Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Make mining velocity depends on rock type  (Read 2550 times)

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make mining velocity depends on rock type
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2014, 02:58:04 am »

You could mine through granite using nothing but wood, matches and a bucket. Oh, and slave labor. You'll need a lot of that.

I don't think it is necessary to go to such great lengths simulating the digging speed of various rocks. Simply add [DIGSPEED:X] to the raws. However if I had to pick an individual material stat, it would be one of the fractures. Work dwarf strength, skill, fatigue and tool in to determine the time needed.

Am I the only one who thinks dwarves should break a sweat and suffer fatigue from mining?

MightyEvilPunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make mining velocity depends on rock type
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2014, 08:07:18 am »

If you're giving rock walls real material properties, doesn't it make sense to use the same opportunity to make picks and while you're at it, axes, not be able to work on materials that are harder than them?
No because mining doesn't require having harder tools in real life. If it did, we would be screwed as dwarves, since the huge majority of rock species in the earth's crust (e.g. biggest contributors like rhyolite, granite, schist, gneiss) are harder than steel picks.

While I generally agree with, you, I must say, that harder pick delivers energy more efficiently, than softer one due to smaller pick deformation energy loss. Surely, that does not mean, that you cannot dig hard rock with copper or even deer horn pick. Or chop tree with stone axe. This is just a question of amount of energy, you will have to spend.

On another hand, pick, that is harder, than granite for example will totally suck, because it will not turn received energy into plastic deformation, and will crush into shards very quickly.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:14:23 am by MightyEvilPunk »
Pages: 1 2 [3]