Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dorfs won't haul (Starter Pack 40.10 r1)  (Read 682 times)

Griffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dorfs won't haul (Starter Pack 40.10 r1)
« on: August 25, 2014, 09:12:36 pm »

So I have a fairly well-developed fortress, been running for nearly 10 years now, but I have recently ran into an issue of my dwarves neglecting to haul finished goods out of my two craftdwarf shops. I have plenty of stockpiles space + bins for every item in them (mostly bone crafts and bone bolts, but also like 6 artifacts). I even dug out new stockpile space that has remained empty while the shops are still full. I have roughly 30-40 idle dwarves in my dining area, all with hauling enabled.

I'm going to try and just deconstruct the shops to see if that will force the items to be hauled, but how can I prevent this in the future?

Lyra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfs won't haul (Starter Pack 40.10 r1)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 10:57:02 pm »

Are any stockpiles set to take from links only?

Are there any stockpiles at all which are set to take from or give to the offending workshops?

Do you have any burrows set up?

A lot of things can mess with stockpile flow; I know I'm forgetting some of them.  There's also a well-known bug in which dwarves won't use ammo that's stored in bins, so you might want to disable bins on your ammo stockpiles.

Griffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 11:58:58 pm »

The stockpiles aren't set to take/give from anywhere, but I did not know about the ammo bug, thanks for the tip.

The issue isn't that they won't use what's in the stockpile, rather they just won't take whats in the shops to the stockpile. When I deconstructed the shops, all my idle dwarves came over and properly put away all the items like it was no big deal. Even when I had no one working in the shop, all the crafts and bolts just sat in there, waiting to be used/traded. If I set them to dump, dorfs would come and get them (all the more reason to quantum stockpiles i suppose)

clownwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 01:49:30 am »

I'm 99.9% sure you accidentally set a burrow to restrict your workshops.

Pressing 'w' twice by accident can really screw up some forts. They really need to set that restrict key to something else.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 12:06:46 pm »

The stockpiles aren't set to take/give from anywhere

It sounds like you didn't actually go to the stockpile to check.  q it and make sure you have not accidentally set it to "Take from links only".  It's extremely easy to press a there by accident.

"Take from links only" is a separate setting, alongside the give/take from stockpile/workshop settings.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz