Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engraving blocks to build engraved block walls  (Read 1601 times)

Malaclypse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engraving blocks to build engraved block walls
« on: August 25, 2014, 01:50:05 pm »

The basic idea for this briefly mentioned in another thread but that thread was not about the idea, and my idea is a little different, so I am posting it separately.

Basically, I think it should be possible to create engravings on blocks, and then build engraved block walls using those blocks. Of course, part of the joy of engraving is how random it can be, so being able to make a room engraved with only the best engravings should not be easy. To compensate for this (and increase realism), building block walls with engraved blocks should run the risk of damaging/destroying the engravings, with the chance of damage being dependent on the masonry skill of the dwarf building the wall. So you can engrave a bunch of blocks and pick out the most interesting, highest quality engravings to adorn the walls of your fortress, but you risk losing the most interesting, highest quality engravings in the process. And the creators of masterwork engravings destroyed in such a way will surely be unhappy, and particularly unhappy with the dwarf responsible for the destruction of their work.

It should also be possible to deconstruct the walls and get the engraved blocks back, but the risk of destruction when doing this should be much higher, though still dependent on the masonry skill of the dwarf doing the deconstruction. And perhaps also on the skill of the dwarf that built the wall, as if it was poorly built it might be harder to dismantle without damage to the engravings.

This is where a less fleshed out version of the idea shows up briefly in another thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28846.msg473308#msg473308

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving blocks to build engraved block walls
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 07:35:00 am »

This has been suggested countless times over the years. IIRC Toady is going to include this, though there are issues he hasn't decided how to handle yet.

The main issue with engraving constructions is what happens when wall/floor is deconstructed? Should the engraving just disappear (which would cause unhappy though to engraver)? From my point of view, it wouldn't be right to save the engraving in block/rock since those can be used later to create something completely different, like throne, table or mug. It wouldn't be realistic to have engraving in wall, after deconstruction saving the engraving to block and then still having it when the block has been turned into crafts.

As for realism, I can't honestly think any instance where evidence points out that the blocks have been engraved before the wall/floor has been constructed, at least not in 1400 century or before. The pyramids in Ancient Egypt? Engraved after construction. Churches, monasteries and cathedrals during the Middle Age? Engraved and/or painted after construction.

Oh, and just FYI, in suggestion forum it's always better idea to post in existing threads if your suggestion is the same or closely related. Even necroing the old threads are fine.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 04:04:33 pm »

This has been suggested countless times over the years. IIRC Toady is going to include this, though there are issues he hasn't decided how to handle yet.

The main issue with engraving constructions is what happens when wall/floor is deconstructed? Should the engraving just disappear (which would cause unhappy though to engraver)? From my point of view, it wouldn't be right to save the engraving in block/rock since those can be used later to create something completely different, like throne, table or mug. It wouldn't be realistic to have engraving in wall, after deconstruction saving the engraving to block and then still having it when the block has been turned into crafts.

As for realism, I can't honestly think any instance where evidence points out that the blocks have been engraved before the wall/floor has been constructed, at least not in 1400 century or before. The pyramids in Ancient Egypt? Engraved after construction. Churches, monasteries and cathedrals during the Middle Age? Engraved and/or painted after construction.

Oh, and just FYI, in suggestion forum it's always better idea to post in existing threads if your suggestion is the same or closely related. Even necroing the old threads are fine.

I'm pretty sure that the Greeks liked to pre-assemble their temple carvings, decorated columns being the most common example.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 01:15:44 am »

I think just allowing constructions to be engraved would be great. Bonus points if destroying a masterwork results in an instant grudge.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 09:18:40 am »

I think just allowing constructions to be engraved would be great. Bonus points if destroying a masterwork results in an instant grudge.
Sweet Armok man, are you mad?
But seriously, I engrave everything, then decide I want an extension...
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 10:55:11 am »

Destroying masterwork engravings isn't that bad as long as the engraver made many.

Maybe you should be able to engrave construction only if it's made from a raw material such as stone, logs or ore and never if it's been made of blocks. It's the only thing that would get me to play with invasions where enemies can dig into your fortress, I don't mind the slaughter and chaos, just let me make my fortress neat and engraved again when it's over

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 03:13:36 pm »

I have an idea which could circumvent this: What if, rather than allowing constructions to be engraved or have engravable blocks, it were made that a legendary mason will build walls "indistinguishable from natural stone." (or some similar sort of flavour text.) These walls would be literally indistinguishable from smoothed natural stone, aside from their description or something. So they would require a pick to mine through them, and could be engraved on, and, most importantly, they would allow your fortress to maintain its uniform appearance in the event of tunneling.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game