Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 292

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 363709 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #4260 on: July 16, 2022, 09:09:47 pm »

In Uvalde we get the polar opposite result compared to ABQ. Instead of going completely overboard and letting people die, in Uvalde they did nothing and let people die.

That's being far too generous. They rushed in, saved their own kids, then attacked and arrested anyone else who wasn't on the shooter's side. The police here were actively preventing anyone from saving lives.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: July 17, 2022, 04:28:35 am »

In Uvalde we get the polar opposite result compared to ABQ. Instead of going completely overboard and letting people die, in Uvalde they did nothing and let people die.

That's being far too generous. They rushed in, saved their own kids, then attacked and arrested anyone else who wasn't on the shooter's side. The police here were actively preventing anyone from saving lives.

To be fair to at least some of the Law Enforcement, the failure seems to be in command and training.
Latest news
It very much seems like nobody on the scene felt they had the authority to proceed. When people lack authority to act, they do nothing.
It's not clear from the video alone which agencies the officers belonged to or who was in command, though the investigative report to be released this weekend could provide answers.
Yup, nobody knew what was fucking going on, so they did nothing. It's a regrettably common thing in any groups that haven't worked together extensively to address those issues.

Don't be surprised if this means MORE money gets spent on Law Enforcement.  Training ain't cheap.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: July 19, 2022, 11:25:13 am »

Here! Have something terrifying about crisis hotlines :)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: July 19, 2022, 11:57:28 am »

Ugh, yeah. And setting aside the risk of people in a crisis being incarcerated in a psych facility against their will, let alone the risk of people getting shot by a cop when someone calls a hotline for help with it... the carceral state is looking for any excuse to lock people up in for-profit prisons. And it's not above targeting people at their lowest lows, or those around them.

Emergencies are emergencies, so seek help wherever it's available... but try to point friends in a crisis toward a trusted local Peer Support Hotline first. And if it's an option, work out who among your social circle is able to offer you support in emergencies like that, before involving a crisis line. Community-driven care is probably more important now than ever.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: July 19, 2022, 12:44:35 pm »

The risk of ending up with criminal charges is also there.
Are you supposed to have those drugs? Drug Charges.
Were you nice to the cop during your psychiatric episode? Disobey Law Enforcement Charges.
Did you threaten anyone else? Harassment Charges.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: July 20, 2022, 04:30:32 pm »

These ain't new issues.
In that town called San Diego when the workers try to talk,
The cops will smash them with a sap and tell them "take a walk",
They throw them in a bull pen and they feed them rotten beans,
And they call that "law and order" in that city, so it seems

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: July 20, 2022, 08:16:43 pm »

Here! Have something terrifying about crisis hotlines :)

IME the person I got over the text line was pretty decent.  We had a pretty long back n forth convo about putting together some sort of plan for the future, presumably they didn't think I was a threat to myself.

The actual phone hotline was bunk tho.  Basically, they asked me if I was able to call 911, and since I said yeah they're like, "then do that."  So I did.  Luckily my dad was with me and the ERs across the main road, so they just let him take me there and get hospitalized voluntarily.

Again I preface this as my own experience, it's really a coinflip over who actually picks up the phone if they wanna fuck you or not.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: July 21, 2022, 07:41:37 pm »

IME the person I got over the text line was pretty decent.  We had a pretty long back n forth convo about putting together some sort of plan for the future, presumably they didn't think I was a threat to myself.

The actual phone hotline was bunk tho.  Basically, they asked me if I was able to call 911, and since I said yeah they're like, "then do that."  So I did.  Luckily my dad was with me and the ERs across the main road, so they just let him take me there and get hospitalized voluntarily.

Again I preface this as my own experience, it's really a coinflip over who actually picks up the phone if they wanna fuck you or not.

I called a crisis line a couple of years ago and they asked questions I didn't want to answer like my legal name (extremely unique) and location (was a schoolteacher, didn't want to be known to be calling a crisis line ... and suffering from paranoia at the time) before they would even let me be put on hold. Eventually I just gave up and did something else because I had been on hold for hours. LOL.

(The second time the dispatcher wouldn't let me refuse to give a last name so I just hung up because it didn't seem worth it. I ended up on antidepressants for close to two years instead because the option I would have preferred, having a safety net if I needed to talk to someone, didn't actually seem to be available).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4268 on: July 21, 2022, 08:14:32 pm »

Reminds me of the anon who called the national suicide hotline but got put on hold for 4 hours and found the situation so hilarious that he he hung up and couldn't stop laughing; he reminisced that in a way, the hotline did help him out

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: July 22, 2022, 10:31:35 am »

Hm, I know that if you hang up on 911, law enforcement may be dispatched to your location via the GPS in your phone.
So I'm concerned hang ups on a crisis line may be similar, although they might not have the tech.
(I'm also not 100% sure that 911 has the tech either).

Vector's article was about crisis lines trying to get the tech, so they could default to sending cops to your location if you get fed up and hang up on them.

I'm reminded of the transformation of the Probation in the United States from a bunch of counselors that were supposed to help rehabilitate criminals into a monitoring agency for law enforcement.  I suspect a similar thing is happening with the crisis lines.  People LOVE cops, and LOVE helping them.

Law enforcement can be quite seductive when they put on the charm.  They'll give out kiddie badges and involve people & organizations they're trying to bring under their control in training. In probation's case, they even gave out guns.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: August 24, 2022, 01:27:49 pm »

Bystanders shot by Denver police shocked by body camera videos, disappointed in police response
https://www.denverpost.com/2022/08/17/denver-police-lodo-shooting-body-camera-victims/

Absolutely terrible. Good thing the footage was released to correct the lies propagated by those police officers.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: August 24, 2022, 04:18:13 pm »

Honestly I'm surprised people aren't taking matters into their own hands at this point. There's just ceaseless cases of police fuck ups at best and outright malice at worst with little to no punishment, or even actual rewards. The closest was the whole mass BLM protests/riots and they didn't last.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: August 24, 2022, 04:33:17 pm »

What're they gonna do? Shoot back at cops who are recklessly shooting at suspects? That's how you become just another perp. Cops aren't going to accept anyone opening fire on them for any reason. Hell even cops shamelessly, recklessly endangering the public at large still get that basic (undeserved) protection.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: August 24, 2022, 05:03:05 pm »

Turn police back into guardians, not warriors.  There have been books written on the topic.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: August 24, 2022, 07:52:02 pm »

Bystanders shot by Denver police shocked by body camera videos, disappointed in police response
https://www.denverpost.com/2022/08/17/denver-police-lodo-shooting-body-camera-victims/

Absolutely terrible. Good thing the footage was released to correct the lies propagated by those police officers.

The conduct of Law Enforcement is not new. What is new is that we now have footage to disprove the lies.
I wish we had more laws like the one in Denver that mandated the disclosure of the video.
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 292