Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Kobold Camp 2014: The Gritty Reboot [40.10][Community Development!]  (Read 31240 times)

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:FOOLISH]
    • View Profile

KOBOLD CAMP 2014

Kobold Camp is a mod so classic that many (myself included) consider it to be an integral part of the overall Dwarf Fortress experience. As such, when I discovered that it was not yet playable for DF2014 I felt I had no choice but to update the mod myself. On doing so, I discovered that over the last several years and incarnations, Kobold Camp had become considerably less primitive than the mod I remembered playing and loving in the past, so I decided to reboot the mod to make Kobolds primitive whelps again! I hope you will enjoy it!

For those of you who have never played it before, this mod is HARD !!EXTRA FUN!! You are unlikely to live through your first siege. Kobolds die from papercuts compared to Dwarves. It is hard to accumulate any significant stockpile of weapons or armor other than wooden clubs and pointy sticks. Humans, Dwarves, and Elves will be coming to wipe you out. On top of that, this mod has been minimally tested, so finding bugs is to be expected.

Features:
Kobolds cannot work metal or most stone, nor dig into said things.
Chert, Quartz, and Obsidian will be found in small pockets in soil and may be used by Kobolds primarily for making stone weapons (Kobolds cannot do masonry at all).
Three new workshops:
     Trap Shop - wooden mechanisms and special (primitive) trap components for Kobolds!
     Bushcraft Workshop - bone and tooth weapons and more
     Training Grounds - the only advantage Kobolds get in this big, scary world. Allows you to train weapon skills with relative ease.
Human, Dwarf, and Elf sieges!
Trade with Goblins, Reptilemen, Troglodytes, and more!

[DOWNLOAD_FROM_DFFD] (version 1.61)

HOW TO INSTALL:
Open a freshly unpacked/installed version of dwarf fortress and navigate to the 'raw' folder.
Drag all files to 'raw/objects'.
You're done!

Version History
note: all versions up to 1.6 were developed by other authors. I have merely kept the version numbering system that was started by them.

---ver 1.61---
-Changed the readme to be the format that git/github like (README.md) and cleaned up the readme also
-added some leather armor reactions, moved the fur bed reaction, to Bushcraft Workshop
-added bone cages and statues to Bushcraft workshop
-continuing to tweak on entity_itemthief (aka Kobold Trading partners) [still needs work and testing]
-added the ability to extract blood and brew it into alcohol (idea from Masterwork DF by Meph)
-made weapon stones more effective (thanks, AJC!)
-made vermin edible and added wickerworking (thanks to milo christiansen, creator of Rubble)

---ver 1.6---
-Ported to 40.09
-Uploaded to Github to make mod development more community oriented
-Reworked mod to return Kobold life to a more primitive state, including:
   -Removed metal use
   -Reworked and simplified weapons significatnly
   -Removed the minecart analogue
   -Condensced and simplified workshops
   -Added the use of chert, obsidian, and quartzite back in
   -Disallowed many jobs (masonry, smithing, etc)
   -Made Kobolds [ITEM_THIEF] (trade wtih Goblins, sieges from Humans, Elves, Dwarves)
   -Gave Kobolds new trading partners (Troglodytes, Frogmen, and more!)

Community Development
In addition to all that, I'm also opening development of this mod (which really, belongs to everyone) to the community by moving development to github! You can fork your own versions or comment on the forks of others, and those forks can be incorporated into the main branch of the mod if they're good and people like them! Yay!

You can also download .zip files of the bleeding edge version of the mod (whichever version is listed as "in progress" in the version history)

GITHUB IS HERE

Issues:
Kobolds taken by moods still want workshops they can't normally use.
Mining appears twice in some skill lists.
Many now useless workshops (mason's workshop, metalsmith's forge) can still be queued up to be built (they just won't be useful).
Trading partners for Kobolds aren't guaranteed to work correctly as they have not been fully tested and were hastily implemented
Who knows?

If you find more issues when playing, or have suggestions, let me know (or fork the git repo!).

