Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 292

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 367672 times)

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #4275 on: August 30, 2022, 10:52:45 am »

So, Breonna Taylor's killing may have been an assassination committed as part of a conspiracy to gentrify her neighborhood. And today we learn the penalties for killing somebody under color of law.

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, ... shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if bodily injury results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.
Not here at the moment

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: August 30, 2022, 11:33:23 am »

Who is saying that it was part of a conspiracy to gentrify her neighborhood? Hadn't heard anything about that before now.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: August 30, 2022, 11:50:02 am »

Who is saying that it was part of a conspiracy to gentrify her neighborhood? Hadn't heard anything about that before now.
That I'll need to find out myself. Somebody promoted the theory in a TikTok and Reddit post.
Not here at the moment

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: August 30, 2022, 11:55:39 am »

That theory has been floating around for a while now, though from what I recall the evidence was circumstantial at best. I think there's already enough evidence of different malfeasance that I'm not inclined to believe this particular conspiracy...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: August 30, 2022, 12:06:07 pm »

Ah, it looks like the warrant preceded an announcement from the city for redevelopment, and then after the incident they bought the land and home for one dollar. This has supposedly even been brought forward by her family's lawyers.

Apparently there's also talk that the unit that killed her had been recently put together specifically to build up cases against similar individuals then conduct raids, and that a ridiculously huge percentage of those raids were in predominantly black neighborhoods.

I cobbled this quickly from various news sites that I have never heard of before, while doing stuff at work, so take with a grain of salt. This could absolutely just mean that the city was redeveloping things and also an unrelated police unit fucked up horribly.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: August 30, 2022, 01:05:54 pm »

Huh, the $1 dollar purchase does seem to be accurate (from local paper reporting, checking the deed info), and there was an uptick of purchase-and-demolish in the area at the time as part of a redevelopment plan. Still not sure there's causation, myself, more just rank opportunism.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: August 30, 2022, 02:32:23 pm »

It looks like there was some sort of conspiracy, for whatever purpose... nytimes article... and some excerpts:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It is feasible that the "ringleader" of the detectives falsified the information on behalf of someone external to the police department and received some form of kickback, or that their superiors ordered the actions, or that they falsified it to increase their number-of-cases-closed statistics, or for personal vengeance reasons. But, the moment you have a detective falsifying information, that is corruption that needs to be burned with fire.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: August 30, 2022, 03:10:09 pm »

Oh yeah, those parts were/are quite rank. I was more dubious about the particular connection with the development plan/scheme.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: August 31, 2022, 06:24:12 am »

Huh, the $1 dollar purchase does seem to be accurate (from local paper reporting, checking the deed info), and there was an uptick of purchase-and-demolish in the area at the time as part of a redevelopment plan. Still not sure there's causation, myself, more just rank opportunism.

Reminds me of car transfers between family members, where we'd exchange one dollar for the car to make the sale and transfer of ownership 'legitimate.'

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: November 12, 2022, 08:39:55 pm »

I think we have a new candidate for the most absurd abuse of power retaliatory arrest caught on camera.

Legally blind man walking home from jury duty is stopped by a deputy who supposedly thinks the navigational aid folded into his back pocket is a gun (but at no point treats him as if it was) and tells him to stop. This is in a state which allows open carry. She harasses and escalates for a minute or two, her sergeant joins in on harassing the guy, mocking his disability, and illegally demanding to see his ID. After he asks for names and badge numbers the supervisor(!!) immediately defaults to arresting him for "resisting arrest" with no other charge appended.

If there was a more open-and-shut bad arrest made in the era of bodycams I haven't heard of it. Two separate violations of his Constitutional rights, the unlawful arrest, and the instigating factor being discrimination based on a disability. This guy is going to have a field day with the lawsuits, but of course the egotistical pigs in uniform will probably just get paid vacation.

Highlight is when the guy asks the deputy "are you a tyrant?" and she immediately responds with an affirmative.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: November 12, 2022, 09:16:19 pm »

Saw on twitter earlier.  My "favorite" part is when they were about to let him go, having caressed their own egos, but he spoke up one last time and they responded by throwing him in jail for 24+ hours.  Vindictive, plain and simple.  No justice here until they pay.

Oh and worth noting that he brandished the cane at both of them and they don't even flinch, not an iota.  They knew what it was.  They knew he wasn't armed.  They just reacted poorly to his lack of deference. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 09:18:01 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: November 12, 2022, 10:32:34 pm »

Yes, when he whipped the cane out I was half-expecting him to get gunned down. She very clearly never believed it was a gun to begin with (and, again, even if it had been -- not illegal to open carry in that jurisdiction).

Bonus points for her lying on her report and claiming that she didn't realize it wasn't a gun until after he was handcuffed and arrested. Of all the silly things this implies if it weren't a bold-faced lie, the silliest is that she was about to put him in the back seat with a gun in his pocket, so far as she was aware.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: December 18, 2022, 06:12:15 am »

"Suicide by cop" is something that happens.

But the other version of "suicide by cop", where the label gets used to hide what really happened... That is because statistics are the lifeblood of where management layers meet regulatory requirements, whether your regulators are state, federal, international, or some citizen group that power was vested to.

What I am suggesting here is that "suicide by cop" is probably as misused a category for police reporting as any other category. Because, you have incidents that are clearly in a category, and you have others which can pop into another category with a nudge.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: December 18, 2022, 06:51:18 am »

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2022/12/09/bodycam-footage-shows-moment-leading-to-ax-wielding-man-being-shot-by-jacksonville-officer/

Man has a hatchet, the officer pulls out his gun and aims it at him, telling him to put the axe down. He refuses, so the officer approaches and, after a bit of back and forth, shoots him from a good 10 meters away. The guy was literally standing there with an axe in his hand arguing with the officer, not charging him or pulling his arm back to throw.

The way the officer says "Shots fired" into the radio, it's so damn obvious he's actually proud of himself for having shot him. I'm not exaggerating for effect, he sounds like he's an action hero who's just taken down a terrorist. It's not on the site, but I've seen the raw footage (which I'm not linking, you literally see a man die) and it's so infuriating.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 292