Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 292

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 366753 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2014, 07:58:20 am »

Good image is worth a lot. Ask colleges covering up sexual assaults on their campuses. Turns out this happens every time people get to sidestep the court system and oversee themselves.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2014, 08:00:31 am »

So, decentralization of justice leads to decay of society. Gotcha.
._.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2014, 06:27:02 pm »

We need an Inquisition. An Inquisition for the police.

Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2014, 10:32:14 pm »

That would just create more religious zealots, which the US needs less of.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2014, 05:02:31 am »

Another thing I'd like to point is that the reckless police violence is also a huge drain on taxpayer. in 2013, Chicago paid 80 millions in settlements, New York 150 millions, etc etc.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2014, 12:33:19 pm »

It doesn't need to literally be an Inquisition, but they need to have more authority than the police, on matters directly relating to said police.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2014, 06:08:47 pm »

It doesn't need to literally be an Inquisition, but they need to have more authority than the police, on matters directly relating to said police.
There could also be a branch charged with oversight of U.S. immigrations. They'd specialize in surprise audits and inspections, and would recruit heavily from individuals with a vested personal interest in keeping things fair and evenhanded.

Nobody expects the Hispanic Inquisition!

No apologies, it had to be done.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2014, 06:25:16 pm »

This could be accomplished by giving the various Internal Affairs departments of the nation central leadership, and making them independent of the individual force they oversee. It would also probably be necessary to do a little spring cleaning. I'm not terribly optimistic about this happening though, as the only people with the power to change the system have a lot of very strong incentives to keep it right where it is.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2014, 10:30:18 pm »

Shit still broiling in Ferguson...

Officers found wearing "I am Darren Wilson" bracelets.

And likely set fire to Michael Brown's memorial, sparking more protests.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2014, 10:44:06 pm »

There's also a pretty blatant case in Ohio where a 22-year-old black man was killed by police when carrying a BB gun, then the police get off scott free. Meanwhile white Pro-gun folks wander around carrying actual firearms and apparently haven't been shot yet.

(note: coincidence that both links are from the same site, as second was the first hit when I googled Ohio's Open Carry group. You know, the ones who hang around Starbucks with assault rifles and such)
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2014, 10:50:56 pm »

There's been a bunch of blatant cases recently.

As it has always been as far as I can remember.  I keep saying this stuff happens every single day, and the majority of it just doesn't get so much attention.  I stand by that.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2014, 11:46:15 pm »

So depressing. It's not that there's police abuses, because with a country as big as the US, even an overwhelmingly high majority of good people as police means there are still a high number of bad police. The thing that's most saddening is how little punishment the officers who do these awful things get...
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2014, 07:55:59 am »

The ones that really get me are the rash of "suspect committed suicide by gunshot while handcuffed in the back of a patrol car" incidents. There are at least three this year that I'm aware of, and to my knowledge no officers have faced any sanction.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2014, 09:56:16 am »

Dammit, police, you can't pull obvious Marvins (that's a violent link, btw) and expect to get away with it. Real life is not a Tarantino movie.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 292