Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 292

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 367717 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2160 on: September 02, 2017, 12:46:56 pm »

I agree, Arx. Even the thread title title is biased and most of the posters here have negative opinions on police. It's not much of a discussion thread.

Admittedly that's because its a thread to talk about incidents of abusive policing, not a General Law Enforcement Discussion thread.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: September 02, 2017, 12:49:34 pm »

I agree, Arx. Even the thread title title is biased and most of the posters here have negative opinions on police. It's not much of a discussion thread.

Admittedly that's because its a thread to talk about incidents of abusive policing, not a General Law Enforcement Discussion thread.

Yeah, general discussion about law enforcement as it pertains to the US tends to happen in the AmeriPol thread.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: September 02, 2017, 02:14:04 pm »

That "we only shoot black people" thing isn't so bad - it's an immature and frankly retarded joke meant to calm down that woman who seemed to be fearing for her life. It wasn't hateful, it was a sarcastic quip the cop didn't think through snarking about the portrayal of the police in media - seemingly correctly.

But.... IT WORKED.  The woman accepted that rational and began cooperating, or at least that's the impression I got from the video.

Think about the implications of that.

Politics on Bay12 stopped being anything resembling an open, friendly environment a long time ago.

Maybe you have a point on this thread.  I think it's because the evidence regarding police behavior is so overwhelming that anyone who chooses to disagree opens the floodgates to people sharing that evidence.  So I don't know if I'd call it wrong, but I'd be willing to call you technically correct, on this specific thread.

But... elsewhere?  Ameripol Thread?  Other specific issue political threads?  We've had extensive debate about feminist issues that wasn't one-sided.  Ameripol has been broiling for weeks with debate equating behaviors of "the left" as a vaguely defined but unified group to the behaviors of actual nazis, and it wasn't one-sided.  Neonivek and Playergamer led the charge, but plenty of others have chimed in to their support.  After that, I don't think the claim that Bay12 is wholly dominated by leftism to be valid anymore.

And while debate gets heated in some fashions, I wouldn't say it's not open or unfriendly.  I don't see many personal attacks.  What I do see is quite tame.  Someone might get dogpiled once in a while, but presenting an unpopular idea to a large group of people and then having a large number of people from that group respond negatively to it isn't by itself an unfriendly thing.  It just means a lot of people coincidentally read that post and felt like responding with a counter.  It's not like there's some secret organization behind the scenes coordinating to make people feel overwhelmed.

Seriously, Bay12 is still BY FAR the most civil place for discussions like this on the internet.  If you know of any other that's better, I'd be interested in seeing that.

As for Neonivek - I'm not exactly happy that he got banned the way he did.  I was frustrated with him, but I didn't report him and didn't intend for that discussion to end that way.  We had just started taking it to PM when it happened.  Regardless, that didn't happen to him because of his political views.  It's because his style of engagement in discussion was really close to serious trolling.  I would have labeled him an actual troll long, long ago, except it didn't seem like it was intentional on his part.  It seemed more like he was just a really confused person.  Like he legitimately couldn't keep his thoughts straight enough to coherently back up his outrageous statements, or maintain any consistency to his narrative.  Based on benefit of the doubt, I feel sorry for the guy.  On the other hand, I can't help but wonder if he actually was a troll who built up that character to get away with it.  People do shit like that.  Either way, I can't disagree with Toady that his effect on serious forum discussions was horribly disruptive and negativity-inducing.  So whether it sits right with me or not, I can't exactly fault him for the ban decision.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: September 02, 2017, 09:43:58 pm »

I thought that we were still annoyed about Retro.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: September 02, 2017, 09:49:48 pm »

... what's retro in this context?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: September 03, 2017, 08:54:34 am »

That "we only shoot black people" thing isn't so bad - it's an immature and frankly retarded joke meant to calm down that woman who seemed to be fearing for her life. It wasn't hateful, it was a sarcastic quip the cop didn't think through snarking about the portrayal of the police in media - seemingly correctly.

But.... IT WORKED.  The woman accepted that rational and began cooperating, or at least that's the impression I got from the video.

Think about the implications of that.
Indeed. My point was that event that what the cop said was rude, it was effective and it was silly to fire him over something that small. It goes to show what the pleb common man thinks of the police and of how they operate.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: September 03, 2017, 09:01:26 am »

He should recant.

"I misspoke! I meant to say we only shoot FAT people!"
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: September 03, 2017, 09:42:36 am »

They fired the guy? The way I imagine the delivery it was pretty good as self-deprecating humor goes.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: September 03, 2017, 10:02:02 am »

Hey, there's video. You can hear it yourself. Delivery wasn't very good... sounded less like humor and more like exasperation, really. Also is georgia. Pretty understandable why his bosses would be just a wee bit sketchy of keeping around someone caught making statements like that on the clock. Poor PR in an area with pretty good cause to be sensitive about that kind of thing.

Can't really tell if he was fired, though. Seems like every news thing I looked at getting to said video alternated between saying he was fired or retired. The recommendation was firing, but whether it actually happened I couldn't tell with what looking I did.

Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: September 03, 2017, 10:05:27 am »

Yeah, I've seen some saying that he was fired, retired, and fired with 'retired' as an euphenism.

Still, given the whole problems with discrimination, the optics of what he said to a white woman are pretty horrible.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: September 03, 2017, 12:43:24 pm »

*shrug* Felt like the cop version of a Gulag joke, to me. "Oh, yeah, sure, we *only* kill Black people. You're safe. :V" compared to "Oh, yeah, all leftists want to send people to the Gulag, uh-huh! Hundred years Gulag for you!" being the impetus behind that joke and gulag jokes respectively. :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: September 03, 2017, 05:01:31 pm »

I just wish we had a thread celebrating one place actually do things correctly, since that hardly gets anywhere near as much attention as when they fuck up :-c

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: September 03, 2017, 09:36:12 pm »

I just wish we had a thread celebrating one place actually do things correctly, since that hardly gets anywhere near as much attention as when they fuck up :-c
Considering it... doing it correctly should happen most of the time.  Its usually nothing to write home about.

Cops do have the benefit of doubt on their side.  People trust they will do the right thing.  It also means they should be held to a higher standard. 
And here we are seeing that trust being abused, by individuals.  And more often then not, they are not getting what should be coming to them.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2173 on: September 07, 2017, 01:32:30 am »

(removed derail, deleted one legit post by accident)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: December 07, 2017, 09:46:19 pm »

Chicago police caught on video high-fiving, joking about desk duty after shooting a n*****, talking about turning their body cameras off, and stomping on the dead body of Paul ONeal.

But because this was the aftermath of a car chase, I don't think police will have any trouble avoiding repercussions for this one.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 292