Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 292

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 367869 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2445 on: May 19, 2018, 12:56:17 am »

And when I point out that our police are actually worse at policing than a military force everyone yells at me as if I'm advocating for martial law.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2446 on: May 19, 2018, 07:21:19 am »

lmao that's even worse
fuck this time

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: May 21, 2018, 02:47:48 am »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/oct/22/american-troops-friendly-fire-iraq
Reminds me of the whole issue of shoot first, identify threats later, especially since the US police is modeled after its military... Painful reading, listening to the accounts of soldiers realizing they're being killed by their allies
Reminds me of that great thing, not sure if it was posted here or not, where a drug buy was organised.

Turns out that police were on both sides, trying to catch the other selling/buying drugs. Neither realised this, and eventually it broke out into a fistfight.

I saw one case a few weeks ago where one officer shot another who was undercover in a drug sting.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2448 on: May 21, 2018, 04:24:58 pm »

Gonna need sources on that, don't they have people in internal departments to make sure that stuff doesn't happen?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: May 21, 2018, 08:17:28 pm »

In that case it was in Detroit and the guys punching it out were from different precincts. They were still all under the Detroit police department however.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/detroit-police-officers-fight-each-other-in-undercover-op-gone-wrong

Sources say it started when two special ops officers from the 12th Precinct were operating a "push off" on Andover near Seven Mile. That is when two undercover officers pretend to be dope dealers, waiting for eager customers to approach, and then arrest potential buyers and seize their vehicles.

But this time, instead of customers, special ops officers from the 11th Precinct showed up. Not realizing they were fellow officers, they ordered the other undercover officers to the ground.

FOX 2 is told the rest of the special ops team from the 12th Precinct showed up, and officers began raiding a house in the 19300 block of Andover. But instead of fighting crime, officers from both precincts began fighting with each other.

Sources say guns were drawn and punches were thrown while the homeowner stood and watched.

i.e. the first lot of undercover cops were pretending to be dealers then the other undercover cops turned up and pulled guns on the first lot. Maybe the first lot of cops assumed the second lot of cops were actually a rival gang trying to take out the competition?

... BTW, note the "seize their vehicles" bit, which is very relevant to the thread topic. e.g. if you're buying a little marijuana, then clearly the cops are justified to steal your car, after all, you're a criminal now and thus have no property rights. That's now a "drug car" that was used to transport drugs, after all.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 05:03:32 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: July 05, 2018, 02:41:33 pm »

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/07/04/police-called-after-black-man-tried-to-buy-cell-phones-at-t-mobile-after-fake-robbery-call/23474521/
Nobody died, thankfully.

My dad shared this with me yesterday, and it's pretty chilling.  The linked HuffPo video is pointless and bad, but there's a link to a Facebook post with the actual unedited video.

I can't stress how impressed I am with both the video-capturer, and the person who crawled on fingers and toes by police command.  The distraught lady Significant Other was... distraught, and they talked her down to some degree.
Relatable - with guns pointed at me, I'd probably tell certain emotional relations to please shut up and let things happen chilly.

I don't know what the reason for the crawl was.  Based on the voices it sounds like standard procedure, but... why?

Other than that, that T-mobile branch as an entity has a lot to answer for.  My most favorable interpretation, after trying to hear the last bits of conversation with the police in the Facebook video, is that the clerks called "security" because they found the two black men intimidating...  And then security seemingly reported this to the police as an active robbery.

I lean towards blaming security here, but that's based on believing the clerks.  Who did lie earlier in the video, and may have overstated things to security.

These black people did everything right, and thank *fuck* that they survived.  This was unarguably racial and I hate it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: July 07, 2018, 07:45:53 pm »

These black people did everything right, and thank *fuck* that they survived.  This was unarguably racial and I hate it.
Oh yeah, it's great they remembered their Black People Simon Says lessons. Thank god our boys in blue were there to put them through Verification, otherwise T-Mobile might have lost precious property!

In other news, El Paso cops threatening kids with guns and nightsticks.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: July 09, 2018, 03:47:39 am »

Remember, killing people is fine, so long as they may have been doing something illegal.

I wish I was making that up, but alas. I've seen people arguing for corporeal punishment for shoplifters, such as ye olde tradition of removing fingers/hands.

Part of me would quite like to sea lashing come back as punishment for some crimes TBH.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: July 09, 2018, 04:13:26 am »

welp, time to roll out the stocks
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: July 09, 2018, 06:56:08 am »

Remember, killing people is fine, so long as they may have been doing something illegal.

I wish I was making that up, but alas. I've seen people arguing for corporeal punishment for shoplifters, such as ye olde tradition of removing fingers/hands.

Part of me would quite like to sea lashing come back as punishment for some crimes TBH.

Can't we just do the civilized thing and put people in pillories and throw tomatoes at them?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: July 09, 2018, 09:57:17 am »

Why have pillories and tomatoes when you can have GIBBETS AND GIBLETS?

I actually wonder how effective humiliation is as a criminal punishment... I seem to recall there being at least a few medieval sentences primarily based around just making a mockery of the condemned.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: July 09, 2018, 10:25:07 am »

Why have pillories and tomatoes when you can have GIBBETS AND GIBLETS?

I actually wonder how effective humiliation is as a criminal punishment... I seem to recall there being at least a few medieval sentences primarily based around just making a mockery of the condemned.

If un-cited polls regarding people's fears are to be believed, then people fear public humiliation more than death, and viewed as being more (socially and professionally) crippling than dismemberment.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: July 09, 2018, 11:09:27 am »

Shoplifter? Why waste tens of thousands in judicial and prison expenses when we can just put them in a pillory in front of the Wal-Mart they lifted from. A few days, safely watched over by a Sheriff's reserve deputy, and the humiliated person moves to another zip code to flee a shame they hope to never repeat.

Tell me how this is a bad idea.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: July 09, 2018, 11:45:10 am »

Kidding aside, doing prison time for nonviolent activism is already a badge of honor.  "Stealing from the megacorp that systematically bankrupts locals" is close enough to activism that a lot of people would feel no shame.  The pillory would probably just encourage others, like consequence-free martyrdom.

Fun to think about, though, sounds like a Liberal Crime Squad feature someday.
Oh yeah, it's great they remembered their Black People Simon Says lessons. Thank god our boys in blue were there to put them through Verification, otherwise T-Mobile might have lost precious property!
I'm still wondering whether the finger-crawling is a normal procedure anywhere.  That seemed unnecessary.

But I mean, the cops were seemingly told that there was an active robbery taking place.  The victims/suspects basically got SWATted.  This is a trend people are talking about more, especially since Starbucks.  Police being called on "suspicious" black people in public.  It's fucked up.

In other news, El Paso cops threatening kids with guns and nightsticks.
What a dystopian nightmare.  A nightstick should never be unsheathed until you're ready to kill everyone nearby.  That's why Europeans don't use them anymore, relying on vampire mind control.  I'm not sure why us Americans can't just manage a dozen angry kids with purely verbal means.

Pulling the gun was a mistake though, which is why he instantly put it back.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 292