Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 292

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 363870 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2430 on: May 07, 2018, 02:02:35 am »

The thing that gets me about mentalities like that is how they think their hypothetical scenario is an improvement on anything.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: May 07, 2018, 02:27:33 am »

Everything is ideal in everyone's ideal world. Same goes for you, Salmon.

Now, it's been pointed out repeatedly that this discussion is off topic and that you guts should make another thread if you want to continue it, so go do that.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2432 on: May 09, 2018, 08:32:42 am »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: May 09, 2018, 08:35:44 am »

Well you don't want the really smart ones in the police force. That's how you end up with policemen running crime empires.
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: May 09, 2018, 08:49:47 am »

And seeing how IQ isn't even a reliable measure of intelligence, if it is one at all, it's not even guaranteed to lock out the dirty smarties.

Well you don't want the really smart ones in the police force. That's how you end up with policemen running crime empires.

I think what they want to screen for isn't intelligence, but greed, power complexes, and sociopathy?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: May 09, 2018, 08:52:15 am »

I think what they want to screen for isn't intelligence, but greed, power complexes, and sociopathy?

Pretty sure that's the joke. If it's standard for a cop to have those last three, adding intelligence into the mix gets you a mob boss.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: May 09, 2018, 01:12:13 pm »

Nah folks, shit like "families might be important" doesn't even ping on the scope for me.

This guy on another forum, this fucking guy, he pops off in some argument about how he knows how to fix the problems with society, but then doesn't explain for a while.

Other guy keeps pushing for this "wisdom" and finally we get:

*large societal groups don't suit the human mind
*people would do better in smaller villages of say 200~ people
*women need to do what they're made for: poop out enough people to replace the ones who die
*why would they die you ask?
*rather than having a government enforce order among villages, when they get too crowded they just go fuck another villages shit up
*"having a group of people you know and would kill or die for would give people purpose and fix everything"

Forgive me as I didn't capture the fucking awe-inspiring level of shitbrainery in his original post, but it was painful enough just sliding this far down the humanity scale.

Oh come on, that makes perfect sense. If we built a society of more than 200 people per site, we'd get atrocious lag.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: May 10, 2018, 06:08:01 am »

From the 2000s: Federal court oks barring people from joining the police force for having "too high an IQ"
Obedience instead of intelligence innit

The logical error here is that only a smart and honest person would pass that IQ test. A smart but evil person would know enough to flub it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: May 11, 2018, 03:54:19 am »

Speaking of smarties:
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-44068305

Although, I mean, walking into a dark common room at night and getting spooked by someone you didn't know was there is probably going to elicit a not-entirely-rational response... But the person had plenty of time to think it over before/while calling the cops.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2440 on: May 16, 2018, 06:30:30 pm »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/oct/22/american-troops-friendly-fire-iraq
Reminds me of the whole issue of shoot first, identify threats later, especially since the US police is modeled after its military... Painful reading, listening to the accounts of soldiers realizing they're being killed by their allies

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: May 16, 2018, 09:44:58 pm »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/oct/22/american-troops-friendly-fire-iraq
Reminds me of the whole issue of shoot first, identify threats later, especially since the US police is modeled after its military...

Beg pardon.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.184.9816&rep=rep1&type=pdf

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: May 16, 2018, 10:30:31 pm »

Reminds me of the whole issue of shoot first, identify threats later, especially since the US police is modeled after its military...

Beg pardon.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.184.9816&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Doesn’t help that the police have gotten increasingly militarized.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2443 on: May 17, 2018, 07:59:18 am »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: May 17, 2018, 11:42:18 pm »

Shazbot's article points out that saying the police are based on the military "makes the military a scapegoat for the ineptitude, structural absurdities, bad management, and outright criminality in police work that are the legacies of the politicization of the American police throughout their history." ... just to put the point the article is making in perspective.

e.g. the point of the article is "if only that was true". e.g. the police are actually more like a paramilitary goon squad in Latin America - and that article is actually written by a cop, no less. They often have access to many of the same weapons the military use (see e.g. local police who make videos about them doing donuts in the Amoured Personnel Carriers they got with Homeland security money), but they are much less transparent and riddled with much more corruption and an opaque chain of command, along with corrupt disciplinary structures. None of that means that the military are super-great, or that the police aren't "militarized" in the ways that matter, it just means they're super-not-great in a way that just comparing them to the military doesn't do justice to.

e.g. it's like disputing that Trump should be called a "liar" because it's unfair to other liars to associate them with Trump.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:57:26 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 292