Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: True Decomposition  (Read 1356 times)

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
True Decomposition
« on: August 25, 2014, 02:42:09 am »

I love thee, Dwarf Fortress, for leading me to the 'Death' and 'Decomposition' pages of Wikipedia :> Classic, and I know more for it!

True decomposition :| The DF wiki says:

A corpse has several levels of decay, it will begin as "(creature or name) corpse", progress to "rotten (creature or name) corpse", "(creature or name) partially decayed corpse", and then to "(creature or name) skeleton", and will remain a skeleton indefinitely. If the creature had had parts ripped or cut off before death, the corpse will be described as "mutilated corpse" and "partial skeleton" in respective descriptions, and the parts (if still on the map) will decay into a type of bone depending on the part. A creature with parts that were pulped (i.e. exploded into gore, cloven asunder, torn into shreds, etc.) before death will be described as a "mangled corpse".

The wikiPEDIA says (with some severe edits):

STAGE ONE: 'Fresh': Nothing too special here, a fresh dead body (as fresh as it will ever be, anyway..). Your cells go rogue and release enzymes that promote deconstruction (BETRAYAL! Lets genetically edit that out of ourselves somehow.. anyway..). You go stiff, your last bits of oxygen vacate the premises, and your cooling corpse starts to become an acid-and-gas factory. Also, "Blowflies and flesh flies are the first carrion insects to arrive, and seek a suitable oviposition site." This stage is present enough in DF as is and needs no love..

STAGE TWO: 'Bloat' (mmm!):
"The accumulation of gases within the bodily cavity causes the distention of the abdomen and gives a cadaver its overall bloated appearance. The gases produced also cause natural liquids and liquefying tissues to become frothy. As the pressure of the gases within the body increases, fluids are forced to escape from natural orifices and enter the surrounding environment. The buildup of pressure combined with the loss of integrity of the skin may also cause the body to rupture." Corpses in-game should rupture (which would be mood-damaging to the undisciplined to see) Maggot feeding, and the accumulation of gases within the body, eventually leads to post-mortem skin ruptures which will then further allow purging of gases and fluids into the surrounding environment. Towards the end of this stage the body should be stinking twice as hard and generating maggots and flies fairly generously, maybe even small amounts of disturbing liquid discharge..

STAAAAGE THREEEE: 'Active Decay' (things are getting serious):
Active decay is characterized by the period of greatest mass loss. This loss occurs as a result of both the voracious feeding of maggots and the purging of decomposition fluids into the surrounding environment. The purged fluids accumulate around the body and create a cadaver decomposition island (CDI). Liquefaction of tissues and disintegration become apparent during this time and strong odours persist.[4] The end of active decay is signaled by the migration of maggots away from the body to pupate.[6] Have to get this out of the way, first: I love (LOVE) that some poor fool has to deal with 'cadaver decomposition islands' so often that they said "SCREW IT!!" and started abbreviating :) Anyway, this would obviously create a moderate pool of highly unlovable liquid slurry around your dear departed dwarf (or meaty corpse in general), the stink would continue, and apparently the maggots would disappear into a majestic flysplosion..

ALL POINTS THIS ROUND ARE DOUBLED!! STAAAAAAAA-AAAAAGE FOOOOO-OOOOURRRRRrrrrr! 'Advanced Decay':
"Decomposition is largely inhibited during advanced decay due to the loss of readily available cadaveric material. Insect activity is also reduced during this stage. When the carcass is located on soil, the area surrounding it will show evidence of vegetation death. The CDI surrounding the carcass will display an increase in soil carbon and nutrients, such as phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and magnesium; changes in pH; and a significant increase in soil nitrogen." Okay, I'll apologize for the flashy intro to stage four, and the whole 2x points thing (I'm not doing that), because stage four isn't the best.. Intensity dropping overall, sadly: less bugs, less stink, less dwarfyness. Also the CDI-slurry kills any present plant-life while simultaneously infusing the ground with nutrients..

stage 5 'Dry/Remains'(its crap):
"During the dry/remains stage, the resurgence of plant growth around the CDI may occur and is a sign that the nutrients present in the surrounding soil have not yet returned to their normal levels.[9] All that remains of the cadaver at this stage is dry skin, cartilage, and bones,[4] which will become dry and bleached if exposed to the elements.[7] If all soft tissue is removed from the cadaver, it is referred to as completely skeletonized, but if only portions of the bones are exposed, it is referred to as partially skeletonised." Here you basically end up with the current in-game dried up skeleton, just with bonus radial planting ground..