Credits for this mod:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:08:26 pm by HelloLion »

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp 2014: The Gritty Reboot [40.09][Community Development!]
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 02:22:15 pm »

Reserving second post for a tutorial to come later.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 06:23:01 pm »

Firing it up now.

Bring it on, world.

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp 2014: The Gritty Reboot [40.10][Community Development!]
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:03:03 pm »

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Also, in case anyone is wondering, Kobold Camp seems to have no issues running in 40.10 that I can see.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 09:14:47 pm »

That... Was painful. I thought I could maybe beat the elf siege with a 2vs1 number bonus, but no, the elves decorated my area with kobold blood. I killed one elf. ONE. One of my dwarves, with great training and steel armor, can solo a full invasion. Man, it must suck to be a kobold full time. Nice challenge, but the saddest loss !!victory!! I've ever had. Well, that, or when I somehow opened my pit of monsters into my fortress.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 10:09:20 pm »

Spoiler: Thlukriris (click to show/hide)

Obviously, I was unable to gauge the capabilities of kobolds in combat, although the more mundane uses of the new workshops are quite welcome.

I'd like to make a request. (I could simply do this through github, I suppose, but it's a new interface I'll have to learn, and discussing changes beforehand is always a good idea.) The addition of simple leather armor to the Bushcraft Workshop would be easy and allow consistent armor use for kobold militaries. Leather Armor, High Boots and Banded Skirts aren't always available, and would be a solid (if poor compared to dwarven armor) set. It drives me crazy to be unable to armor them with something.

Spoiler: The Reactions I Use (click to show/hide)

mangulwort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 11:05:31 pm »

Thank you for "crediting me for my hard work"  ;D You did a good job! I guess I will try to add bits from my kobold mod to this mod on github. How does github work?
(edit)
Sorry but why do kobolds live in cities?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:30:08 pm by mangulwort »

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 12:17:19 am »

IT HAS BEEN TOO LONG WITHOUT MY FIX.
I Love Bacon

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 05:03:40 am »

If you want anything from the MDF kobolds, feel free to copy stuff as you like. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 04:09:14 pm »

Spoiler: Thlukriris (click to show/hide)

Obviously, I was unable to gauge the capabilities of kobolds in combat, although the more mundane uses of the new workshops are quite welcome.

I'd like to make a request. (I could simply do this through github, I suppose, but it's a new interface I'll have to learn, and discussing changes beforehand is always a good idea.) The addition of simple leather armor to the Bushcraft Workshop would be easy and allow consistent armor use for kobold militaries. Leather Armor, High Boots and Banded Skirts aren't always available, and would be a solid (if poor compared to dwarven armor) set. It drives me crazy to be unable to armor them with something.

Spoiler: The Reactions I Use (click to show/hide)

Glad you're enjoying it already! I'm doing a tutorial camp and taking screenshots right now and I'm just hoping the camp survives long enough for me to show everything I want to show in the tutorial!

As far as the leather armor reactions go, I am not opposed and will be pushing changes to github with these reactions included later.

Thank you for "crediting me for my hard work"  ;D You did a good job! I guess I will try to add bits from my kobold mod to this mod on github. How does github work? Also could you include this picture on the first post? I think suits the atmosphere. Its from the Bravemule dwarf fort comic.

(edit)
Sorry but why do kobolds live in cities?

Love the image, will use it gladly.

Be glad to have your help with development on github. I'm not great with it, but here's a link to a tutorial on how to fork a repository and sync that fork:
https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo

Kobolds living in cities was done by the DF2012 authors, I believe so that Kobolds would form societies that would be less likely to die out, and so they'd be visible to the player (which might be an issue with having them in CAVES), honestly though I haven't tried setting them to caves so maybe that should be played with. In any case, I've made it so they don't build any structures in worldgen of significance.

