Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 292

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 363731 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #1080 on: January 30, 2015, 03:09:32 pm »

HMRC? His/Her Majesty's Royal Cops?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: January 30, 2015, 03:16:41 pm »

Oh right, this isn't FG&RP. It's a famously incompetent organization from this one long running game down there that frequently accidentally massacres innocent civilians.
Accidentally, honest.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #1082 on: January 30, 2015, 03:23:19 pm »

Obviously the next step after rubber bullet machine guns is rubber frag grenades and rubber artillery shells.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: January 30, 2015, 03:24:53 pm »

The only thing that NYPD is going to get out of escalating things is torn to pieces by angry mobs.  They are horribly outnumbered and badly outgunned.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 30, 2015, 03:25:45 pm »

Obviously the next step after rubber bullet machine guns is rubber frag grenades and rubber artillery shells.
Call in the rubber airstrike!
Sig! Onol

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: January 30, 2015, 04:35:12 pm »

I don't like the ambiguity. Are they going to be giving them all M4's and MP5s like a SWAT team, or are they going to have support gunners packing M249's in addition to the M4's and MP5's that SWAT teams usually carry? The former is business as usual, but the second is even more unnecessary than that.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: January 30, 2015, 06:35:02 pm »

Call in the rubber airstrike!

Boiling rubber napalm!
Love, scriver~

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: January 30, 2015, 06:53:49 pm »

* Strange makes another note to never visit USA
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: January 30, 2015, 07:12:36 pm »

http://nypost.com/2015/01/30/nypd-to-launch-a-beefed-up-counterterrorism-squad/

So yeah, the nypd is going to specifically set up their crowd control people with machine guns, long rifles, and mraps.
The most amazing thing about this is that someone, somewhere, thought it was a good idea. You'd think that sort of person would have died of asphyxiation due to being too stupid to breath, like, decades go. Is the NYPD ran by a stupidity lich? Is that what has happened? Someone was so stupid their soul ran away and hid in a box, and now they're running a major law enforcement agency. This is the world we live in. Maybe we'll get lucky and one of the walls those machine guns end up punching through will have the phylactery on the other side and save us this misery.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:14:20 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: January 30, 2015, 07:20:53 pm »

The most amazing thing about this is that someone, somewhere, thought it was a good idea. You'd think that sort of person would have died of asphyxiation due to being too stupid to breath, like, decades go. Is the NYPD ran by a stupidity lich? Is that what has happened? Someone was so stupid their soul ran away and hid in a box, and now they're running a major law enforcement agency. This is the world we live in. Maybe we'll get lucky and one of the walls those machine guns end up punching through will have the phylactery on the other side and save us this misery.
Aaand grabbed for the sig.
Sig! Onol

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: February 01, 2015, 12:48:32 pm »

I really want to know what the official story is behind this one.  I'm unable to find one yet.  This video is all anyone seems to know.

Cop terrorizes a bunch of teenagers having a snowball fight

At least... according to the commentary in the video, which is 30 seconds long and offers no other context.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:50:25 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: February 01, 2015, 02:02:58 pm »

Sorry if I've missed anything - I only did a cursory Googling - but I tried to follow up on the unfortunate shooting of Police Chief Louis Ross during a raid on Dallas Horton's home.  As a reminder, the incident was interesting because the police chief is black, the shooter is white, and none of the police on the scene returned fire.

First off some good news, the police chief survived.  The rounds were low caliber, and he borrowed a bulletproof vest from someone just prior to the raid.  He received severe bruising, and one bullet went cleanly through an arm, but from what I can tell he was "only" hospitalized for a matter of weeks.

The cause for the raid was a fake bomb threat from a caller who claimed to be Dallas Horton, the suspect.  Apparently this is called "SWATing", a tactic used to sic police on someone maliciously.  A felony of course, but I didn't see any sign that the caller was found.  I didn't look close enough!  James Edward Holly was arrested on Tuesday (Jan 17 I think) and faced $100,000 bail.  His preliminary hearing is in late March.  So, there is some justice there at least. 
http://www.koco.com/news/bond-set-at-100000-for-sentinel-man-in-connection-to-bomb-threat/30857522

To summarize the incident, the police conducted a raid on Horton's home while also investigating the bomb threat target.  During the raid Horton shot the police chief four times, then surrendered claiming a misunderstanding.  The police fired no shots.  The fake call was placed at 4AM, the raid occurred some time that morning.

Here's where it gets weird.  According to freethoughtproject, Mayor Sam Dlugonsky said the deputies traced the call to Horton's house.  I didn't see the actual quote though, and think freethoughtproject may have paraphrased inaccurately...  Unless looking at (trivialy forged) caller-ID counts as "tracing".  The mayor did say "They made entry, cleared the first bedroom, started to clear the second bedroom, he opened fire on police and shot our chief three times in the chest and once in the arm,"

The obvious question is "Why didn't the police return fire?".  An officer was down, right?  Well, sorta.  Here's part of the account from the officer who dragged the police chief to safety and applied pressure until paramedics arrived:
"After that, the next thing I hear is gunfire," Stewart said. "I turn around, and Officer Louis is backing away, saying he’s hit.”
http://www.koco.com/news/undersheriff-deputy-describe-saving-police-chiefs-life/30873350

Horton didn't shoot any more after that.  It sounds like he realized the intruders were police and surrendered, though I wonder if he was tased...  didn't see any mention of tasing, but it would make sense.  He claims he had no idea he was shooting at cops.

And here's where I'll volunteer my opinion: I believe him.  This was a no-knock raid, probably before 7AM (the hoax call was placed at 4AM).  The wounded police chief says the cops were loudly announcing their presence, but... were they?  The internal investigation concluded that Horton didn't know.  Maybe they were shouting (the other officers would confirm it to the board) but the investigation decided that Horton was reasonably confused being woken up by shouting intruders.  I don't know how I would react, if I had a gun and was woken up at 5AM.

Though, it *could* be a conspiracy.  Honestly.  Police Chief Ross was shot 4 times, three of them in the chest.  Horton didn't fire on anyone else.  Ross normally wouldn't have had a bulletproof vest and would have almost certainly died, except that:
Minutes before kicking in the door, Loftiss noticed that Ross wasn’t wearing a bulletproof vest.

“I went to my patrol vehicle and pulled my entry vest out and gave it to him to wear,” Loftiss said.

Furthermore, Horton himself is a vocal proponent of... gun rights, among other things.  If they needed someone to "accidentally" shoot a cop, they couldn't have picked a better fall guy.  Perhaps the plan was for him to get involuntarily manslaughter.

The cops don't have to be in on it, though... It might have just been Horton and Holly, setting up an excuse to kill the police chief.  Or possibly even just Holly (the fake caller).

As for why they would target the police chief specifically?  His wife is white.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: February 02, 2015, 06:59:45 am »

Something something evil vs worse evil. No matter who you root for, you just feel so dirty.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: February 02, 2015, 09:26:14 am »

"I'm going to arrest you for resisting arrest" is now one of my favorite phrase.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: February 02, 2015, 09:33:13 am »

I find it increasingly hard to support the police when every policeman I meet who's not GSP (Georgia State Patrol) is a huge cocksucker
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 292