Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: AmeriPols Thread: Supreme Court of the United States  (Read 1661 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPols Thread: Supreme Court of the United States
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2022, 09:29:27 pm »

Welp, some insights into potential future Supreme Court decisions: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=180305.msg8407149#msg8407149

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2023, 03:47:46 pm »

Ethics violations on the Supreme Court across ideology.

https://thehill.com/homenews/4091544-liberal-justices-caught-up-in-supreme-court-ethics-scrutiny/amp/

I suspect we're only at the beginning of this, since finally reporters are deciding to investigate this. It's not exactly new.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2023, 05:53:38 am »

Ethics violations on the Supreme Court across ideology.

https://thehill.com/homenews/4091544-liberal-justices-caught-up-in-supreme-court-ethics-scrutiny/amp/

I suspect we're only at the beginning of this, since finally reporters are deciding to investigate this. It's not exactly new.
Damn. And here when I attended a study meeting with loads of research teams from across Europe the entire UK delegation got kicked out because the UK legal department determined the host hotel was too good for us D;

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2023, 12:41:39 pm »

I do like how legacy admissions showcase how society rewards those it is designed to reward, and not reward those based on merit. E.g. it makes financial sense for a top-tier University to admit a mediocre scion of a billionaire because their success is assured no matter how incompetent they are, whereas a top-tier academic student could struggle to ever pierce the heights of averageness no matter how hard they work. Though it is peculiar to see how the same people who say affirmative action is racist defend legacy admission, which was itself designed to "protect" WASP places from Asians, Hispanics, Catholics and Jews

I knew a guy who went to a top tier American university despite failing to get GCSEs; his father funded the building of a new lab, new student accoms and a library expansion. We all joked he must've really sucked if they needed 3 buildings to fit him in

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2023, 10:41:58 pm »

It makes total sense if you understand laws exist to help the Rich oppress the Poor.
That's not true. The law in its fairness forbids both the rich and poor from begging on trains
That quote came from some rich fuck.  Because poor people benefit more from begging on trains than rich people, and because rich people can beg at dinner parties that poor people can not afford to attend.
It's sort of the point of the original quote:

"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread"
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 [2]