So, the tl;dr: slurry n' flies.

There are other circumstances though, like rotting in the underground caves (sounds fungus-friendly), or underwater, or in a sealed and dry environment (much like a dwarven bedroom or hospital) that aren't nearly as dramatic as an open-air, open-element, fly-driven meltdown :> All this would really change is adding a gruesome penalty for leaving your dead outside or in wet or bug-habitat areas.. Then there are other specifics, like whether or not your dwarfcorpse got assaulted by flies before being hauled to a dry place, or whether or not a single wayward fly could slip through into your corpse-storage and infest the whole bunch into melting gooey stink-piles or not..

Now I just keep imagining the CDI-tsunami a big field of 50+ slain enemies would generate before it dried up :D Also, none of this is relevant at all if you stick them in a coffin (or lava accompanied by an honorary slab, or lava and forget the slab) before that third stage kicks in..

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: True Decomposition
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 04:15:25 pm »

It certainly sounds like a fun idea to me; though for realism, I'd skip stages 1-4 in biomes that have extreme dryness + high/low temperature. I just can't see a realistic decay addition forgetting about natural mummification, not when so many RL civilization's death rites have been influenced by it.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:38:58 pm »

Right now we have Miasma, which is probably the game's equivalent to the gases but all dwarves get is a bad thought. I'm sure illness is planned at some stage.

Miasma also disappears over time which is a shame. If you were to create some pit that got filled with enemy corpses on a regular basis, it wouldn't air out quickly enough for it to be sanitary.

Bad thoughts from seeing corpses is a start but having to cross a corridor filled with corpses of other invaders should be demoralizing even to the bravest goblin.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 01:14:02 am »

^^Perhaps reducing the severity of the existing bad thought and adding one for seeing the corpse of a member of your entity? It would stack with itself, so if you're from the same civ it would be bad but if it was the same group it'd be terrible.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 01:42:57 pm »

I like this.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 12:55:07 am »

The CDI fluids would only have to occupy the tile the dwarf is on, as I'm sure one corpse can't generate more than a 3x3 tile's worth of liquid. However, it would be cool if the fluid could inflict a syndrome on unbooted dwarves foolish enough to wander around the corpse pile.

What would be the absolute most cool application of this suggestion is if resurrected corpses became fluid-spewing fly-making factories of bad thoughts and general decay. Plus syndromes.

I mean really, if you're wrestling with a corpse, you're gonna run into some health issues.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 07:50:29 am »

small question, do you think zombies should also go through this stage of decomposition, and it produces a progressively worse thought from seeing one based on the level of decomposition it's going through ? For some reason I like the idea of an unholy abomination leaving a trail of sludge. It also gives zombies a much needed Nerf while simultaneously buffing them.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 08:05:31 am »

Zombies dont decay, and Im not sure if thats for simplicity or by Toady's purposeful wish (i.e. magic makes them stop decaying)
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 08:43:15 am »

I'm well aware that zombies don't decay. I just thought that it might be a good idea to make zombies decay and add the advanced levels of decomposition. And before you ask, no the zombies will not decay to death, they will only decay to skeleton.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 10:55:45 am »

If zombies decayed, necromancer towers/sieges would consist almost entirely of skeletons.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 12:13:58 pm »

fine, you got me there. Maybe only zombies reanimated by evil biomes should decay?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 01:21:24 pm »

Or it could simply be slowed down a lot.  If it took, say, 5-10 years after being animated for a zombie to decay instead of the usual month or two, necromancers would probably have a nice skeleton-zombie mix, depending on how long they've been necromancing and how often they come by fresh corpses.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 01:26:47 pm »

I can agree with that