Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: D&D / Faerūn Interest Check  (Read 6998 times)

Slidey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D / Faerūn Interest Check
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 02:41:43 am »

Nonspoiler:
It is interesting idea to play as that sort of nonelf mentioned by the originator of the query

i personally would like to play both as them, and as boggles ;)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 10:49:59 am »

"Baldur's Gate" done in the style of Dwarf Fortress... Now THAT'S interesting.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:FOOLISH]
    • View Profile
Re: D&D / Faerūn Interest Checkup a
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 12:36:07 pm »

I would be interested in playing and contributing to a DnD 3.5 mod. You could do a thing with castes as classes with caste specific positions to go with possibly.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 12:49:16 pm »

I've been working on a revamp of my old Creaturepack, which sports a pretty wide variety of D&D monsters. I'd be willing to collaborate; I haven't done much with multiple species entities (high elves, wood elves, etc) or castes yet.

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 07:11:56 pm »

Just would like to point out DnD without any settings already has an enormous amount of content, creatures in special. With a setting like Forgotten Realms, you can expect that to increase. And if you are using 3.5e books as a base, well...

This is the case, but Forgotten Realms doesn't have that many specific creatures. Now Eberron...

Actually, I'm working on a Halfling race right now that I'd be happy to contribute. They are more Tolkien than FR, but that is easily mended with a few entity changes. Same base creature, really. Even have the graphic set in the works.

So, how are you planning on doing this? Are you limiting yourself to PH or no Monster Manual 1/2 to start? Because I am all over being super helpful with this. Also, I don't hate D&D elves. They aren't ALL dicks. :D

That'd be awesome.

I was thinking of a plan along the lines of:
  • Get the dwarves (probably duergar) that the players are going to be playing done.
  • Get all the basic items from the Core game done (basic weapons / armour, fullplate etc).
  • Develop the other major PC races (Core and PHB).
  • Develop the major monstrous races (Monster Manual 1&2).
  • Fill creature list with shit tonnes of D&D related stuff.
  • Start trying to insert magic and then psionics.
  • Plan for the minor stuff from there.

I think I'll have the half-elves and half-orcs be part of the castes for those creatures.

I've been brainstorming for a mod of my own, and one of the things I want to do is throw some D&D monsters in there.  The first one I want to do is the Kython from the Book of Vile Darkness.  I don't know why, but I really liked those things as a sort of fantasy-genre xenomorph and thought their design would fit well in DF.

Don't know about Forgotten Realms, specifically.  It is just generic high fantasy.  I like the setting.  But there's not a whole lot of unique content in it besides the locations, characters, history, politics, etc... and those are all things that mostly won't port to DF very well.  So I'm not sure what a mod bearing the name would be about besides implementing a bunch of D&D-style content.

Kythons are cool as hell. They could easily be managed with cave dwellers with separate castes.

Imagine having a kython slaughtermaster turn up with a horde of others and just devastate your forces. How amazing would that be?

I've been working on a revamp of my old Creaturepack, which sports a pretty wide variety of D&D monsters. I'd be willing to collaborate; I haven't done much with multiple species entities (high elves, wood elves, etc) or castes yet.

That'd be awesome. :D
I Love Bacon

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 08:15:15 pm »

It used to pick up some interest before: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19094.0

I haven't done anything with Forgotten Realms since then, so it would be interesting to see it in the new version, with all the cool stuff Toady has added since then.

Deon, why are you everywhere? You're like the Brandon Sanderson of sprite making and roguelike modding. Seriously.
Deon is everywhere, heck, my friend recommended I check out another ASCII Roguelike called Cataclysm:DDA, and he was there too, heck his texturepack was part of the default game.  :D

