Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: D&D / Faerūn Interest Check  (Read 6919 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: D&D / Faerūn Interest Check
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 02:39:01 pm »

I know one of the things that is supposed to happen in DnD but no one ever does is that you are supposed to have to go back to a higher level wizard/monk or whatever to learn more spells or skills once you have enough xp. Could you have a workshop that grants interactions? If so, one could have adv mode and fort mode interactions with different ticks.

This does invite exploits.... but hey, we can already spawn magma on top of enemies with DfHack. That's nothing new.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 02:46:21 pm »

Yes, all of that.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 03:43:13 pm »

So yeah, lots of interest then.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 03:51:12 pm »

Interactions are your friend. Sure, there are limitations, but still you can do a lot.

I'd be intrested in contributing a few things to this if this became less of a total conversion and more of a DnD content pack.

Either way, I recommend you settle for an edition to use as a base, or you'll have, say, 3.5e and 4e Eladrin (former's a planar being, latter's a fey-ish humanoid) causing confusion.

It will always be 3.5. :p Fuck 4e.
I don't understand the hate for 4e, but I don't want to start a discussion on this because it'd derail the thread pretty bad. I hope you are ok with modding in stuff from 4e that is not present in any form in 3.5e.

Either way, you should probably keep a list on the OP of stuff people submitted as it goes on. I'll probably do some creatures and/or non-dfhack interactions.

EDIT: I guess I should state my opinion that a DnD Mod would benefit from having stuff from many campaign settings, rather than only one. It's not like DF can recreate the political geography of a setting.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:58:18 pm by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 05:13:50 pm »

I don't understand the hate for 4e, but I don't want to start a discussion on this because it'd derail the thread pretty bad. I hope you are ok with modding in stuff from 4e that is not present in any form in 3.5e.

Either way, you should probably keep a list on the OP of stuff people submitted as it goes on. I'll probably do some creatures and/or non-dfhack interactions.

EDIT: I guess I should state my opinion that a DnD Mod would benefit from having stuff from many campaign settings, rather than only one. It's not like DF can recreate the political geography of a setting.

4e is good for heroic adventure. The issue is that DF is anything BUT heroic adventure. 3.5 is a better model for adventure at the lower levels.

I will do. I'm thinking that we shouldn't really start until we get a reasonably stable build of DF (which really shouldn't be much longer).

I think I might just try to keep it as campaign-neutral as possible. Introducing Eberron stuff would mess everything up, as would Dark Sun stuff. We should focus on the core generic fantasy first (human, high elves & wood elves, dwarves, duergar, drow, goblins, orcs, kobolds, halflings, gnomes) and then expand from there.
I Love Bacon

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2014, 05:32:36 pm »

4e is good for heroic adventure. The issue is that DF is anything BUT heroic adventure. 3.5 is a better model for adventure at the lower levels.

I will do. I'm thinking that we shouldn't really start until we get a reasonably stable build of DF (which really shouldn't be much longer).

I think I might just try to keep it as campaign-neutral as possible. Introducing Eberron stuff would mess everything up, as would Dark Sun stuff. We should focus on the core generic fantasy first (human, high elves & wood elves, dwarves, duergar, drow, goblins, orcs, kobolds, halflings, gnomes) and then expand from there.

I can agree with this. I think the issue is that the races themselves can be very different from setting to setting, much less from edition to edition. I do not like 4e, but that doesn't mean everyone has to agree with me :)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2014, 06:14:28 pm »

I think 5e is better in this regard,  actually.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

(int) magicMissile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2014, 06:53:22 pm »

I think 5e is better in this regard,  actually.

And ACKS is the best roguelike simulator on P&P in general, especially at low level. :p

I haven't looked into 5e and I'm probably not going to until the PHB comes out.
I Love Bacon

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2014, 07:49:12 am »

Just an update, I'm nearly through the next slog of D&D creatures and I'll release the creaturepack pretty soon; you can feel free to use whatever you like and I'll send you an advance copy if you want before I release it. It also does include a few custom non-D&D creatures but I think they're worth including since many of them are awesome.

A small list of stuff I've added:

Drow (playable, with full custom entity)
Driders (playable in adventure mode)
Centaurs (playable)
Bugbears (playable)
Hobgoblins (playable)
Orcs (playable)
Halflings (playable)
Derro
Mountain gnomes
Tons of underground creatures (gricks, darkmantles, otyughs, etc)
Many oozes and slimes (incl. gelatinous cube)
Many new castes of goblin (redcaps, mountain gobbos, jungle gobbos, etc)
Way too many varieties of dragon
Lots of sprites/fey (nixies, dryads, grigs, etc)
Giant worms (purple worm, remorhaz)
Good outsiders - basically opposite of demons (archons, etc)
Bunch of aboveground monsters (owlbears, etc)
Domesticated subterranean creatures - most of these are custom (rat spiders, giant orb-weavers, rock spiders, riding lizards, etc)
Lots of new magma creatures (including the terrifying giant magma spider)

And my personal favorite, the much-dreaded Purring Hornet, which is a dragon-sized insect that is the result of a Purring Maggot reaching maturity. It's basically a buzzing mass of tentacles, acidic ichor, and chitin as hard as obsidian.

And more to come, I'm really just getting started. Once I get focused I can crank out about 100 new entries in a weekend.
Pages: 1 2 [3]