Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 292

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 367363 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2580 on: October 02, 2019, 11:33:27 pm »

To those text messages and memes.....

I've seen worse and more overt racism, honestly. That seems like garden-variety Texas racism. Love how many times "Not racist but" was thrown in there.

It's the "gosh I'm so darn tough" memes that make me lose all sympathy for her. This is what she wanted. She got it. Reap what you sow, fool.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 11:45:10 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: October 02, 2019, 11:40:39 pm »

Ahem, Texas country hick racism.

As a Texan from Dallas we herd all those morons into Fort Worth, I'm racist against old white guys who seek power, but there are damn good reasons to be prejudiced against those types.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: October 02, 2019, 11:47:30 pm »

I got a steady dose of the same Texas hick racism for a few years while doing auctions. The "When I say n***er I don't mean black people I mean n*****s, you know?" kind of racism. I hated having to sit around and make nice after they'd start that up, and they eventually took the hint and quit having those kinds of conversations directly around me, but I'd still hear them going on plenty.

Hell I still get that around here in Nebraska every once in a while.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: October 02, 2019, 11:55:21 pm »

Rural Indiana has plenty of it, too.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: October 03, 2019, 12:58:19 am »

It's the "gosh I'm so darn tough" memes that make me lose all sympathy for her. This is what she wanted. She got it. Reap what you sow, fool.

Honestly, this is more a hallmark of the Texas stereotype* than the racism as far as I've run into it. You can find racism all over the South, but Texas has always been associated with this sort of perpetual frustration that nobody else takes them seriously when they put on their cowboy cosplay and start drawling about their machismo. (It probably doesn't help that the public face of Texas in recent years has been Ted Cruz. The man presumably oozes a wide variety of things, but not toughness.)

The guns and violence worship kind of plays into that, I think, as it does for many gun nuts across the country: they need guns to shut up the people laughing at them for needing guns to stop them laughing at them, and repeat.

*Which, to be perfectly clear, is no more accurate than any other stereotype.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: October 03, 2019, 07:35:09 am »

I know I'm overposting, but I swear my empathy with "the cop" isn't because she's a cop.  It's purely on the fear of someone being in "my" home-space.

I can't say enough that she acted wrongly and I hope I'd act better.  I don't carry a firearm largely because I know I don't have enough training.  Nor did she.  I have carried a small knife for the majority of my life, just in case.  Intended to intimidate an aggressor away...  or Hel, I don't know, just not be helpless.

Guns are different, obviously.

if nothing else a cop should be held to a higher standard than this.  a cop doesnt get to kill a civilian as her first option because she felt unsafe.  she signed up to be unsafe, he didnt.  if you cant handle risking your life to preserve a civilian's, don't be a cop.

this is embedded in the culture and that makes it self-perpetuating on anyone who enters that culture, that pinterest is just a sample.  i dont see any solution to this that doesnt involve almost complete turnover of the current police force
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: October 03, 2019, 07:36:59 am »

Nice to see this ended with a sentence.

As I'm reminded of this case though I'm sitting here thinking; was it ever confirmed whether or not she had been drunk at the time? I remember thinking that that would have played a big role in answering the "how does one just go to the wrong apartment" question.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: October 03, 2019, 07:51:07 am »

It's good that it ended with a sentence even if you think she personally deserved leniency. You don't really want to set a legal precedent that "whoops wrong house" is an acceptable defense for cops killing unarmed people in their own home.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: October 03, 2019, 08:14:03 am »

It's good that it ended with a sentence even if you think she personally deserved leniency. You don't really want to set a legal precedent that "whoops wrong house" is an acceptable defense for cops killing unarmed people in their own home.
I mean, it already happens with SWAT raids - several unarmed civilians, including children have been killed due to wrong address mistakes.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: October 03, 2019, 08:32:21 am »

As I'm reminded of this case though I'm sitting here thinking; was it ever confirmed whether or not she had been drunk at the time? I remember thinking that that would have played a big role in answering the "how does one just go to the wrong apartment" question.

Knowingly, based on her body camera. I don't knock and demand to be let into my own apartment.

Also, what ever happened to him having dated another cop, and this being one of those "Throw Mama From the Train" things to make it look like a coincidence?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: October 03, 2019, 06:04:39 pm »

PTW
If the government won’t do anything about the problem, what can we, the civilians, do about it?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: October 03, 2019, 06:07:05 pm »

PTW
If the government won’t do anything about the problem, what can we, the civilians, do about it?
Carefully record cops in a way such that if they take your phone the recording persists.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: October 04, 2019, 07:57:29 am »

That's exactly why I feel so much empathy for her!  I would freak the fuck out if I saw a shadowy figure in "my" home (particularly a year or two ago when I lived alone).

Man, I'm still jittery remembering the time 3 pigs almost smashed down the door because it took me 30 seconds to get out of bed in the middle of the night. 3 guns in my face while screaming at me. Luckily they saw I'm white, or I'd be dead. They had to put the safeties back on before re-holstering, because plan A was kill whoever was there. Because the pigs had "decided" I was breaking into my own apartment (using keys, and locking the door behind me), and came back hours later.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 08:01:23 am by Iduno »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: October 06, 2019, 02:45:11 am »

Remains to be seen if it was a corrupt cop hit or not, but that is seriously fucking suspicious.

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 292