Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [SPOILERS] What does it mean when a dwarf has nightmares?  (Read 1030 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[SPOILERS] What does it mean when a dwarf has nightmares?
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:43:56 am »

I don't care about spoilers, but please don't go too far with spoiling. XD

What does it mean when a dwarf has "had a terrifying nightmare about an army of the dead" or "has been tormented in nightmares by the dead lately"?
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: [SPOILERS] What does it mean when a dwarf has nightmares?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 12:25:28 pm »

I don't care about spoilers, but please don't go too far with spoiling. XD

What does it mean when a dwarf has "had a terrifying nightmare about an army of the dead" or "has been tormented in nightmares by the dead lately"?
The latter is something that can happen when you have a ghost in your fortress.

The former is something which never actually happens - it is merely an unused fragment of code from long before the first ever release of Dwarf Fortress (related to a Wizard visiting your fortress and taking one of your dwarves on a journey to stop a necromancer - if you refused to help, one of your dwarves would have that nightmare, then you would get an undead invasion). You can read a bit about it in DF Talk #21.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.