Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Convince me to start Adventure Mode  (Read 1291 times)

Kluten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Convince me to start Adventure Mode
« on: August 23, 2014, 03:55:11 am »

Hello guys. Ive been only play fortress mode for a long time now and i've tried to start with Adventure mode for a long time but i cant seem to enjoy it or understand what its about. What is it about? Just run around and do quests? Is there a end goal?

It also seems really hard to get used too. (buttons and commands etc)

Any recomended LP'ers or site to learn Adventure mode?

Convince me to start with Adventure mode again.

ps: sorry for bad grammar.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
Re: Convince me to start Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:59:36 am »

for 1 thing, all your critiques could be used against fortress mode: what do you do? dig and horde rescources? (of course i'm playing devil's advocate here, and i know there's alot more to it than that)
really hard to get used to.... not even gonna start there.. for me adventure mode was much easier to understand than fortress mode, seeing as each key has a specific task, and doesn't lead to another menu to choose from (memorizing the keybindings takes a while, but if you pull up the help screen you should be fine)
is there an end goal? well you know what they say about losing and fun.

honestly, i am a huge fan of roleplaying games and the complete open world freedom mixed with the randomly generated history and backstory each world comes with makes adventure mode (even in the crude state it is in) the best rpg of all time. But if you are one of the people who enjoy the challenge of epic building projects or the organizing of 200 disparate dwarves, than adventure mode may not be your thing.

My first few adventurers were just me making demigod heroes and going down the quest line of peasants, soldiers, and lords, and once i had a hero who could easily solo a titan or dragon, i dug down to hfs in fort mode and found my heroic death down there.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

zlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 06:07:32 am »

Well, when you learn that you should get out of water before night (at night it freezes, killing you), learn how to fight and wrestle, it's very enjoyable. I especially like the adventure combat, where you can target a body part you want to hack, instead of blindly beating monsters up until they die. It may sound sadistic, but I sometimes like to sever every limb of a goblin, before killing him off :P
error: 'long long long' is too long

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 09:34:12 am »

Visit human towns and dark fortresses, build your own.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 11:25:31 am »

I would recommend to wait the incoming 0.40.10 release if you want to try Adventure Mode, it should not be very far anyways.
Currently there are some big problems that are very detrimental to immerse yourself and ultimately have fun, one is that once you go stealth none will ever react to you hitting them (so you can basically decimate whole civilizations by yourself) and the 2nd major one is that emotions and reactions are really broken.

In the incoming 0.40.10, the stealth problem should be solved, and Toady has worked on some fixes for the broken emotions and reaction, even if the reaction/emotion will very likely need more fixing, these improvement should already make for a much better adventure mode experience.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 01:21:38 pm »

The key bindings are just a temporary thing you gotta learn, I strongly suggest you change the hotkey for wait from repeat not to repeat slow at least for the "." when training vs crabs it can be tedious otherwise :P

Kluten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 02:40:56 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys. Ill definatly wait for .10. Is there any Adventure mode guide thats up to date?

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 03:05:18 pm »

I'd say adventure mode has infinite potential, but everything is kind of in-between at the moment. The political stuff is kind of there only not, the military stuff is kind of there only not, the heroic stuff is kind of there only not, and the civilizations are just plain bad at keeping themselves alive. It'd probably be easier to get into it in on of the older, more structured releases or wait until actual stuff to do goes in. There's always the crazy stuff most people have fun with when they start out, though. Pushing soldiers of fortress walls, wiping out forest retreats, exploring the caverns, taking over a site, or raiding a vault if you're hardcore. Hell, just exploring the world and various sites, ruined or otherwise can be good fun. Exploing your old forts is what adventure mode was made for initially, though, and probably one of the most intense experiences in the game, especially if your fort fell to something interesting that decided to stick around.

Shizmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 04:49:12 pm »

I would recommend previous version .34 Current is broken beyond hell and doubt .10 will fix it all.