Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 292

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 367222 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #4245 on: July 12, 2022, 03:36:10 pm »

That's typical though isn't it? SWAT team won't go in because they fear for their life, meanwhile you literally have the firefighter team right next to them begging to be allowed through so they can risk their lives to save another. The juxtaposition is real

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: July 12, 2022, 04:39:31 pm »

While I get what you're saying only one of those groups are trained to brave burning buildings
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: July 12, 2022, 04:55:40 pm »

That was the group that was told not to use that training by the group that isn’t trained to deal with a burning building and gets criticized for their disregard for human life quite frequently.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4248 on: July 12, 2022, 05:14:49 pm »

While I get what you're saying only one of those groups are trained to brave burning buildings
SWAT don't go in because they fear the robber might be armed

Firefighters want to go in anyways

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: July 12, 2022, 09:29:54 pm »

But, hear me out, private property.

(/s)
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: July 13, 2022, 02:14:47 pm »

This seems like the sort of situation where the moment a fire started the police should have ceded authority to the fire department.

Also a situation in which the police should probably be facing criminal charges.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: July 13, 2022, 02:26:02 pm »

This seems like the sort of situation where the moment a fire started the police should have ceded authority to the fire department.

Also a situation in which the police should probably be facing criminal charges.
But instead, Law Enforcement with their guns assumed the opposite.

I'm trying to think of what SWAT means today.
Scared White Armed Terrorists?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4252 on: July 13, 2022, 02:47:19 pm »

Shit Will Always Tell

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: July 13, 2022, 03:18:07 pm »

Should We All Tremble
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: July 13, 2022, 05:26:51 pm »

Also, looking at the incident, why were SWAT pursuing a person accused of non-violent crimes? That seems entirely the sort of thing normal police are for, aren't SWAT for y'know, terrorists, armed gangs, hostage situations and so on?
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: July 13, 2022, 05:50:13 pm »

It was reported that the suspect committed armed robbery, and was still armed at the time SWAT was sent after them. That was the whole pretext for it. My bad for not specifying armed robbery.

Meanwhile, in another corner of hell, video from inside the Uvalde school. With the screams and gunfire edited out, presumably because it's too horrific to experience what actually happens dozens of times a year now in this country:

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1546968096094691328

In Uvalde we get the polar opposite result compared to ABQ. Instead of going completely overboard and letting people die, in Uvalde they did nothing and let people die.

This is how fucked Law Enforcement is in this country. Taken as a whole, it can literally achieve two completely opposite yet equally horrific results.

This is why, for me, going south of the Mason-Dixon line feels like you're entering another country with its own set of rules and dangers. Christ, I remember being in TN about a decade ago visiting my dad and we were driving through the nice downtown area of Chattanooga. And while stopped at a stop light, some bike cop half his age rolls up on his drive side window and starts harassing him with no preamble. Asking what he thinks he's doing, where he's going, calling him "boy" (my dad is pretty much pure Mexican and sports a long, long pony tail to boot. The kind of thing dipshit redneck cops start salivating when they see it.) I could see my dad's hands gripping the steering wheel like he's got them around this cop's neck. But he yes sir no sir'd until the cop just rolled on. Just had to fucking take it.

No PD in the country has a clean record. But lately it seems like Southern cops (and I include NM and AZ as the South at this point) have just become demented even compared to other police brutality and outright failures of duty.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 06:19:15 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: July 14, 2022, 01:12:04 am »

In my state (New York), Robbery is theft with force. So, there is no non-violent Robbery as it's defined by it's use of violence.

But yeah, armed robbery is more so.

I would argue the two stories are not polar opposites, but rather the exact same thing.
SWAT show up
They're incompetent.
They stand around picking their noses.
They prevent anyone else from helping the people trapped in the building.
Everyone in the building dies.

It's a failure of tactics, of training, of funding allocations, of hiring, of cross-agency cooperation.
It is....a failure.
I'm trying not to throw up thinking about the TV show SWAT.
I'm starting to think cop shows just make things worse. Their unrealistic depictions bleed out into reality.

I was watching some reruns of Walker, Texas Ranger and realized a lot of cops grew up watching Walker & Co just beat the shit out of suspected criminals. No wonder they think it's OK.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: July 14, 2022, 04:50:32 pm »

Copaganda!
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: July 14, 2022, 04:56:45 pm »

Cop a gander?  Lewd

Edit: jape aside here's a video about copaganda.  Jack Saint did one too which was pretty good, but Mia Mulder is underappreciated
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 05:36:03 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: July 14, 2022, 04:58:22 pm »

ill gander ur cop if u kno wut i mean
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 292