Oh, and this is a awesome idea, never played DnD before but Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 was awesome, with the amazing creatures and powers (especially when I found my mage could talk to his familiar, I screamed like a schoolgirl) I hope this mod is made, I and curious to see how the magic and monsters are implemented. I would like the see familiars implemented as they could be interesting additions to military (transforming imp anyone?), and it would be cool to see alot of the magic implemented, but I think wild mages should atleast make the cut, due to the massive amount of !!FUN!! they bring(Nahal's Reckless Dweomer could either turn them to stone, or a woman, or just make the caster explode into sunfire.)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 08:43:13 pm by dirkdragonslayer »
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 03:20:39 am »

Deon is everywhere, heck, my friend recommended I check out another ASCII Roguelike called Cataclysm:DDA, and he was there too, heck his texturepack was part of the default game.  :D

Oh, and this is a awesome idea, never played DnD before but Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 was awesome, with the amazing creatures and powers (especially when I found my mage could talk to his familiar, I screamed like a schoolgirl) I hope this mod is made, I and curious to see how the magic and monsters are implemented. I would like the see familiars implemented as they could be interesting additions to military (transforming imp anyone?), and it would be cool to see alot of the magic implemented, but I think wild mages should atleast make the cut, due to the massive amount of !!FUN!! they bring(Nahal's Reckless Dweomer could either turn them to stone, or a woman, or just make the caster explode into sunfire.)

Yeah, he also made a huge mod for another zombie roguelike awhile back. D:

I'm warning you that I currently have absolutely no idea how to implement magic. I am no Meph (KING OF KINGS). I might be able to do some work twisting items to shoot syndromes and fireballs etc, but other than that the struggle will be real.

It might be the case that I make the mod up until the point where magic needs to be implemented, and then sit back and wait for Toady to bring magic to the game. :p
I Love Bacon

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 11:47:07 am »

I'm warning you that I currently have absolutely no idea how to implement magic. I am no Meph (KING OF KINGS). I might be able to do some work twisting items to shoot syndromes and fireballs etc, but other than that the struggle will be real.
Interactions are your friend. Sure, there are limitations, but still you can do a lot.

I'd be intrested in contributing a few things to this if this became less of a total conversion and more of a DnD content pack.

Either way, I recommend you settle for an edition to use as a base, or you'll have, say, 3.5e and 4e Eladrin (former's a planar being, latter's a fey-ish humanoid) causing confusion.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 12:34:58 pm »

Interactions are your friend. Sure, there are limitations, but still you can do a lot.

I'd be intrested in contributing a few things to this if this became less of a total conversion and more of a DnD content pack.

Either way, I recommend you settle for an edition to use as a base, or you'll have, say, 3.5e and 4e Eladrin (former's a planar being, latter's a fey-ish humanoid) causing confusion.

It will always be 3.5. :p Fuck 4e.
I Love Bacon

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 12:36:07 pm »

Prestidigitation should have a random chance of causing 1-10 minor syndromes. Like prismatic spray on a tiny scale.

Also, we can totally either figure out interactions or get someone who knows them to give us some pointers. Bay12 is the friendliest place on earth!

It will always be 3.5. :p Fuck 4e.

+1
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 12:42:22 pm »

I am no Meph (KING OF KINGS). I might be able to do some work twisting items to shoot syndromes and fireballs etc, but other than that the struggle will be real.

First: groan.

Second: I'd be willing to make some of the more difficult spells. I've already made shapechange, for example.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 12:48:43 pm »

I am no Meph (KING OF KINGS). I might be able to do some work twisting items to shoot syndromes and fireballs etc, but other than that the struggle will be real.

First: groan.

Second: I'd be willing to make some of the more difficult spells. I've already made shapechange, for example.

Here's a good point: Would things like material components for high-level spells be possible to implement?
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 01:16:47 pm »

With the new interaction-trigger, I think so. Hmm.

Which is to say not without DFHack, of course.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 02:01:39 pm »

Honestly, an exhaustive repertoire of Spells wouldn't be necessary to start. We could get the feel of DND:FR with basic spell effects and leave the complicated stuff for when DFhack gets back up and running.

How long is a day in interaction ticks? I'm thinking about spells-per-day.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 02:22:34 pm »

1200 in fort mode, 86400 in adventure mode.

Thus is our problem, heh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3