If you want anything from the MDF kobolds, feel free to copy stuff as you like. :)

Appreciate the offer! Was planning to poke around in the MDF raws anyway. :)

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 11:14:38 pm »

Excellent, I'm happy to see that someone took this up. I haven't had the free time anymore to really get into re-modding kobold camp like before, so I'm glad that when I get into DF2014 I'll have kobold camp to get into. Thanks a ton, HelloLion.

Kobolds living in cities was done by the DF2012 authors, I believe so that Kobolds would form societies that would be less likely to die out, and so they'd be visible to the player (which might be an issue with having them in CAVES), honestly though I haven't tried setting them to caves so maybe that should be played with.

This is correct on both counts, as well as generally making adventure mode more viable as a kobold in some ways. I have absolutely no idea how well kobolds do in caves anymore, since the backend of worldgen has been changed a fair bit from what I hear. In fact, if you perused the 2010-2012 KC versions much, you may find that a lot of my modding was a pile of compromises.

Also, I absolutely approve of rebooting it to primitive levels again. While (if I remember correctly, which I may not) I did manage to keep it relatively primitive (at times), I got way too happy to implement feature after feature, both mine and others' contributions. My point here is that I believe that the mod's charm wasn't just in the primitive level, it was also in its simplicity. It focused on a limited number of existing features to survive, not a large, expanded set of weaker features.

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 12:15:19 pm »

Excellent, I'm happy to see that someone took this up. I haven't had the free time anymore to really get into re-modding kobold camp like before, so I'm glad that when I get into DF2014 I'll have kobold camp to get into. Thanks a ton, HelloLion.

Kobolds living in cities was done by the DF2012 authors, I believe so that Kobolds would form societies that would be less likely to die out, and so they'd be visible to the player (which might be an issue with having them in CAVES), honestly though I haven't tried setting them to caves so maybe that should be played with.

This is correct on both counts, as well as generally making adventure mode more viable as a kobold in some ways. I have absolutely no idea how well kobolds do in caves anymore, since the backend of worldgen has been changed a fair bit from what I hear. In fact, if you perused the 2010-2012 KC versions much, you may find that a lot of my modding was a pile of compromises.

Also, I absolutely approve of rebooting it to primitive levels again. While (if I remember correctly, which I may not) I did manage to keep it relatively primitive (at times), I got way too happy to implement feature after feature, both mine and others' contributions. My point here is that I believe that the mod's charm wasn't just in the primitive level, it was also in its simplicity. It focused on a limited number of existing features to survive, not a large, expanded set of weaker features.

I'm really glad that you are happy with what I've done and that you understand why I made the changes that I did. I definitely think that overall a lot of your work was great and very useful to me, and I know that you were also working with the work of many other contributors, but I'm glad there's no resentment for me taking steps back in some ways.

I know you said you don't have much time, but if you ever feel like contributing anything I've put the mod on github so your contributions would be very welcome.

Also, if you've been waiting to try DF2014 now's a good time. The current version (40.10) seems to fix the fear problems, which were the biggest lingering problem of the DF2014 release. At this point it's quite stable by Dwarf Fortress standards.

On another note, I've pushed a newer version of Kobold Camp to github for anyone who wants to try it. I'm planning to keep tweaking on a few things before releasing the next true version, but if you want to play with Ruludos's armor suggestions or make cages out of bone, you can download the updated raws from github!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 02:56:20 pm »

Feel free to lift anything you want from Rubble, it has a very kobold like saurian civ and a bunch of possibly useful industries (better pottery anyone?).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

AJC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 04:53:49 pm »

for kobold weapon materials because vanilla obsidian while now able to cut thru flesh leather and wood now since 40.05 lacks the ability to harm metal armor being defeated by even no quality copper armor made me wonder about the other stuff you said.

looking thru the raw you just added max edge value's to quartzite and chert but are lacking defined yield and shear values and so will use the defaults from the stone template, without properly set yield and sheer values you'll find edge weapons made of these won't cut skin and will just make edge weapons made of them club people instead of cutting or tearing anything.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 07:51:08 pm »

Getting ready to embark in a world I just generated now. Wish me luck!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5