing I saw was a Reddit moderator going overboard when it came to their job. Not everything is a conspiracy... especially if the amount of control she'd actually need to pull it off is ridiculous. She's an indie dev with an audience, not a mastermind. Yeah, I know you guys think that you're being the epitome of neutrality and all, but tbh the kind of intensity you're pursuing this with is terrifying and I'm not surprised that even moderators on 4chan would start shutting these threads down.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 02:19:17 pm »

hey tamer, nice to see you here

* LordSlowpoke whips out packet of peanuts

did we ever figure out what is the deal with airline food

* LordSlowpoke struggles to open packet

first page's hella negative too

* LordSlowpoke stabs packet with switchblade

but yeah i'm probably just going to sit here a-

* LordSlowpoke rips the packet open, sending peanuts flying off in arks

well that happened

i'm going to chill here watching and seeing if people still don't care bout the wizards

might not be part of them but still that's the group i have sympathy towards

the spirits only know how rare that occurrence is, i stopped keeping score

so how are you this fine day

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 02:21:34 pm »

* LordSlowpoke rips the packet open, sending peanuts flying off in arks
Thousands of years later, the colonies of sentient peanuts spread throughout the galaxy still paid homage to their creator-figure, known to them as LSP or L-rdSl-wp-k.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9