Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Kobold Camp 2014: The Gritty Reboot [40.10][Community Development!]  (Read 31242 times)

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:FOOLISH]
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp 2014: The Gritty Reboot [40.10][Community Development!]
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 08:01:29 pm »

Feel free to lift anything you want from Rubble, it has a very kobold like saurian civ and a bunch of possibly useful industries (better pottery anyone?).

Thanks! I might very well borrow some ideas from your pottery stuff in particular since I was thinking about pottery already.

for kobold weapon materials because vanilla obsidian while now able to cut thru flesh leather and wood now since 40.05 lacks the ability to harm metal armor being defeated by even no quality copper armor made me wonder about the other stuff you said.

looking thru the raw you just added max edge value's to quartzite and chert but are lacking defined yield and shear values and so will use the defaults from the stone template, without properly set yield and sheer values you'll find edge weapons made of these won't cut skin and will just make edge weapons made of them club people instead of cutting or tearing anything.

Thanks for pointing this out. I feel silly now. I will have this fixed for 1.61

Getting ready to embark in a world I just generated now. Wish me luck!

Good luck! Hope the elves are tasty!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 09:08:35 pm »

Thanks! No elves yet, but I'm already having interesting times just with room layouts. Being unable to dig out stone makes for some twisty housing options.  :P

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 03:39:31 am »

I would advise to change all the worldgen profiles to check "visible caves:yes", that way people can embark on caves and get to the caverns, even without digging rock. It really makes for a different embark.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 01:30:40 pm »

Kobold Camp has just been updated to 1.61!

The big change: Wicker!
When I released Kobold Camp I knew I would probably find things I wanted to change right away. One big thing that was lingering over the mod was that I had removed Stalk Wood, an old farmable crop that produced wood, which allowed Kobolds to embark in areas with little to no trees. I wasn't sold on this solution and didn't like the way Stalk Wood worked, so I removed it, but I didn't initially have a replacement for it. Thankfully, many people have offered to let me reuse parts of their mods, including milo christiansen, creator of Rubble. One thing included as an option in Rubble is the ability to create and craft things from Wicker, a concept I immediately loved. So now, Kobolds have a new workshop, the Basketry, where they can process plants like rope reed and pig tails into Wicker, which can be used to craft Wicker Baskets (bins), Wicker Cabinets, Wicker Chests, Wicker Tables, and Wicker Chairs. Wicker will by no means replace wood, but it gives a wood strapped camp another option.

Other changes:
-Changed the readme to be the format that git/github like (README.md) and cleaned up the readme also
-added some leather armor reactions, moved the fur bed reaction, to Bushcraft Workshop
-added bone cages and statues to Bushcraft workshop
-continuing to tweak on entity_itemthief (aka Kobold Trading partners) [still needs work and testing]
-added the ability to extract blood and brew it into alcohol (idea from Masterwork DF by Meph)
-made weapon stones more effective (thanks, AJC!)
-made vermin edible

DOWNLOAD 1.61

I would advise to change all the worldgen profiles to check "visible caves:yes", that way people can embark on caves and get to the caverns, even without digging rock. It really makes for a different embark.

I will have to playtest this and see how it works but I am interested. Thanks for the idea.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 08:26:15 pm »

I guess I'll have to redo my copy then. I'll try to set myself visible caves so I can use them instead of having to mine.

Edited to add: You don't need to mod it for the visible caves. There's a worldgen option in the advanced parameters. Anyone can easily get in, scroll down to find it, and change the value from 0 to 1.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:41:13 pm by Urist McVoyager »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 08:47:46 pm »

Yes, exactly, thats what I meant. The actual text file is in data/init/worldgen.txt, and HelloLion could set this 0 to 1 by default. At least that was my suggestion. ^^ This way all worldgen in the adv. worldgen have the caves set to visible when you start DF.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 08:53:38 pm »

Okay, it's done. I should be able to find caves to embark in now.

Off to start a new game!

Edited to add: I think that only affects the custom worldgen, not the standard one. Oh well, I'll just have to play that way.

Edit 2: holy carp! An entire stack of bones was converted to short swords. One sword per bone! Nifty.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:45:25 pm by Urist McVoyager »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 12:48:27 pm »

Well, that cave leads to a flooded cavern. After a few levels you'd need a scuba suit to get anywhere. And I lost my leader fighting a giant rat. We took one out, but the second got him and earned a name. I really need to start attaching my trolls to squads instead of letting them sit. It's why I bring them, after all.

On that note: Was it intentional that trolls only cost one Urist? I like it, I just don't think that fits in with the difficulty spike this reboot is aiming for.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 02:06:53 pm »

Trolls cost 1 because they have no pet value in the raws, its not intended.

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 04:17:59 pm »

Trolls cost 1 because they have no pet value in the raws, its not intended.

This is correct. The next update to KC will fix this.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 04:41:56 pm »

Not sure if you want it, but I had Photoshop open anyway.

Love it! Will update when I'm not on my phone. You are as helpful as you are generous! :)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2014, 09:45:07 pm »

I haven't been using my trolls anyway, yet, so modding them to have a higher value doesn't seem like it'd be too bad for me. I doubt I'll stick with this Camp. I'm more likely to go looking for a better cave.

I think instead of packing so many goods, I'm going to pack excess adult animals and just butcher them to hell and back for the supplies. Enough to arm, armor and feed my camp. We could just forage for the plants to brew alcohol.

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 10:13:40 pm »

I always take alcohol out of habit, but I think I might start just foraging to make alcohol. I am playing with troll value adjusted right now, it's a nice challenge. Trolls cost 16, so not a small decision.

Oh, and if you don't like your camp, just wait for an elf siege, it won't take long ;)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2014, 11:23:09 pm »

I didn't check my neighbors. It's entirely possible not to have Elves as neighbors. In my first world, I didn't have any human neighbors either.

I might just bring animals on my next embark, and the skills to use them. Some hunting dogs for taking out animals, a few trolls for defense against worse things.

Trolls can't be armed and armored in this one, can they?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5