Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 292

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 367851 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2415 on: May 06, 2018, 03:23:07 pm »

I'd be more willing to raise a fuss about it if I thought there was a chance his views would ever come back into popularity, but at this point the popular conception of the "things were better in the Fifties" view is carrying a tiki torch down the streets of Charlottesville screaming about how he won't be replaced, so I'm perhaps more sanguine than I should be about the possibility that we again think we can shame our way to a crime-free society.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: May 06, 2018, 05:15:17 pm »

Nobody else is reacting to the "women should make kids (at an appropriately young age) and tend them while the man works", "a man's career is his only worth", "no sex before marriage", "slut-shaming is communal glue", and "no homo" aspects of that post?
I read the post (I think?) and didn't see much except "marriage is societal glue, traditional gender roles are good." Then again, whenever I see wall of text, I default to skimming. The length of your post is the optimal length for argumentation, in my opinion.

For example, the posts Loud Whispers makes are... Unwieldy.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: May 06, 2018, 05:18:25 pm »

The length of your post is the optimal length for argumentation, in my opinion.

Personally, I've never once been convinced to change my opinions by low-effort smallpost shitposting (except possibly that Serbs are the true people of Earth), but his major diatribes/serious posts have actually convinced me to change my mind on several issues over the years.

I guess it depends on whether you want something easily digested to shut down/dismiss versus exploring the issues
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: May 06, 2018, 05:44:19 pm »

The length of your post is the optimal length for argumentation, in my opinion.

Personally, I've never once been convinced to change my opinions by low-effort smallpost shitposting (except possibly that Serbs are the true people of Earth), but his major diatribes/serious posts have actually convinced me to change my mind on several issues over the years.

I guess it depends on whether you want something easily digested to shut down/dismiss versus exploring the issues
A good point. The main thing is probably consuming posts on mobile, makes me appreciate easier to read content.

But yes, back to thread. Derail bad.

Power tripping is bad, please don't play god, people.

Why.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 05:46:09 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: May 06, 2018, 06:35:04 pm »

The second one doesn’t really belong here does it?, since apparently the police response was “you want us to what? That’s not remotely our job” when they showed up.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: May 06, 2018, 06:38:31 pm »

idk, while it's tangential, it's still indicative of a culture in which people criminalize black behavior that would otherwise be unremarkable, so it goes in this thread.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: May 06, 2018, 06:39:18 pm »

Fair enough

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: May 06, 2018, 07:00:29 pm »

Criminalizing black behavior is one thing, calling 911 because your tee times are being held up is fucking batshit and should earn them a fine for false emergency.

Unless it's just really really shitty writing in the article and by "911" they mean "the police"...

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: May 06, 2018, 07:04:51 pm »

The funny thing is, the others golfers on the course say there was no unusual holdup, despite the clubs weaselly claims

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: May 06, 2018, 07:05:11 pm »

The article contains a small side mention that the women "started yelling at" the owner when asked to speed up, which suggests that there is probably more to this story. If they were asked to leave, for example, and refused, they would be trespassing and it would be entirely legitimate to call the police.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: May 06, 2018, 07:21:34 pm »

The article contains a small side mention that the women "started yelling at" the owner when asked to speed up, which suggests that there is probably more to this story. If they were asked to leave, for example, and refused, they would be trespassing and it would be entirely legitimate to call the police.
The question in this case would then be were the standards for rate of play applied properly, right?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: May 06, 2018, 07:24:14 pm »

"Asked to leave, but didn't" => "trespassing" actually violates anti-discrimination laws if applied disproportionately to black people without other cause. You can't - legally - just ask all black people to leave your business premises on demand, just because you own the premises. So no, charging people with "trespassing" doesn't make someone a god in their own place of business.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 07:28:53 pm by Reelya »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: May 06, 2018, 07:27:59 pm »

The question in this case would then be were the standards for rate of play applied properly, right?
Not really; once you start shouting at the owner then all bets are off, it doesn't really matter if they were playing at Mach 3 at that point.

"Asked to leave, but didn't" => "trespassing" actually violates anti-discrimination laws if applied disproportionately to black people without other cause. You can't - legally - just ask all black people to leave your business premises on demand, just because you own the premises. So no, charging people with "trespassing" doesn't make someone a god in their own place of business.
nb: without other cause. It's already established that there was other cause, namely, they shouted at the owner.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: May 06, 2018, 07:29:38 pm »

They shouted at the owner after he tried to get rid of them for merely playing slowly. Which suggests he might have already violated racial discrimination laws before they got angry. You seem to be suggesting here that the shouting was justification to kick them out, but that came after they were told to leave, not before, and the owner himself hasn't provided any better defense for that than they were playing slowly.

If someone gets angry because you were fucking with them in some manner, then them getting angry cannot be a defense for your initial fucking with them.

EDIT: to lay out the timeline, here's an excerpt from the article:

But Steve Chronister, who co-owns the course, told police the women weren't meeting the time guidelines, and delaying tee times for other golfers.

He called 911 twice.

When Northern York County Police arrived the first time, Chronister told them the women had picked up their speed and there was no need to talk to them. A few holes later, the golfers held up the course again, Chronister said.

When he approached them, the women started yelling at him -- prompting him to ask police to remove them, he told officers.

"We skipped a hole for them to speed things up even though there was no one close behind us," Ojo said.

Officers at the scene determined it wasn't a police matter and left, Northern County Regional Police Chief Mark Bentzel told CNN
Eventually the woman left on their own and no charges were filed.

Note, that he called 911 twice and that it's implied that when he approached the women and they started yelling, it was some time after the police were first called, then left without incident. It sounds like the angry exchange part occurred some time after the first police visit for merely being slow. So we probably have three things he did. (1) called the cops on them for merely playing slowly, (2) started trying to pressure them to leave the golf course, which made them angry, and (3) called the cops on them again, using point (2) as a justification. The pattern is more consistent with the golf course manager engaging in a pattern of harassment than anything else.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 07:48:06 pm by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: May 07, 2018, 12:05:49 am »

Nah folks, shit like "families might be important" doesn't even ping on the scope for me.

This guy on another forum, this fucking guy, he pops off in some argument about how he knows how to fix the problems with society, but then doesn't explain for a while.

Other guy keeps pushing for this "wisdom" and finally we get:

*large societal groups don't suit the human mind
*people would do better in smaller villages of say 200~ people
*women need to do what they're made for: poop out enough people to replace the ones who die
*why would they die you ask?
*rather than having a government enforce order among villages, when they get too crowded they just go fuck another villages shit up
*"having a group of people you know and would kill or die for would give people purpose and fix everything"

Forgive me as I didn't capture the fucking awe-inspiring level of shitbrainery in his original post, but it was painful enough just sliding this far down the humanity scale.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 292