Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 292

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 363811 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2626 on: October 13, 2019, 04:17:45 pm »

It's almost like super permissive gun policies leave police too scared to do their jobs without immediately blowing someone away......HHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2627 on: October 13, 2019, 05:51:13 pm »

The only thing that stops a bad legitimized authority figure who murders people while wearing a uniform that most Americans are trained to accept as a sign of authority with a gun is...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: October 13, 2019, 05:52:22 pm »

The only thing that stops a bad legitimized authority figure who murders people while wearing a uniform that most Americans are trained to accept as a sign of authority with a gun is...
Nothing, really. :( People who shoot back tend to die.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: October 14, 2019, 08:09:01 am »

(removed)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 06:47:17 pm by Toady One »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: October 14, 2019, 09:26:58 am »

While it does happen, occasionally, you need to look at averages. If you count all the times that cops pulled guns on someone, and looked at whether that person also pulled a gun on the cop, then I think you'll find that the proportion of gun-pullers who end up blown away vs unarmed people would be very different.

For example, in cases when cops went to the wrong house, they're clearly more likely to end up shooting you if you have a firearm in your hand than if you don't. Sure, there might be the odd number of times that having the gun meant you killed the cop first, but this is going to be dwarfed by the number of outcomes where you did get shot to death because you had the gun, where you wouldn't have been shot if unarmed. And even if you win, what sort of life are you going to have after being branded a cop-killer?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 09:31:46 am by Reelya »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: October 14, 2019, 11:07:52 am »

If you sign up to be a police officer I think you're inherently signing up to take on danger for the sake of protecting civilian lives.  If you can't handle that, don't be a cop.  To be specific, if your first instinct when you feel you might be in danger is to fire your gun at a shadow in a dark room, I don't want you 'protecting' me.  I want you working in a toll booth.

The gun angle here feels uncomfortably like making excuses for the cop.  As a political stance, it seems like 'government might kill you for no reason and get away with it' is the opposite of a workable angle for less permissive gun policies.
Shoes...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: October 14, 2019, 01:32:09 pm »

I think it's more reasonable to point out that their job IS safe.  They're scared of statistically very unlikely threats, and that leads to a lot of their fatally-shitty behavior.  It doesn't justify that behavior since they have no excuse not to know better, it's very easy to look up the numbers.  I guess I'll link a HuffPo article so I'm citing *something*, but their data comes from the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.

I don't know if that's the same organization that counts officers who die of non-violent causes like diabetes, but it doesn't matter since the numbers still rate police work as a *lot* safer than the work I've been taking.

So yeah, they should be focusing on protecting civilian lives.  Their error isn't that they want to live, but that they think they're in a lot more danger than they are.  I think training can help with this, and not just amount but type.  Training that breaks up this culture of "us vs them", lying for other officers, seeing citizens as potential threats. 

Eh, here's another video from Beau which goes into what's wrong with what they're taught, and how it could be better... theoretically.  Unlikely to happen, in his opinion.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2633 on: October 14, 2019, 06:49:58 pm »

Hi!  Removed some posts.  Please try to keep the violent rhetoric to a minimum.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: October 14, 2019, 07:44:59 pm »

Everytime I see that kind of thing, it makes me want to know what was said :(

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: October 14, 2019, 07:50:27 pm »

Violence against authorities was espoused.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: October 15, 2019, 07:06:31 am »

Here's hoping it sticks. Maybe we can finally nail down 'murdering someone in their own home' as something cops consistently face legal consequences for. Wouldn't that be nice :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: October 15, 2019, 12:07:57 pm »

Here's hoping it sticks. Maybe we can finally nail down 'murdering someone in their own home' as something cops consistently face legal consequences for. Wouldn't that be nice :-\
Well, about that consistently part, a cop in GA who shot a naked unarmed man got acquitted of murder, though he was still convicted of lying and breaking oath of office.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: October 15, 2019, 12:15:19 pm »

Yeah, we're not there yet. It'd be nice cause it isn't the current state of things. You'd think it wouldn't be a high bar to pass, but...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 292