Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magmacrabfest  (Read 8059 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Magmacrabfest
« on: August 24, 2014, 06:15:53 pm »

Are those supposed to spawn in hordes of 58 magma crabs?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Magmacrabfest
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 08:10:31 pm »

It's a bug related to the flying and climbing mobs not being able to find their way off the map.  Essentially magma crabs get stuck somewhere and constantly breed until they hit the spawn cap.

Should be fixed in 0.40.10.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 08:17:16 pm »

The thread title makes me wonder what Magmacrabs with melted (or molten) garlic butter taste like.

Edit: apparently briefly had the [utterances] token.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:19:03 pm by cyberTripping »
Everything's in the news today

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:13:59 pm »

I just took their [fireimmune] tags away so they incinerate.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 09:43:01 pm »

I just took their [fireimmune] tags away so they incinerate.

You are one sick cookie.

I love it!

PillarsOfSalt

• Bay Watcher
  • Bursting at the seams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 11:20:10 pm »

Yup, I'm sticking with 0.34 for a while longer. Magmacrabfest? Unnh Unnh
This is a terrible embark that has turned into an awesome embark.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 01:31:58 am »

You may try to capture some and put them into a small tower to have a basalt turret.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Dzedajus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 03:41:02 am »

Damn magmacrabs in 0.34 one magmacrab shot basalt into one of my stupid marksdwarves straight into heart, he bled to death in less than a second and the other one dodged into lava.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 03:46:35 am »

It's a bug related to the flying and climbing mobs not being able to find their way off the map.  Essentially magma crabs get stuck somewhere and constantly breed until they hit the spawn cap.

No it is not. They spawned after I upgraded to 40.10

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 07:33:09 am »

Please check out this thread: magma-crab splosion
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142438.0

Did you create a new fort or upgrade an old fort?
If you upgraded, they may have given birth before the fix.
If it is a new fort, I'd recommend uploading to the bug request in the thread, or start a new bug reporting proving that the problem has not been fixed yet in the latest version.

EDIT:
I'm not sure which version you upgraded from, but maybe what happened is that all the ones you see currently are "offspring born on the map". Do creatures that spawn on the map ever leave?

You may have found a new bug. What do you think?

"Creatures / Zombies that spawn on the map will never leave". This may have never been a problem in the past because if a deer gives birth, well goblin seiges kill everything. But now that magma crabs give birth and nothing to slay them, you are getting a ballooning creature count, similar to zombie horde FPS death.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 07:51:51 am by ZzarkLinux »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 08:13:51 am »

Please check out this thread: magma-crab splosion
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142438.0

Did you create a new fort or upgrade an old fort?
If you upgraded, they may have given birth before the fix.
If it is a new fort, I'd recommend uploading to the bug request in the thread, or start a new bug reporting proving that the problem has not been fixed yet in the latest version.

EDIT:
I'm not sure which version you upgraded from, but maybe what happened is that all the ones you see currently are "offspring born on the map". Do creatures that spawn on the map ever leave?

You may have found a new bug. What do you think?

"Creatures / Zombies that spawn on the map will never leave". This may have never been a problem in the past because if a deer gives birth, well goblin seiges kill everything. But now that magma crabs give birth and nothing to slay them, you are getting a ballooning creature count, similar to zombie horde FPS death.

It is a fort started in 40.09.
However. I did not have any magma creatures on the map at all, before I upgraded to 40.10. My wildlife spawns were blocked by a troll that was stuck up a tree in cave 1, and a bunch of similarily stuck crundles in cave 3.
Those had already been there for 12 ingame years.

As soon as I updated to 40.10, the troll and crundles left their trees, and the map (except the troll, who walked into a cage trap). A few dwarf days later, 2 GCS spawned in cave 1, a voracious cave crawler replaced the crundles in cave 3, and 58 (all adult) magma crabs spawned in the magma sea. They were definitly not there in 40.09.

I'll report a bug.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:21:25 am by martinuzz »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 08:18:42 am »

No it is not. They spawned after I upgraded to 40.10

That's why I used the word "should."

Since it sounds like you migrated a save, it could be residual activity left over from the previous version.  Save migration tends to maintain bugs related to creatures since a lot of it is set when you generate the world.  Alternately, magcrabs may have a different pathing problem preventing them from leaving.  If it's a fresh world to 40.10, then uploading your save and updating bug report 08065 would be the next thing to do.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:28:28 am by Tacomagic »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 08:28:41 am »

I think there's 2 possibilities:

1) the magma crabs were already present, breeding, but not moving, in an unexplored part of the magma sea, and the update allowed them to move again, which caused them to enter explored territory and show up in the Units screen. I would have expected to see some baby mudcrabs though, not all adults.

2) there is a bug that just spawns way too many of them

here's the save, if anyone's interested: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9511
(I'm pretty pleased with how the design is working out)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:10:29 am by martinuzz »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 09:02:58 am »

I would have expected to see some baby mudcrabs though, not all adults.

There is most-likely still a per-species population cap set at 50... and magma crabs lack BABY and CHILD tokens, so they're born as adults.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 11:33:12 am »

I've got a fresh fortress (created in 40.09 a day before 40.10 released) where five magma crabs pathed up through a volcano and started playing on the surface. Four of them have now wandered off the map, and the fifth is not exhibiting any "stuckness". This seems to suggest that the 40.10 pathing fixes may have resolved this bug, but since they were on the surface and not in the magma sea it's hard to say for sure.
Pages: [1] 2