Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 292

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 363715 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #4230 on: October 08, 2021, 09:17:23 am »

Many of the pregnancies in prison are caused by guards. That certainly isn't their "job" and they do it anyway.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: October 08, 2021, 01:52:47 pm »

Really? Mind showing a source? I can't find anything online to suggest it's an issue. The closest I saw was a female guard becoming pregnant after a relationship with an inmate.

A more sensational story occured further afield in the US. Four female guards got pregnant to one inmate. Two of them tattooed his name on themselves.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: October 08, 2021, 04:49:56 pm »

Here's a PDF from Amnesty International.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: October 08, 2021, 07:39:14 pm »

Yea, power and resource imbalances result in higher incidents of sexual assault. Unfortunately that goes without saying. I was searching for evidence of 'many of the pregnancies in prison [being] caused by guards.' That article, so far as I could see, didn't address that. Besides which it's not practical to compare UK and US prisons too closely.

Searching for sexual assault involving prison guards in UK prisons revealed a strange trend:

https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/crime/prison-officer-from-stanwick-jailed-for-having-sex-with-inmates-3393888
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13112920/prison-officer-sex-baby-killer/
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/feb/07/prison-guard-jailed-sexual-relationship-curtis-warren-stephanie-smithwhite
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/apr/29/prison-officer-sacked-and-jailed-for-having-sex-with-inmate-in-cell

Thrill-seeking, perhaps?

General sexual assault (ie, involving all reported instances, including those against or not involving prison guards) is addressed here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/737991/sexual-assaults-reported-prisons-exploratory-findings.pdf

Which is the best source I could find. It's not up-to-date and the figures, it claims, are probably inflated - it includes allegations, regardless of later findings.

The last Guardian article above includes this, which seems somewhat relevant:

Data released to the Guardian under the Freedom of Information Act shows 567 prison staff were sacked for misconduct between mid-2013 and mid-2018, including 39 for inappropriate relationships with prisoners, of whom at least 16 were women and at least 14 were men. Other misconduct charges included breach of security and assaulting prisoners.

However, this was published in 2019 so it's also beginning to age.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: November 18, 2021, 04:47:48 pm »

55 years after being sentenced and imprisoned for the murder of Malcolm X, Muhammad A. Aziz (released early in 1985, now age 83) and Khalil Islam (released early in 1987, died in 2009), have been cleared of all charges.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: January 07, 2022, 05:37:13 pm »

NBC news clip, Ahmaud Arbery case.
The life sentences for Travis McMichael, who fatally shot Arbery; and his father, Gregory McMichael, do not carry the possibility of parole. Their neighbor William "Roddie" Bryan will be eligible, however, Superior Court Judge Timothy Walmsley said. Bryan must serve at least 30 years in prison before he is eligible for parole.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: January 07, 2022, 06:28:17 pm »

I am glad for the recognition of the crimes they committed, and hope one day to see a world without prison.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: January 10, 2022, 02:28:11 pm »

Ha, fair. I'm just happy we have a solid precedent here, that "truck lynchings" are very not okay.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: February 04, 2022, 10:31:53 pm »

Another one in Minnesota, Amir Locke killed in the execution of a no-knock warrant. Nine seconds from the point they opened the door to when they shot him.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: February 05, 2022, 10:48:40 am »

Another one in Minnesota, Amir Locke killed in the execution of a no-knock warrant. Nine seconds from the point they opened the door to when they shot him.

He was sleeping at the time, so there's no chance he was a threat.

At least we know that nothing will come of it, same as last time. Politicians are fully behind police, no matter how many people they murder.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4240 on: February 07, 2022, 06:05:55 am »

How tf are no-knocks still legal

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: February 07, 2022, 03:21:51 pm »

How tf are no-knocks still legal

It turns out "kill poor people and protect rich people" is fine with the rich people in charge, no matter what they say publicly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: February 07, 2022, 04:34:22 pm »

The mayor just made no-knocks temporarily illegal. I suppose until they rewrite the statute on it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: February 11, 2022, 05:03:47 pm »

My gosh, American police are ravenous.

Ours are not nearly the best, but unless, explicitly, you pull out a weapon and shoot/lunge at them first, they won't hit/kill you.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: July 12, 2022, 01:48:51 pm »

Just another day in American policing. This time they let a 14 year old boy die of smoke inhalation, by refusing to let the fire department put out a fire their flashbangs caused when a suspect fled into a house. (And subsequently fled out the backdoor, but what? We can't expect police to maintain a perimeter or get out from behind their SWAT van.)

The suspect had committed robbery, btw. Robbery is what cost a 14 year old their life at the hands of the ABQ SWAT team.

https://twitter.com/myronjclifton/status/1546516691575881729
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 292