Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Initial Naga discussion  (Read 25703 times)

Eko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Initial Naga discussion
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2014, 07:57:40 pm »

Yes, quite right.  I haven't had any major updates, but perhaps a small update is better than none.

I've decided that it is definitely best to stop sole development on this.  I've learned that I am not good at managing a project, just working on small bits of it.  I can't seem to break pieces into manageable chunks, so I get overwhelmed and end up not working on the project at all, instead of working on a bit at a time.

I want to clean up the files that I have, make some more progress, and upload this to something like github, where I can still make edits and change things, but others can grab/develop/edit as they see fit as well.

I've also stopped playing DF for a little bit.  This is something I do, rotate through entertainment forms many times a year.  All of this together has lead to this project being on a standstill.  That said, the idea, development and overall structure of the race is still very much in a solid place, it is just the execution that I can't quite bring up to form. 

Decisions that I've made are to stick with a similar noble structure to the dwarves, with modified names.  I really like the "get deeper as you get more important" idea, and I'm trying to fill that in accordingly.  I've also set on making a full addon look, and just overwriting one section of it when I get that script working. 

I've kind of resigned myself, speaking of the script, to making this for 40.xx, simply due to the ease of making that script work.  I plan on making a branch in the github deposit when I make it be for 40.xx development. 

Anyway, I didn't want to write this, as I hate failure, but it has gone on too long without an update, so I feel like I must relinquish control to someone (hopefully someone will help me pick it up...) who can actually see it through as a project, and not just a section of it.  My apologies to all who were keenly interested in this. 

I will update this thread, and maybe make a new one with a more complete and comprehensive goal list and update/layout soon.  Hopefully as long as I'm not focusing on all the rest that needs to be done, and just focusing on the github portion, I can get that done.

Thanks for the support of this idea and the wonderful suggestions everyone, and hopefully at some point soon, with help, this can be a reality. 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2014, 08:38:05 pm »

PLEASE post the things you have done, and be it for an online backup at least. Worst case, if you lose interest in DF, someone else can pick it up. Too often have I seen people work on something, to later re-appear and say "Oh, I've forgotten all about that, the files are gone."

Please put your test version up on Dffd. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2014, 05:07:44 pm »

:(
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2014, 06:04:29 pm »

A bit sad, it seemed to have quite a lot already working, and it really looked like a fun race to play.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2014, 10:52:42 am »

Does anyone have any idea how to reach Eko?

I'd hate to start working on a water-based race, just for him to re-appear suddenly with the raws/scripts that are already done.

HugeOtter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2014, 02:36:32 am »

Does anyone have any idea how to reach Eko?

I'd hate to start working on a water-based race, just for him to re-appear suddenly with the raws/scripts that are already done.

I think the silence speaks for itself. Its up to you if you want to work on it.

Maybe layout the basics...?

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2014, 06:26:42 am »

To avoid some kind of plot-twist with comeback of Eko in the middle of water-based race development, i humbly recommend working on something more...classic. Goblins, anyone?

Vitellozzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2014, 06:37:40 am »

We have left things. Maybe even frost giants or automatons?
After all there are the festivities in those days, maybe Eko will return even for a hello after that?

Eko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2015, 03:51:51 pm »

Good afternoon all. 

I'm resurrecting a very old topic, just to give a long-overdue update.

This is an old (backup) copy of my Naga changes.  If I can find the changes that I had been making earlier, I will post updates here.  This backup was taken just before I started working on scripting, so there shouldn't be all that much that's missing.  I'm going to work on this as a side project, although I think I'll try and update to 2014 before I do too much else. 

As with the quick update I did to the Orcs, I decided to put this on github so that I don't have to pay for hosting.

https://github.com/Empyrial/DFMWNaga

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #129 on: July 30, 2015, 03:41:33 am »

You have a funny timing. 3 days ago I started working on the Naga. You know, Eko is not here, almost one year no post in this topic, all the raws/scripts are gone... I was working on it as a secret project, to be released when I come back to DF. Just when I start working on it, you show up.

Spoiler: cover (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: workshops (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: concept (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I see your raws online, but the scripts are... gone?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:50:52 am by Meph »

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2015, 02:30:26 pm »

Ah, finally a civ for those of us who can't not flood their fortress.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 13, 2015, 09:25:24 pm »

Consider this a reply to both this topic and This thread made in the general modding forum. Had some thoughts on this.

Assuming a hack for the pathing issue can't be found, I think being able to place aquifer tiles where you want (dfhack aquifer tiles should be able to drain water like natural ones right?) and having your nagas swim to safety instead of drown makes player-based workarounds much more forgiving:

-Purely aquatic creatures can be useful for defense, whether to fill your moat with deadly carp or keep a ranged defender out of melee
-If obtaining resources from aquatic pets is difficult with tricky workarounds they should be part the late game with a correspondingly high reward
-According to the wiki, aquatic creatures won't use nest boxes which is a shame because flooding/draining a hatchery could have been fun
-Air drowning pets can't be butchered and in any case my experience with the succubus mod found it was much more efficient to butcher summoned pets directly rather than wait for them to breed.
-Perhaps ITEMCORPSE could be used? This is starting to sound like a truly bizarre set up but it seems possible to summon a breeding pet which is not useful on it's own but will breed large numbers of another caste that can be air drowned to leave useful endgame items? What kind of bizarre creature  of the depths would this be?
-On a practical note, summoned aquatic creatures could be given a temporary nobreath and paralysis syndrome if they air drown quicker than your nagas can pit them into a body of water.

-For amphibious/land pets, consider crustaceans. If dwarves can have boulder crabs, what kind of war crabs and lobsters can the nagas have?
-Giant Sponges. Consider the defensive potential of a wall of tame giant sponges. 

-You can have your melee nagas engage the enemy near water hoping to push them into the depths. I wonder if units will path through water once in combat mode in .42 in the same way dwarves will sometimes climb?
-The fact that wagons WILL path through water can be used defensively with a safe water entrance and a trapped land entrance

On some more basic notes based on playing other masterwork races:
-Producing basic furniture and blocks is essential and defines the early game and first impressions. For me, it was getting the ork factory to mass produce bricks, the warlocks making ethereal blocks, and in the reborn succubus mode I refused to move beyond my temporary wooden camp until my slade tower was under construction.
-This suggests that it would be nice if coral production was faster than it realistically should. It just wouldn't feel right to me to NOT have all my basic furniture made out of coral. It's only got a value of 2 which seems acceptable to me for mass production and it's got a stockpile category all to itself.
-A timer based script would still be excellent for coral! Making mass production of coral items very affordable in terms of resources and time would be great but not seeing the results until a season on more would be perfect. You could set a whole load of tables and chairs to be 'grown' with plans to make a legendary dining room but when a larger than expected migration wage comes in expecting beds they're going to have to sleep on the floor for a while. It makes a slight change to the usual early fortress set up.
-Nagas need glass, if only to gaze out into the ocean they should by all rights be swimming in. Or perhaps amber (another underused vanilla material) windows instead?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]