Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 292

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 367633 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #3945 on: October 01, 2020, 03:16:06 am »

Manslaughter, then?
IDK. I think police might have special protections because their duty requires them to shoot people sometimes, but I'm not sure what the limits of those protections are.

It's clear that it (and 2nd degree) can be charged in something like the George Floyd case, but I'm not sure where hitting someone in crossfire lies.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 03:29:39 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: October 01, 2020, 03:19:10 am »

I would say that since the people that were killed were completely unarmed, the search was conducted at the wrong address, and the police responded with a level of force completely uncalled for, for the execution of the warrant, that the police should be culpable for gross indifference, which is murder II territory.

Giving the police special privileges to not actually obey the law is dangerous, and needs to never be contemplated by the judicial branch.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: October 01, 2020, 03:22:03 am »

I would say that since the people that were killed were completely unarmed, the search was conducted at the wrong address, and the police responded with a level of force completely uncalled for, for the execution of the warrant, that the police should be culpable for gross indifference, which is murder II territory.

Giving the police special privileges to not actually obey the law is dangerous, and needs to never be contemplated by the judicial branch.

In the Breonna Taylor case, no. I just finished going over how it was the right address and the boyfriend was armed and fired upon the cops first. Only Breonna died (very much awake and not in her bed.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 03:25:21 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: October 01, 2020, 04:56:59 am »

Being armed and firing off one shot, even if it had been the ex-boyfriend that did it and not a completely innocent guy, does not make the response of wantonly shooting dozens of bullets into an apartment they don't have sight into called for.
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: October 01, 2020, 05:00:31 am »

Hey, so I recently decided to get a recording app for my phone.  anyone know how generally legal it is to use this for business, personal, state, or federal conversations?

it pretty faithfully records everything.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: October 01, 2020, 06:54:38 am »

Depends on the state :-\

Generally anything that happens in your house you're clear to record, at least, though sometimes you have to have some sort of clear warning if people not living there/you are involved. Outside gets more complicated and depends on state and local ordinances, and often enough isn't legal to some extent or another (especially if minors get involved somehow). Talk to a local lawyer, etc., etc., etc. You could theoretically ask the local cops, too, just framing it as wanting to catch someone you suspect might be stealing from you or whatever, but frankly they often don't actually know what the hell the law is and generally aren't legally culpable for just straight up fucking lying to you about the subject (or any subject), so, y'know. Ask a lawyer.

That said, I haven't heard of anything that actually managed to stick charges or otherwise penalize someone for recording a cop doing things on the job, especially not outside their actual, like, office or something. There's been attempts but so far as I can recall the courts have told the cops or whoever to fuck off.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: October 01, 2020, 08:38:41 am »

police/bootlicker narrative argues that the police were justified defending themselves/preventing the victim from escaping, but the victim's reaction wasn't justified.

They didn't charge Walker with shooting the police, though. Kentucky has a "stand your ground" law, so Walker is justified in shooting the cops* at the same time they're justified in shooting back.

*As long as he doesn't know they're cops.

So, uh, this is patently untrue. They *did* try and charge Walker with attempted murder and assault.

https://www.king5.com/mobile/article/news/local/kenneth-walker-charges-dismissed-breonna-taylor-case/417-3636711e-0d5f-4819-8fca-dbdbedc10882
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: October 01, 2020, 11:26:32 am »

Being armed and firing off one shot, even if it had been the ex-boyfriend that did it and not a completely innocent guy, does not make the response of wantonly shooting dozens of bullets into an apartment they don't have sight into called for.
Ultimately, that's where we disagree. I can't imagine why anyone would think being fired upon does not justify firing back.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: October 01, 2020, 11:38:02 am »

A cartridge for a cartridge makes the whole world lead-enriched?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: October 01, 2020, 11:41:22 am »

Ultimately, that's where we disagree. I can't imagine why anyone would think being fired upon does not justify firing back.

And that is why American citizens have to fear being murdered by their own police and Europeans do not.
Love, scriver~

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: October 01, 2020, 12:01:49 pm »

And that is why American citizens have to fear being murdered by their own police and Europeans do not.
Nonsense. Americans are fearless by nature.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: October 01, 2020, 12:09:19 pm »

Except when it comes to Mexicans. Or Chinese people. Or, well, any foreigners. Or the government. Or inner cities. Or...

[Yes, I realize you were joking, I just found it amusing to contemplate all the things certain Americans are afraid of.]

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: October 01, 2020, 01:17:36 pm »

Fear is a genuine, not ironic, emotion, so it will probably die out once the zoomers take charge.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: October 01, 2020, 01:25:21 pm »

Eh...mostly. The UK still likes to shoot people, but it's less common.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: October 01, 2020, 02:06:18 pm »

Eh...mostly. The UK still likes to shoot people, but it's less common.

It’s telling you have to go back 15 years to find something.

Mark Duggan is the most recent example I can think of, and that still happened almost a decade ago.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 292