Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 292

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 366436 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #3990 on: October 31, 2020, 09:13:22 pm »

That was sarcasm, I am more than willing to believe that the police did this.
Black lives matter.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: November 02, 2020, 05:58:17 pm »

https://manualredeye.com/90096/news/local/police-training-hitler-presentation/

I didn't see this posted yet.
Was actually posted a few posts back, but is suitably wacko.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: November 04, 2020, 03:20:06 pm »

Wow.

I usually snark, but this time, wow.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: November 04, 2020, 05:45:39 pm »

Quote Hitler once, shame on Hitler.

Quote Hitler twice, shame on an undefinable Nazi.

Quote Hitler thrice, shame on ???.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: November 08, 2020, 10:14:06 am »

I like how someone tried to justify the Hitler quotes as being relevant to the slides.

Which totally misses the point of why this is a problem. There are a million relevant quotes that could be found, but whoever put this together seemed to be of the mindset that you first bring up your big book of Hitler quotations, find one that vaguely fits the slide, then if that fails you begrudgingly go on Goodreads and find quotes by someone else  that might be relevant.

I'm pretty sure I could come up with all Darth Vader and the Emperor quotes that would fit the slides, too.

Or, we can entertain an alternate interpretation where the guy exhaustively crawled quotations sites, before begrudgingly going "well, I guess Adolf Hitler nailed the Ethics topic on the head again, I'll use his quote".
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 10:19:08 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: November 08, 2020, 12:15:51 pm »

Im thinking since they were already using Batman and Spider-Man quotes may be they were going for quotes the audience was already familiar with ;)
Love, scriver~

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: November 08, 2020, 08:25:18 pm »

i doubt the average cop has the reading comprehension necessary to understand mein kampf, even in english
Black lives matter.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: April 12, 2021, 03:14:17 pm »

Well, time to reboot the thread.

Minneapolis police largely excluded local press from their press conference regarding the recent police killing of Duante Wright  - national and international outlets were allowed.

Src: https://twitter.com/AndrewMannix/status/1381651950828142593

The killing in question: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56714346
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: April 12, 2021, 04:22:56 pm »

There was also the police harassing a black army lieutenant while he was in uniform, here.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: April 12, 2021, 06:02:25 pm »

Police Chief Tim Gannon has told media the shooting was accidental.

"It is my belief the officer meant to deploy their Taser but shot him with a single bullet," he said on Monday morning.

Lol sorry I thought this fucking handgun was a taser, because I am a trained law enforcement officer. Shot you in your car. My bad.

There is no angle from which this defense is acceptable.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: April 12, 2021, 06:41:07 pm »

There was also the police harassing a black army lieutenant while he was in uniform, here.

On the one hand, he was refusing to acknowledge clear instructions from the police for a very long time, while implying that his position should entitle him to special treatment. That's just not how law enforcement works, and police were 100% entitled to escalate.

On the other hand, the guy was just sitting there. You don't escalate to violence against someone who's not being violent. Fine his ass. Add another '0' to the fine for every minute he wants to sit there. But don't pull out the pepper spray because some dipshit is sitting in his car for too long.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: April 12, 2021, 08:14:52 pm »

Police Chief Tim Gannon has told media the shooting was accidental.

"It is my belief the officer meant to deploy their Taser but shot him with a single bullet," he said on Monday morning.

Lol sorry I thought this fucking handgun was a taser, because I am a trained law enforcement officer. Shot you in your car. My bad.

There is no angle from which this defense is acceptable.

This is what happened in the murder of Oscar Grant at Fruitvale Station in Oakland. It's an established defense, which worked when Grant was prone on his face with his hands behind his back, and the officer shot him in the head at close range (like 2 feet).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: April 13, 2021, 07:54:48 am »

Fun fact, in the US military and a number of other armed forces (including british police) there's no such thing as an accidental shooting.  If the gun goes off and you didn't intend to, it's a negligent discharge, which is a chargeable offense.  Period. Either she did it on purpose and faked the taser stuff for the body cam, or she's so grossly incompetent she got a civilian killed.

It's absurd that we hold the police to a lower standard.

Anyway, a traffic stop should end in a ticket or warning, period.  Police should have no prerogative to search or serve a warrant on a traffic stop.  That would eliminate a huge source of danger and violence in police interactions.  If you run a guy's plates and it's reported stolen or he's got a warrant for something violent, you don't just start shit right there on a public road.  You back off and notify HQ and a plan is put together.

And you don't fucking search people's cars for drugs on a traffic stop.  I've had my car searched before, it's terrifying.  As soon as you start searching a dude's car, if he's got something illegal in it that's now a life-and-death confrontation for him, and by extension, for the cop.  Eliminate that element entirely.  Legalize or at least decriminalize all possession for use and take the prerogative to arrest for more serious possession/trafficking from dudes making traffic stops.

But of course it's not about that, and it never was.  If you didn't let cops search on traffic stops they wouldn't make traffic stops anymore cause they were never about enforcing road laws.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 08:06:20 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: April 13, 2021, 09:19:25 am »

The part where he was pulled over because he had an air freshener hanging from his rear view mirror tells you they were looking for a reason to harass him. And tasers aren't known for going through glass like a bullet would, so that was obviously a lie as well. But there's a 0% chance anything will come of it in this country.
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 292