Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Initial Naga discussion  (Read 25681 times)

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: Initial Naga discussion
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2014, 12:24:34 am »

For the bad thoughts from the lack of clothes, did you look at fixnakedregular? It is called from init.lua  for the succubi and I had a few naked citizen who stayed extastic.

Bad thoughts do appear but they never stayed long enough to take effect.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2014, 08:23:01 am »

Jealous, I was wanting to try my hand at Nagas before I got caught up in actual work coding actual games.

Was going to have three castes, spell casters, agile, and tank dudes with steel skin.

Was also planning on making "spawning pools" that automatically generate a certain number of certain creatures on a fixed interval. Higher tiers would have stronger creatures. Would start at like a poisonous snake, and end at a massive hydra.

Eko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2014, 05:04:22 pm »

I can't believe I have let this sit without updates for so long. 

I'll be honest, I haven't spend what I should have spent on this project the last few days this week, so my apologies.  I've been working on porting a r5 script to our dfhack installation to try and bring the building-hacks script in, but I'm having issues. 

I've now got 36 buildings setup and ready, and I'm busy creating reactions for them.  I will be working next week on a plan, diagram and overall tech tree/path for the race so that I can start on balance and tuning.

Onto the discussion from a few posts ago -
Naga will be split, scale-wise, between castes and genders.  Female 1/2 scale, male full scale.  This, I think, is really the best way to go.  This will allow for several things - A better reinforcement of the idea that male castes are melee, and female ranged - allows for better early game militia coverage in a pinch, but still makes the full race quite vulnerable overall - allows for the lack of armor to not be as much of a hindrance to archers/mages who get too close - allows for the scale upgrades (a serious investment) to be actually worth it for some castes. 

Taldrus - Thanks for the comments.  I appreciate the egg-laying suggestions.  I have, linked earlier in the thread, old creature raws.  I'd post the current ones, but I've mucked with the castes for greater diversity (not vital diversity, just attribute/skill/interactions, just for a bit more flavor), and broken something.  That's on my list, but any changes you make to the raws as attached, I can quickly add to my current ones for testing.  Also - While the naga are interested in the HFS as far as an end goal (everyone should WANT candy...), that isn't the driving force for them.  My idea is that they want to expand beyond the seas, so the main focus for them is establishing several forward bases on land that they can use for positioning, should they need to vacate the seas, as their gods have told them they might need to.  All in all, they'll be flooding a fortress, just with habitable, and usable, 3/7 water (not floods of full 7/7).

Boltgun - I've tried fixnakedregular, but for whatever reason, I'm still seeing happiness drop like a stone months into my playtests.  I'll mess around with it some more, maybe it actually isn't the nudity that's causing issues...

Omni - I'd love to hear your thougts and ideas.  I think we're on the same page with castes, I have spell casters (but I have 2), one agile male, and one tanky male.  I also added in a caretaker/feeding/protective caste, as I thought there needed to be a less militant caste for balance.    The spawning pools is actually a great idea.  I love the basis of that idea, and maybe can do something like that with the creature pit that I have.  The pit is an animal training/feeding center that has an addon to it which will allow for creature unlocks.  I've been looking for a second addon, so maybe that could be part of it. 

I hate to leave you without something substantial, so I thought I'd toss a story out for you -

I have loved the recent thread that smake made, doing arena tests, so I tried a few of my creations out...  Suffice to say that an ironclad giant spitting cobra, a war-trained shark and a fully grown hydra can take down an ogre.  Similarly, it is pretty even between groups of unarmored orcs/uruks/ologs and myrmidons/raiders/oracles.  The oracles have an interaction that puts people to sleep from range, which helps.  myrmidons are surprisingly resilient, but pack a punch (or tail whip, as the case may be) that can hurt.  Currently, armed is a different story.  Ronin still destroy everything.  I'll see if adding some kind of a trident would help with that.  Still, I think they're in a pretty good place so far.  I'm pretty happy, and I'm liking the way these particular experiments have turned out.

I hope to update some time this coming week, but certainly next weekend I hope to have a full flowchart of buildings and reactions. 
Cheers. 

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2014, 08:45:31 am »

Well, most of my excitement was from "automated" buildings of the gnomes, with a more nature/fantasy feel than mechanical. Using scripts similar to the gnomes, but say, checking for adjacent water tiles instead of power.

The two main ideas were the spawning pools that spawn allied-but-not-owned creatures that act as a sort of defense system. The other was having large pools with various qualities, such as greatly boosting regeneration for Naga while in the pool, boosting combat prowess, removing bad thoughts, increasing movement speed, etc. You could even make Naga learn skills by just being in the pool, basically a passive library system. You could make certain "spells" only available to spellcasters while they are stationed in one of the pools.

Basically, my background is in scripting, and I was noticing some of the potential that wasn't being lived up to in some aspects with some of the dfhack scripts. There's immense potential to do some crazy stuff.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:51:20 am by omniclasm »

snowhusky5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2014, 07:17:41 pm »

It would be neat if the tridents could be thrusted for a very short ranged (but not melee) strike. Or if they could be double tridents (2x3dents ftw). Spears and trident type weapons do sort of suggest striking snakes too, so the Naga could specialize in them. Not useful against every enemy type, though (undead).

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2014, 08:57:36 am »

Will the nagas have 3 heads? Traditional Hindi nagas do.

Also, will their tail have a [GRASP] tag? I ask because snakes with arms seems... wrong.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2014, 09:34:30 am »

Also, will their tail have a [GRASP] tag? I ask because snakes with arms seems... wrong.
They have 1 head and 2 arms. And they are not snakes, but more the centauren version of snakes.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

snowhusky5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2014, 09:37:15 am »

Admittedly, it would be pretty funny if their tails had a [GRASP] tag :P

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2014, 10:24:52 am »

I'd agree if you could limit it to wrestling/melee, but they would hold crossbows and shields with their tails as well. Realisticly, they couldnt move then.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2014, 12:22:15 pm »

They have 1 head and 2 arms. And they are not snakes, but more the centauren version of snakes.
Oh, I was thinking of D&D nagas and an stone carving I saw.

It still would be cool to have a 3 headed, no armed caste.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2014, 12:38:39 pm »

There will be a 3 (and up to 7) headed pet snake warbeast, which makes more sense from the prespective of modders. Civ members without arms complain about missing GRASP body parts (hands) and will be "too injured" for all tasks.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2014, 09:39:32 pm »

Oh yeah, they couldn't do anything, forgot. That grasp modifier is really annoying; I'm trying to mod Mind Flayers, but if I give their tentacles grasp tags (for wrestling),  I will get one carrying six crossbows, or such ridiculousness.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2014, 10:34:53 pm »

Oh yeah, they couldn't do anything, forgot. That grasp modifier is really annoying; I'm trying to mod Mind Flayers, but if I give their tentacles grasp tags (for wrestling),  I will get one carrying six crossbows, or such ridiculousness.

It's more likely that they'd turn into wrestling fiends with that many limbs.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2014, 02:24:08 pm »

It's more likely that they'd turn into wrestling fiends with that many limbs.
WRESTLE WRESTLE WRE-*snap*. "Urist McMindflayer, that's the third wrestling partner you've killed!"

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2014, 04:34:05 pm »

More than 2 "grasp" tends to be abused by the players in one specific way, which is giving a lot of shields, to be able to block virtually any attack.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9